• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Scaled- you’re showing as DQ I believe because you are an A as I predicted 😉

Your category is your ftp/kg so 95% of your absolute best case scenario, collapse at the end 20minute effort. Then, enforcement is 95% of your best 20mins in the race so they are already being generous.

W/kg is irrelevant for comparing your race result to those around you- I’m generally 0.5-1.0 w/kg lower than those around me cus I’m a relative fatty. Luckily in the flat races it’s Watts that do the damage 🙂

Anyway, congrats on being an A 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Exactly CH, just look at the disparity on my screen shot above. Flat course TT bikes, no PUs = no hiding. W/kg in isolation I should have finished 2/3 minutes ahead by my calculations 😆

Welcome to A scaled 8)

crosshair
    Free Member

(Glenn Knight runs KISS and Zwiftpower so he got Zwift to turn the results screen off for his races to force you to click on ZP )

crosshair
    Free Member

With a good aero position, I think the 360w guy should have nailed you Nath 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

I think there were a few riders from this parish in that race with Scaled.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@weeksy.
    I disagree with both points. I see £8/m as terrible value, its a similar cost to an MMO subscription that would give you 20x the content and much better graphics.

And the mountain really isn’t a mountain at all, 500m vertical is 30mins tops for any half decent climber (assuming VAM works in zwift as it does irl)
    1000m vertical is a proper mountain. 1500m vertical with alternative ways off every 250m vertical would be ideal.

Like i say, captive audience as cycling is niche compared to the wider gaming audience and we don’t have other cycling based games to choose from.

@crosshair
    Some of us do have a sensation of movement when climbing 😉
    And its the only time we get to see anything as the rest of the time the view is blocked by the behemoth in front thats currently acting as a wind break!

nathb
    Free Member

Unless my math is well off (363/3.8) he’s circa 95kg CH!

I think I’d be safe?!

Gyms are £50/month around here so happy with £8 a month – certainly get more use out of it than I would the gym…

BadlyWiredDog

go on then, what should I be spending my money on that does the same thing yet is way more polished?!

You want Death Zone, a hyper-realistic, dystopian cycle commuting virtual world where riders dice wth bad-tempered commuters on poorly maintained roads in foul weather. Power-ups include momentary enhanced visibility, traffic light head-start bonus and the rare ‘9-Life Cat’ which means you can survive encounters with articulated lorries and drunk drivers. Like real life only repeatable. And the killer goats. Oh yeah… Best of all, bespoke simulator hardware means you feel every impact smack bang in your pain cave… 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

He might be tall and lean 😆

That’s the thing though isn’t it, without knowing a real CdA, it’s actually a pretty poor guess?

Anyway- another great result to the trophh room Nath 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Like i say, captive audience as cycling is niche compared to the wider gaming audience and we don’t have other cycling based games to choose from.

You’re comparing apples with pears though. If the audience for a virtual cycling game was as large as for general nerd fodder, there’d be more dosh to spend on the platform. It’s a bit like slagging off a small wine merchant for not having the same level of choice as a massive hypermarket.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

RGT has full scale climbs, I’ve done Formentor and Ventoux and to be honest I wouldn’t be in a hurry to do them again, despite liking climbing in real life.

Long grinding climbs just don’t work that well on a turbo imo, you need interaction to get anything out of it and given the lack of Zwift racing on the climbs they do have, racing on RGT is going to be a lonely experience unless they reduce the climbing. The graphics don’t make that much difference despite RGT being more photorealistic than Zwifts cartoony feel.

weeksy

Like i say, captive audience as cycling is niche compared to the wider gaming audience and we don’t have other cycling based games to choose from

Cycling based game LOL… You’re on the wind up fella.

weeksy

SLightly interesting one from yesterdays race regarding the drafting effects currently.

I last did the 1 lapper in mid-June and won, i completed it in 17:10. Yesterday, completed it in 16:03.

Wasn’t a massive group of us, but they were powerful/fast lads for sure. I also put out 330w for 20 mins power in June and only 311w yesterday for the 20 mins power.

Not sure how much it tells us other than “Get out fast and get in a quick group…” but it does show that even with less power, if you get the right group of riders with you, you can go quicker.

jk501
    Free Member

Did a WBR 1 lapper and it was brutal. Small field and I was 4th in B out of 5. I’d have got second in C (ended up being 3.12w/kg)! The A’s got DQ’d.

Started in a group and dropped after 4 k. Then rode with one other for the rest of the ride. I was struggling to hang on and was shattered by the finish. I absolutely went for it at the finish and was sure I had pipped the other rider on the line but Zwift claimed otherwise.

On the bright side I did a PB for the Watopia Flat lap by over half a minute.

Has anyone has issues with getting power ups? I did a warm up hoping to get one and got nothing. That is the fourth time out of five over the last three rides I have done where it has happened. The power ups come up but it stops on the blank option each time.

The other funny thing was the ride was advertised as London but when I logged on it was Watopia.

jk501
    Free Member

Weeksy, I did the one lapper race 2 weeks ago and did 17:20. I was in a reasonable group for most of that. Today I did 16:08 and was only in a group for the first 4k.

Edit: Just realised the race two weeks ago was London.

weeksy

PUs are like fruit machines, that’s just the breaks were thrown, sometimes you get one, sometimes you don’t…

I always find that when i REALLY want a particular PU as i’m dying, i either get nothing, or a sodding useless one !

Luckily though yesterday i got a feather, just when i really needed a feather actually 🙂

scaredypants

I’m a magnet for “+10 pts”

jk501
    Free Member

What’s +10 points? I don’t think I’ve had that.

scaredypants

Jk I think your “blank” is probably +10, unless you’re in a race that’s configured not to give PUs (is that a thing?)

You end up with no pu but gain 10 points towards your next level

weeksy

that’s rubbish lol. I’m on 25… the last thing i need when i’m dying is 10 more virtual points !

jk501
    Free Member

Ah ok I hadn’t noticed I’d got 10 points for those.

What I really need is the red cross symbol ones. Usually I’m knackered when I get a power up in a race and I assume that PU gets a nurse to come around and make you feel better? 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

So Weeksy gets the hump at Zwift being called a game and then spends several posts chatting about power ups and virtual points 😆

Eric Minn hinted that they are working on more equipment options and better ways of ‘spending’ your XP points so those of us on level >25 may get some reward!

I think Zwift should explore the gamification options a bit more. The Big Wheeler bikes were pretty funny. Some of their team used to work on Road Rash after all 😆

Weeksy, all the posts from the serious racers about the draft getting silly relate to changes made in August, so it’s quite possible that explains the difference in lap times?

weeksy

So Weeksy gets the hump at Zwift being called a game

I thought you knew me better than that… I’m far from getting the hump. But it’s SO not a ‘game’. A game implies to me that it’s all just fun and not really training/working/pushing…. Whereas we know that even with the gaming aspects of things, it’s still proper hard graft.
    But, i’m a long way from getting worked up about it.

I think laptimes often just comes down to luck. I latched on yesterday with 3 guys who barely dropped below 4. But i was happily sitting at 220w at times and cruising in their wake 🙂 The guy behind us was putting out way more watts than me… but couldn’t close, he got to within 14s at one stage but then died a faded.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well you don’t train on there 😆 You can’t bare to look at it if you’re not battling a bunch of Avatars for position in a virtual race with virtual power ups 🙂
    Think of the stick you gave me when I first started!

But yes, I know you’re not literally cross about it 🙂

Nathan Guerrea is probably the loudest voice for more gamification- the Zwift team seem to be going more down the structured training / live spin class route.

One interesting comment from Eric Minn in the podcast was that (despite CVR’s best efforts and the eCrit series from Zwift themselves) he doesn’t see Zwift as Esports yet “because there’s no skill in it!” 😮

weeksy

Think of the stick you gave me when I first started!

I do at times… I was the great cynic of Zwifting, both as a training activity and as something to pass time on… I think we can safely say i’ve converted my opinion as to it’s benefits etc. I’m sometimes shocked at myself… but the results are simple to see.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Entered the wrong effing race this morning!! Joined the 09:10 WBR 1 Flat Lap in the C group not realising that it was one lap for the As and Bs and 2 laps for the Cs and Ds.

My plan was to go off fast at the start and try and stay with the A/B group for as long as I could hold the wheel which I managed but went a little too much into the red zone really. Dropped off them after a few minutes and linked up with a group of mainly Ds with a couple of other Cs.

Having gone too hard at the start I was finding it hard to recover and when the hill came up at about 5 miles I was cooked so dropped off the group and cruised to (what I thought) was the finish. It was only just before the finishing line that I realised something was wrong and I had another lap to go. I pedalled on for a while but couldn’t face another lap so pulled out.

I earned 30 XP points though and learned a lot in my first race so will make sure I get in the right race next time and modify my tactics maybe.

weeksy

Are you sure Forza ?

The WBR flat has a long ‘intro’ section which crosses the line, so it almost feels like lap 1 was done…. But it’s not lap 1…. it’s just the ‘warm-up’ / intro section, before the actual lap.

If you pay attention to the distance it will show you on the bar going accross as to the distance to go set, plus it will say the lap etc… You’re not the first person to be caught out by this though that’s for sure. 🙂

forzafkawi
    Free Member

No, it was lap 1 weeksy. I had covered 6.3 miles at that point and had been riding for almost 17 minutes. The lap counter went from 1 to 2 as well which is what made me realise that it was a 2 lap race but was still a bit confused at that point.

It was only when I looked at the ride description again that I realised it was 1 lap for the As & Bs and 2 laps for the Cs & Ds.

weeksy

That seems properly weird…

I’ve seen races that are longer for A/B and shorter for C/D, but never the other way round before.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Yeah, logically it doesn’t make sense to me but is was still an interesting experience. Looking at the race result on Zwift Power I think I would have finished mid-C which is what I would have estimated based on my current power output so happy with that. I’ll probably look for another race Friday.

tmb467
    Free Member

so without having to re-read all 190 pages of this, is there a straight-forward way to join the STW racing group? Do i even need to?

As a Zwift newbie, I’ve done my FTP test…not got a HRM yet (and still on bluetooth, not ANT). I’ll do another pootle round watopia – but wouldnt mind getting into a race at some point.

any tips / advice here?

cheers

jam-bo

add STW to your profile on zwiftpower. put STW in your name on Zwift. thats it. pretty low bar to entry… 😉

you should start showing up here:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=756

blader1611
    Free Member

Not sure what was going on today but i did the EVR race on the road to ruin which was advertised as 1 lap but as we got further in the race the distance to go was going UP! It was ridiculous as nobody seem to know where the finish was so we stopped after 1 lap even though it only just started the countdown for 1 lap of 1. It was a farce and even now there are no results. Zwift has had a lot of niggling bugs of late which havent really been addressed, the group rider list showing where you are in your cat still doesnt seem to work.

weeksy

Jam Bo…. i’ve never ever ever seen that page 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Building up a trophy collection there weeksy!!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?id=2631412

weeksy

nathb – Member
    Building up a trophy collection there weeksy!!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?id=2631412

I went through a phase where i was getting them all the time, but then i screwed it up by over-racing, training wrong, lol.
    I think i’m now semi-competitive again in a flatish C race…. but can depend a lot on circumstances and who turns up on a given day.

However… they’re still C…. not A like you fast boys. I’m still only winning the wooden spoon race….

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers Jam Bo

piemonster

disagree with both points. I see £8/m as terrible value

Aye, but your from Fife!

fifeandy
    Free Member

So Weeksy gets the hump at Zwift being called a game and then spends several posts chatting about power ups and virtual points

Nah, grinding 50000m elevation for the ultra realistic Tron bike is not game like at all – pure training aid 😆

Aye, but your from Fife!

Harsh!

piemonster

Sorry couldn’t resist 🙂

*Posted from Burntisland

Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.