• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • jam-bo

I’m on the sofa. I went riding outside today…

zilog6128

boring 😀

gazhurst
    Free Member

Just done the ZTR B race….ouch, ouch and treble ouch!!!

My Garmin has given me a recovery time of 3.5 days 😳

nathb
    Free Member

Just finished the KISS race, sat in my garage still unable to move…

Never a dull moment in my Zwift quest, my teamviewer failed for the first time ever about 9 miles into the race. I raced the rest of it blind, with only my Zwift mobile link. I couldn’t even remember the amount of miles I needed to do wether it was 19.1 or 19.3 so I sat on it until the 20 mile marker.. I’m dead.

andeh

Zwift is really humbling. Compared to my riding mates, I’d say I was reasonably fit, but Zwfting along, struggling to keep up with the SUB 2.5 (read, pretty much 3.5) group ride is pretty demoralising. I was buggered after 40km, pretty much sat at my FTP, nearly fell down the stairs.

Just think though, just think of your friends faces as you smash that 5km fireroad climb in spring, without even breaking a sweat. I feel like a caterpillar, getting ready to beast all my mates when I escape the winter cocoon 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Provisionally 30th, Strava is very slow to update – must be getting bombarded!

Looking at the stats no wonder I died a little!

How did you find it crosshair?

Little disaspointed that I could only see/talk to people in my category, would have been fun to see all 400 riders! Well for the 9 miles I had a screen.

andeh
    I feel like a caterpillar, getting ready to beast all my mates when I escape the winter cocoo

Haha good I like.

crosshair
    Free Member

Hmm. Still some annoying issues with my Kickr Snap. Lost all resistance during the ZSUN chaingang ride so I was hitting 110rpm to make the required watts. I attempted a fix but lost the pack.

So I regrouped and set off up the Mountain for KISS B and my first proper B race. I’m certainly not a B-Cat climber, that’s for sure 😀
    I finished about 66/93 I reckon.

cheers_drive

Just did my first ever Zwift race, the course didn’t suit me at 95kg but I pushed far harder than I would if I wasn’t racing. Had a good race with a Chris Deacon, is that anyone on here?
    Why do I struggle to get my HR up compared to on the road, yet my legs hurt more? My cadence was normal 80-100

blitz

Wahoo Blue SC Bluetooth and Ant+ sensor on Amazon lightening deal at the moment if anyone is interested. £33.99 down from £49.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-Cadence-Sensor-Android-Computers/dp/B00NW882KM

eemy
    Free Member

95kg-ish as well. Week 2 of Zwift for me and thoroughly enjoying it although tonight’s race was hard.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

it was my first one tonight(Kiss 8pm)entered as D, but found myself with mostly C riders what’s the score with the results ?

fifeandy
    Free Member

@cheers_drive no-one knows exactly why HR tends not to come as high indoor.
    Two common theories are:
    A) you’re not using your core/support muscles to balance indoor.
    B) you don’t get distracted in the same way by steering/potholes etc, and with the lack of distraction the only thing to focus on is the pain and whilst it feels terrible, you aren’t going as hard as you think.

zilog6128

it was my first one tonight(Kiss 8pm)entered as D, but found myself with mostly C riders what’s the score with the results ?

check Zwiftpower.com for results. You’ll probably have to click on “live” in the top right to see the provisional results as they won’t be finalised yet

cheers_drive

I’ll reckon b although the engagement in Zwift should cancel that out to some degree. My HR step wouldn’t pair tonight so I don’t know the exact but it felt sub 150bpm

Jason
    Free Member

If your w/kg (based on 95% of your best 20mins in the race) is over 2.5w/kg you will be taken out of the results. I can’t remember if KISS will put you in the C category results or not. A lot of the backmarkers in the C category will be borderline C/D so may be lower than 2.5 anyway.

I quite enjoyed racing on the mountain for a change. Managed to keep a steady pace up on the climb, then went for the TT bike switch at the top, caught and passed someone on the descent, managed to catch a second, but I couldn’t keep up with him on the flat. There was a group of 5 about 20secs ahead of me at the end, but I just couldn’t catch them. I think there will be a few people moved out of the category after that one.

fisha
    Free Member

That wahoo sensor looks the double of the bontrager one i have which is typically less than £50 online.

cheers_drive

I noticed most riders had KISS (C) after their name but I didn’t, am I supposed to change my name for each race?

Jason
    Free Member

I don’t think it is enforced in that race, everyone was in the same category. It is only needed when everyone is mixed up, or in the days before the event module. I always change mine out of habit. Just make sure you Strava file has KISS (C ) in the title.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

just looked on Zwiftpower in 209 place i’ll try cat C next time

Pierre

I’ve lurked on this thread for a week now. Made the jump and bought a T2240 (with BC discount down to £170, natch!) today and tried it out with my wife’s MacBook, a 3m USB extension lead and a £10 Amazon ANT+ dongle this evening.

Brilliant!!

I downloaded the Mobile Link app but couldn’t work out how to use it to turn left or right at junctions, so ended up on Watopia heading left past the crashed aircraft and… up a mountain. I’m one of those weirdos who quite likes climbing, so despite the little screen and the lack of riders around me, I just carried on getting stuck in and powering it out, changing down a couple of gears and standing up when the mood took me and sitting down, changing back and spinning when that got tiring (much like I do on a real mountain, really).

But the result was amazing – there is no way I’d ever have been bothered to keep going for that long at that intensity in any other turbo session! I even found myself pushing harder than I’d planned to for the last km just because Zwift started showing me possible places on the live leaderboard for that climb!

Thank you for inspiring me to take the plunge. I think the Tacx reads a little high on the power output, I’m going to fit the Stages to the bike tomorrow and use the readings from that, but that was easily the best turbo session I’ve ever done and I’m actually looking forward to the chance to do more.

One newbie question that I may have missed the answer to in the 15-ish pages of the thread that I’ve skipped: what’s the deal with cadence? Even though Zwift detected my Garmin crank cadence sensor, the cadence shown in the game and the on-screen cadence of my little guy was at times completely different from my own physical cadence.

nathb
    Free Member

@leeroybrown I think KISS will automatically upgrade you to C as at 3.0w/kg your right at the top of C.

@pierre welcome to zwift 🙂 You may need to download the Tacx ultility app to update the trainer and to calibrate how tight you have the rear wheel, if not done already. The difference in cadence is due to the limitations of the turbo trainers – they can only do a certain % incline, after that it’s adjusted on screen. You can adjust this slightly by moving the realism setting from the default 50% to 100% in the options, expect to down change a lot.

I can’t believe how dead I am after that, without a bloody screen it was just a long hilly TT on a non TT bike 🙁

What are folk doing this evening? I’m thinking the 10 mile KISS TT at 8pm

weeksy

Drinking beer and go-karting.

dc2.0

@Pierre – please report back when you’ve compared the power from Stages to the power from Tacx Flow (T2240). I’ve got the same trainer but no power meter and I too suspect it may be a bit high. The specs say this base model only has “<10% accuracy” tolerance so individual units could differ quite a lot.

Don’t forget though that the drive train typically accounts for ~5W of loss, so power at the crank *should* be a little higher than the power at the rear wheel.

The cadence on-screen SHOULD match the cadence on the trainer – BUT I think you need to use the Cadence from the Tacx (which broadcasts speed, cadence and power on both ANT+ and Bluetooth channels). What I’ve noticed is that the Tacx Cadence readings from my unit is only accurate above ~50rpm, below that it’s all over the place (probably sampling rate).

nathb
    Free Member

Hopefully the other way round? 😆

By the way weeksy, do you use myfitnesspal? It was great for me when losing weight, as I made sure it was controlled. Well until I was really ill and it was out my hands lol.

Pierre

Interesting, thanks all – I’ll report back tonight. I have a hunch that the battery died in my cadence sensor fairly early on in the session and Zwift started using whatever algorithm they use when people don’t have cadence sensors but do have power to animate the little guy on the screen. Doing 90rpm seated on the bike and seeing my guy standing up and groaning out about 50rpm was a little weird!

@dc2.0 I suspect that the Tacx is giving higher readings than my actual power output, so I’d expect the Stages to be a bit lower… we’ll see tonight – I’ll also try @nathb’s suggestion, I hadn’t thought of that.

…and another newbie question, sorry – why _wouldn’t_ you play with 100% realism? I did wonder why I didn’t need to change gear as much.

freeagent
    Free Member

so, I’ve got an ‘analog’ turbo trainer (Tacx basic model which is 2/3 years old.
    It has no ‘connectivity’ functions.

Can I use it with Zwift if I buy one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-Cadence-Sensor-Android-Computers/dp/B00NW882KM

Sorry for the dumb question but I know nothing about this, but want something to make using the turbo more interesting, and accurately recording my results.

Jason
    Free Member

Pierre, I generally set the realism on my Neo to 50%. The bike I have set up on it has a 1×9 drive train. At 100% I would grind to a halt on the steep climbs, and spin out on the descents.

Freeagent, as long as Zwift supports your turbo then yes the gadget you link to will let you get on Zwift. There is link of supported trainers on the Zwift home page. You need to be using a normal 700cc wheel for it to work properly on Zwift.

Pierre

@freeagent Yes – that should work fine if you’ve got Bluetooth on your computer. It’s the same one lots of other people are using.

cheers_drive

Final results from yesterday 8pm race are up. All I can say is I didn’t come last and there is plenty of room for improvement 😉
    A flatter course next time hopefully.

nathb
    Free Member

The results are up: http://www.zwiftpower.com/v2/race.php?id=1970

25th @ 4.69w/kg!?!

By looking at the numbers and strava fly by I’ve learnt a lot, I need to race a LOT smarter. There was a few times in the first 5 or so miles that I was leading, I should have kept mid pack and saved energy by drafting. After 6-7 miles I backed off a bit too much and got stuck in a much smaller group than the main group leading, who started to increase the gap further and further. I have no idea what happened after the 9 mile marker (discovered that team viewer crashed on my PC). 😥

Come on Zwift, release the iOS app already! 🙄

cheers_drive

Your w/kg are more than double mine nathb!
    I’m using a dumb trainer so don’t know how accurate it is having never used a power meter. I doubt mine is that low though.
    I flew out of the blocks in CAT D and was 5th until the climbing started, ended up 21st. My profile was 1kg to heavy as I lost weight since I joined 2 weeks ago, not sure how much difference that would make.

nathb
    Free Member

@cheers_drive yeah 1kg would definitely help, particularly uphill! If you link your profile to strava it gives you more power stats etc.

I’ve just looked at Cat D, shouldn’t most them be in C? Most are above 2.5wkg+ threshold. 😐

fisha
    Free Member

I didn’t think that just 1kg would make much of a difference, I’ll need to check my settings then.

Really enjoying it now. There is no way I would have previously spent the best part of 2 hours on a turbo trainer. Even tried a sprint section this morning. 3rd on the list… happy with that! Althought zwift seems to top out its power at 1200W for me on my cycleops fluid 2. Couldn’t get it above that level ( couldn’t maintain it either! 🙂 )

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah, even the Feather Weight boost only reduces riders weight by 8lbs/3.64kg.

dogthomson

Bah, inspired by this thread I tried to download Zwift onto my ageing Dell laptop last night and it seems it can’t cope with the graphics.

Anyone seen any HD4000 equipped bargains knocking about?

fisha
    Free Member

How much to you want to spend ?

mlpinto
    Free Member

Apologies if this question is already covered in this thread, but I’ve not had time to read it all as yet.

Inspired by what I have read so far, I have ordered a Tacx Flow T2240 and while I am waiting for it to turn up I just wanted to check that I can use it with just a bluetooth connection either via my phone or with my laptop if it supports bluetooth v4.0?

Assuming I am correct here, is there any functionality that I will be missing vs using an ANT dongle?

Thanks

nathb
    Free Member

@mlpinto use the mobile link app on your phone and it’ll be fine as long as your heart rate sensor and any other sensors you want to use are also Bluetooth.

MSP

Has anyone mixed and matched bluetooth and ant+ devices at the same time?

wilburt
    Free Member

These could be of interest- Zwift Routes in Veloviewer.

ROUTES

Watopia PDF

WAT PDF

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.