• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • weeksy

I can’t imagine for a second for example how i could double my hourly output for the year.. it’s just incomprehensible to me. I’d be exhausted for a start !

piemonster

How much of that increase is steady effort and not eyeballs out racing?

weeksy

piemonster – Member
    How much of that increase is steady effort and not eyeballs out racing?

From my own perspective and assuming i had the time/dedication, it would have to be a LOT of it being non-racing to get to that sort of figure.

But for me to do that i’d have to do a lot of outdoor stuff, i certainly couldn’t do the majority of it on Zwift for example.

weeksy

Bloody hell… after a couple of days wait the ZHR tea race made it onto Zwiftrankings and i got +20 !

I’m pretty sure that’s my highest points in a race. That puts me from an all-time low of 883 about 4 weeks back after a DNF race, to an almost respectable 918.

Even weirder is that it’s now showing me as 5th as all the others over the limit have been bumped..
    Which is strange as they were showing as “result has been configured to allow it to stand” before.

http://www.zwiftrankings.com/vcr/client/result/14725/40591/2017r11/all/7/1/0/0/1/1

I feel a little better with the world now ….

tomlevell

Local pro who races Conti level is on 720 hours for the year.

I assume Friel is referring to US rankings and don’t they go to CAT 5. So CAT 4 is our CAT 3 and the US CAT 3 is likely to be upper end of CAT 2 here.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well ish. I think they upgrade automatically after 10 Cat 5 races nowadays so I reckon the level is pretty comparable after that. It’s also Road racing in general isn’t it so for <1hr Crits, you probably don’t need quite as many hours.

Yep, the difference will largely be made up of Z2 no doubt but still, it’s an endurance sport after all.

blader1611
    Free Member

Well another 2 laps of London loop done on MGCC ride so should be a little closer to completing Everest challenge (74% complete). It was a good race as i talk to a member of the club so he lets me know who to look out for. I was actually the first person to the top of box hill on lap 1 (7:27) with 2 others in tow. We decided for the next lap to keep the pace high to see if we could hold off the A group but i think we tired a little as next box hill segment was slower by a fair bit (7:55). We then got caught by the A group in the subway section and tried to stick with them for the last mile but it was too quick for me so dropped off by a few secs. I ended up with BRONZE in B group and 5th overall in the race due to lack of A riders.

I am hoping to complete everest challenge this year but its looking unlikely now but i should hit level 25 next week i think.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nice work!

blader1611
    Free Member

Actually i am 76% complete on Everest so i reckon another 20 times up the mountain should do it!

What level gets you the heads up display?

jam-bo

That’s just someone doing a workout isn’t it?

You know you don’t get the tron bike at 8851m, you have to do 50,000 to get that

fifeandy
    Free Member

you have to do 50,000 to get that

7k per day over xmas/new year holiday then back to work for a rest 🙂

piemonster

You know you don’t get the tron bike at 8851m, you have to do 50,000 to get that

Do you have to be on the Everest challenge for the ascent to count?

Asking for a friend

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep!!

piemonster

Damn you California

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Zwift newbie looking for some racing advice. I’ve just signed up and done a couple of rides just to get the lay of the land. I’d like to do an FTP test soon when rested enough but from my first two rides I estimate/hope my FTP will be around 2.6 W/kg, so just on the cusp of group C. Should I enter a race in group C and just drop back if too much or should I enter as group D and just let things take their course?

Also, I’ve watched a few races on YouTube but usually that’s group A/B riders and was wondering how you can tell your position further back in relation to group C/D riders? Not everyone seems to edit their rider name to include the group.

blader1611
    Free Member

Forza – when you are in a race the group rider list on your right shows you who is around you and they will have a coloured disc on their info which shows what cat they are. At the top of this list you will see a white box which should indicate your position i.e 7th out of 24 which indicates your position in just your category, sometimes though this doesnt work so dont rely on it. Some riders forget/dont change there names which doesnt affect results but its kind of etiquette to do it so others are aware you are in the race.

fifeandy
    Free Member

its kind of etiquette to do it so others are aware you are in the race.

Pretty sad that zwift aren’t creating new instances for races anyway. Suggests they’ve gone wrong somewhere with their server architecture/scaling. Still surprises me that people are willing to pay a monthly sub for something that imo is still a long way from a finished product (when compared to other games)

Edit: I should add that i’m also baffled by the growing trend of gamers paying full price to play games that are still basically alpha test candidates with full release dates 12+ months into the future.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21rVBfq]2nd[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

got home at 16:01 and made the 1 lap wbr with 24s to start, went crazy! pinned it everywhere and realised me and 1 guy had the win here!

As we know, its more 1.5 laps and i held wit 2 As and a B, along with our C guy. Held on up the hill and clawed back 11m gap they pulled.

To the line the other C pinned it at 10+ i left him to it and cruised for 2nd in the last 200m.

Destroyed!

weeksy

https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=14831

May even be a win…. i’m lucky that short hard like that is about spot on with a group for me to be right on the cat limit with some good drafting.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Thanks for the info blader. I hadn’t noticed the group discs in the rider list.

eemy
    Free Member

I was in that race Weeksy

scaled
    Free Member

Good result there Weeksy!

weeksy

eemy – Member
    I was in that race Weeksy

Oooh so you were! Sorry I missed you,as I said, only joined with 20s to start and it was full on. Never saw you !

Edit, 1 min 3 behind you, got to be pleased with that.

eemy
    Free Member

The 1-lappers are usually quite good fun. Hard work though.

nathb
    Free Member

WBR flat race at 7:35pm, really enjoyed the course last time.

Although there’s a huge amount of pressure on me to finish 1st since I’m currrently the only one in my cat lol

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy – good going and big numbers too, i shall open the trophy cabinet for you.

If i get chance i will try a single lapper tomorrow morning but saving my self for my first ride on the road to ruin in the EVR race, never been to the new place and heard its a bit of a brute.

muggomagic

A question about the workouts
    I’m doing the 4 week FTP booster and each week has 7 workouts. I’m not going to be able to get on everyday so do I carry over the workouts to the next week and treat it more as an 6-8 week course or skip those days? I assume it’s stretch the course to include all the workouts but in reality I have no idea.

muggomagic

Great result Weeksy.

weeksy

12 points on the rankings.

However we’re out celebrating tonight so I’ve eaten a small animal or 3 and a slab of cheesecake!

scaled
    Free Member

Meh, swift had a fit on my laptop so despite dashing out to the garage with 5 mins to spare it crashed and wouldn’t restart.

In for the KISS race at 8, at least I’ve had a warm up. Entered in the As though so this will hurt.

zilog6128

Pretty sad that zwift aren’t creating new instances for races anyway

disagree IMO; it’s one of he things that makes it great. You can just be on for a pootle and then all of a sudden a race comes thundering through! Makes the island feel more like a real place with a lot of different stuff going on.

Still surprises me that people are willing to pay a monthly sub for something that imo is still a long way from a finished product (when compared to other games)

go on then, what should I be spending my money on that does the same thing yet is way more polished?!

crosshair
    Free Member

Muggo- I did read a good description from the creator of that workout and the impression I got is that it’s more of a one off hit than a sustainable boost.
    I’m pretty sure it seemed like Zwift commissioned it as a headline grabbing wonder tool for fast results and ‘Wow! Thanks Zwift!’ type Kudos. He pretty much admits that you should jump into a race soon after before your results fade.

So I’d definitely err on the side of caution and add in enough R+R days to make your legs snappy for the harder workouts.

I think there’s a reason that most Base phases and indeed Zwifts original FTP builder are 12 weeks.

crosshair
    Free Member

@Fifeandy- Zwift racing is still in its infancy from their end. It really isn’t many months ago that races were groups of guys meeting at the Start line before somebody shouted ‘GOGOGO!’ and Zwift publicly declared the had zero interest in racing.

Eric Minn actually just announced in this months Zwiftcast that once the numbers are right this winter, Event and Race organisers will get the full suite of courses open to them.
    Yay! More Richmond races 8)

fifeandy
    Free Member

@zilog, there simply isn’t a polished product yet. I can see they need a revenue stream to develop further as they would never attract a multi-million $ development budget up front like a big console title would.

But it just seems so far from finished to me. Fair enough the pvp/racing side may not have been the initial focus or idea behind the product, but if not, it has to stand on the strength of its open world, which in my opinion is missing several full size climbs and about 1000km worth of riding environment.

I guess its kinda like the garmin thread. We all give garmin money for mediocre devices with garbage firmware/software because there’s no alternative.

jk501
    Free Member

Great result Weeksy!

I am looking at doing a one lapper tonight. Should be fun in a “going to flog myself to death” sort of way.

Event and Race organisers will get the full suite of courses open to them.
    Yay! More Richmond races

I have raced Richmond twice and nearly thrown up both times – oh joy 😀 😕

weeksy

@zilog, there simply isn’t a polished product yet. I can see they need a revenue stream to develop further as they would never attract a multi-million $ development budget up front like a big console title would.

But it just seems so far from finished to me. Fair enough the pvp/racing side may not have been the initial focus or idea behind the product, but if not, it has to stand on the strength of its open world, which in my opinion is missing several full size climbs and about 1000km worth of riding environment.

I guess its kinda like the garmin thread. We all give garmin money for mediocre devices with garbage firmware/software because there’s no alternative.

It’s £8 a month. That’s all. For what we pay, it’s an absolute bargain.

The mountain and Pretzel are proper long climbing, it’s a good 2 hours+ even for faster guys.

You could even just loop the pretzel if you’re that into climbs.

crosshair
    Free Member

Zwift are going to build a long climb just to satisfy the wierdos that want a long climb and won’t shut up about it 😆

As you go slower, the graphics are less impressive and there’s no sensation of movement. I just don’t get it? If you want to simulate an hour climb, just ride at Threshold in a big gear at 65rpm for an hour??

Zwift also want a rich detailed environment and that takes time. 1000km of bland desert would be pointless?

The fact it takes my Turbo time and makes a good stab at converting it into a representative ride on a Strava is probably worth the money alone. That it does so in a fun, interactive and competitive way is a bonus and when you’re not grinding up a stupid climb, it does trick you into thinking you are moving 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Nice result there weeksy!!

Think I chose the only non zwiftpower race available this evening, wasn’t up for the KISS race and missed all the decent ones before (damn work). 16km TT / FTP test lol

scaled
    Free Member

I did the KISS race in the end but the results didn’t pop up at the end so no idea how I did, which is annoying, especially as we caught a bunch of Cs just as we crossed the line.

Entered as a B in the end and averaged 3.97W/KG, not sure if that was for the race or if that included my cooldown as well. I’m still a bit confused as to the shape of some of the B racers, they were all going as fast as me for less W/KG, results seem to be taking ages to get up on to zwiftpower. Proper tough race though, wasn’t till the last 2 laps that I started enjoying it.

weeksy

Scaled, if you look at my earlier race you’ll see how much below the guys round me I finished,
    I was at 3.2w/kg, the other fellas were 4.3!
    Of course this tells us they’re likely lighter than me but it shows you don’t need to put the big numbers up necessarily.

I spent less than 30s of the ride on the front and that was only because my rider was hanging to one side on his lane.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.