• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,521 through 5,560 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • piemonster

Firstly, I rage quit on a SZR SUB2.5 group ride.

Bit late, but *waves* as I was in the that group ride.

Is the calibration issues you’ve been having specific to wheel on? Is direct drive a much simpler affair? I’ve nothing to compare only having used direct drive. Pretty sure I just paired stuff and started pedalling.

Quite enjoyed this evening, I don’t think the ride leader turned up so ended up hooking into a group and working with them until the end. I’ve now got more Zwift miles in the last 4 days than I’ve had outdoors in the last two months. So this really rather expensive gamble does look like it’ll pay off.

andeh

I think it must be a wheel on issue, the pressure of the roller against to tyre. I had it waaaaaay too tight, must have been introducing pretty significant mechanical friction. Oops.

Well hopefully now I know I won’t get dropped in the fist 20s, I might get back to some racing.

weeksy

Oh my word ! Was that a battle in C

Big group….. 1 lap in with 15 of us, including 2 STWers, and we’re flying along, 3-4 riders split and we spent 1/2 a lap closing them, i was happy that i managed to do a decent bridging of the gap to close them, then with 2km to go, 3 split again and up the last little kick we started fracturing, i’d used my Aero earlier to close the gap on the 3, so i was running purely on my legs and the draft. But was going OK… .we caught them on the run down to the line and it was Sagan central, all trying to sprint, funnily though i think we were all dying as no one was out of the saddle. It was a 12 man sprint sort of… I think i finished nearer 12th than 1st in the the sprint, and i think an STWer beat me in a photo finish as i died and eased with 50m.

Damn fun and hard efforts though !

harrytoo
    Free Member

Sorry Weeksy, I was all ready to give you a lead out in the final sprint but my daughter turned up at the door of the man cave in tears saying she was about to be sick…..

These are words you do not want to hear from a seven year old when you’re in charge for the evening!

Dropped into the Academy C/D race but didn’t have the legs to get into the lead group so finished mid pack.

weeksy

Awww man, that’s a shame. Hugs

blitz

Did the Academy race tonight. Not done it before and 8:30 works better as I’m always rushing for the 8pm races after sorting the kids! Didn’t expect to do well having not ridden much lately and put on a few lb! Started in D, got a flier start and then settled in. Caught a few groups and had a decent race. Ended up 2.8 w/kg so did much better than expected. Felt good. Was nice to be in a bigger field again. Also first race since the upgrade. That little map with the dots is great!

scaredypants

Did a time trial earlier – for me they’re a better way of finding out approximately what my threshold is. Lot less boring than a FTP session

Good news is that FTP rocketed up by I think 1watt 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

Sounds like it was a good evenings racing had by all and the bigger fields do seem to certainly help.

Scaredypants, it might be only 1 watt but i bet you had to work bloody hard to gain it.

muggomagic

Good work all. I wanted to get on last night, but my eldest missed her bus which meant Dad taxis was despatched. Probably just as well as my legs were still quite sore from Saturday morning’s zwift race and a pretty tough ride in the woods on Sunday.
    I think it’s likely I’ll be out on the mtb this afternoon after work rather than zwift as the weather looks decent.

That race you did was 100km, but you’ve all finished in around 40mins?!
    Is the distance wrong or are you only timed for the last 20km or something?

weeksy

Distance was incorrect there… Was 28km or so i think.

I couldn’t have done that much more at that speed, let alone another 70km LOL.

Must admit i am wondering how much the 29er is affecting my speed now, i THINK i’m getting pretty close to my best, but i don’t enjoy the Isaac road bike to ride, despite it feeling (and if i recall correctly, actually BEING, a fair bit quicker) quicker and ewasier to pedal, it also gave me some knee issues which may have been pedal related, may have been bike related. But i’m sticking with the 29er on the turbo instead of the Isaac.

I may even have to ask my old neighbour what to do with the Isaac as he left it with me when he moved to Canada few months back as a gift, but i just can’t see me using it at all.

nathb
    Free Member

You could always set the seat/bars etc to the 29ers dimensions and see if you get on better with it?

I bet your cadence is changing between the two as you’re more likely to be grinding on the road bike?

weeksy

It seems on the road bike i can power harder and a little bit lower in cadence yeah, but that could be slightly clouded by my fitness which hasn’t been back to my best after holiday. But when i was regularly swapping between the 2 bikes, the Isaac seemed to regularly end up 10w higher for a Zwift race. To be honest i don’t mind only having the 29er, it’s my go-to bike for 90% of my riding anyway, so makes just as much sense to use it.
    The thoughts of ever going racing again seems to me like a long distant dream, especially seeing CHs efforts and time lately, so there’s no real reason to ride/train on the Roadie.

muggomagic

I had a 29er on the turbo until I found a cheapo 2nd boardman road bike on the local classifieds ads. The 29er was a lot more comfortable but the biggest ring I could get for it was a 48t, where the road bike has a 52 or 53. I can certainly crank along better now and go faster on the sprints, but it is quite uncomfortable. I think more of my (considerable) weight is over the front so my arms are taking the strain, and my hands start going numb after around 20mins. I angled the bars up a bit and that has helped a bit but still get it just takes around 10 mins longer to kick in.
    I guess the extra speed is worth it 🙂

weeksy

In a gearing context i just find myself lower down the cassette, i’m in 9th/10th all the time on the 29er, whereas on the Roadie i was 3-4 gear in on the big ring instead.
    As long as i’ve got gears that suit my cadence, i’m not worried in that context.

My tyre on the 29er is only rated to 80psi so i run it about 75 or so, which could also be a minor factor i guess.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m not blaming the 29er for my performances, most of them lately have been in my head rather than the bike.

Although i did pull back 14 points on Zwiftrankings for yesterdays ride.

weeksy

In the interests of cheap testing, i’ve just ordered one of these.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/kenda-k193-kwest-bike-tyre-700x35c

Less treaded than my current one. Which is this (or very similar)
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/rubena-landmark-city-tour-trek-tyre-700-x-38c-40-622-black

The Kenda does 100psi and seems almost a slick…. So… why not, lets see what happens.

muggomagic

I’m more of a cranker than a spinner. I used to find I ran out of gears with the 29er and I had absolutely no chance of keeping up on the descents. I tended to only shift up on the longer climbs.

Those tyres look like they might be a bit sketchy in Swinley 🙂
    I had a turbo trainer tyre on my bike as at the time it was only used for that.
    What about getting a cheap spare wheel and fitting a turbo tyre and swapping between the 2 wheels?

weeksy

That’s what i do mate, i’ll fit that Kenda as the turbo tyre. I’m not sure a 700×25 etc would actually seat on the rim correctly. Thoughts appreciated from all though… It’s just a generic DT Swiss 29er wheel. I could always try the Conti GP 4000 on there that’s currently on the Isaac though if people think it would seat on a MTB rim ?

b1gf00t
    Free Member

I tried the 17:05 WBR race again yesterday and managed to stay with the lead group until the end even taking part in the sprint. Finished 8th in the A’s with enough points to move me up to 154th in cat 1 on CVR. Off for a bike fit today and hopefully a few more watts.

Back on Zwift on Thursday morning.

blader1611
    Free Member

As you will be on the turbo weeksy even if it does fail you are unlikely to get hurt so you may as well try it, i certainly wouldnt advise going out in the real world as a test.
    Speaking of real world i might just get out in to it today and risk my life and wheels with a tour de bradford,well somebody has to. I am going to try and curb my competitive nature and treat this as a pootle round old stomping ground and pay no attention to my garmin.

weeksy

Speaking of real world i might just get out in to it today and risk my life and wheels with a tour de bradford

LOL i did 100km of trails at the weekend 😉 I’m doing the outdoor stuff for us lot too 🙂

muggomagic

I had a turbo tyre on a 19mm id disc rim pumped up to something like 90-100psi. Wasn’t too bad to get on the rim, no harder than a WTB tyre that it replaced. Had it on there for 700km with no problems.

crosshair
    Free Member

Hey! I did 37miles outdoors last week!!…..
    And 123 miles of intervals indoors 😆

Depends what you want out of racing Weeksy, you can learn the craft and probably mix it in an occasional sprint with a LOT less effort than I’m putting in.
    I’m only working this hard because I’d love a Cat 4 podium/win and then my Cat 3 license next year. My body isn’t shaped for breakaways so I need all the Powerz 😀

weeksy

Depends what you want out of racing Weeksy, you can learn the craft and probably mix it in an occasional sprint with a LOT less effort than I’m putting in.
    I’m only working this hard because I’d love a Cat 4 podium/win and then my Cat 3 license next year. My body isn’t shaped for breakaways so I need all the Powerz

I get that, but realistically, without increasing the training, decreasing the weight and increasing the power, i’m unlikely to get to even where you WERE, let alone where you are now.
    Life and time dictates that i can’t put in the weekends in the same way you were this year, it’s just not going to happen.
    Add into the mix that i don’t actually like or enjoy the road bike, means it’s all a bit of a pointless consideration for me.

I’ve got some goals and plans for next year, things will become a little easier in the Events context then, so i’ll just be using Zwift as a training/fun tool for now as i have done previously.

I think i’ll be attempting to kick the 5-2 and do a bit more regular healthy stuff, yesterday just sitting there feeling like i was going to pass out, was not good…. I felt tonnes better after some food 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

I’m out braving life and death in the mean streets of London racking up my outdoor mileage Monday – Friday for STW’ers. 😆

Anyone racing tonight? I’m not sure which to do..

weeksy

Nothing really jumping out at me or my legs tonight.

I’ll save myself for the 8pm tomorrow.

blader1611
    Free Member

Well outdoor ride completed and i stuck to my task of not racing, quite liberating really. The bike and I survived riding through Bradford but it was a pretty lumpy route with a cat 4 climb that was quite testing, it was only 30 miles at an avg of 15.2 mph so a nice recovery ride.
    I did notice a big difference between zwifting and real world ride (other than the obvious) was the shower afterwards. Zwifting requires a very cold shower, real ride requires a hot shower!

weeksy

cold shower ? WTF, it’s not the Dark Ages !

piemonster

Yorkshire, they don’t waste money on things like hot water if they can get away with it.

nathb
    Free Member

WBR 3 Laps of Hilly Route at 7:05pm.

Anyone joining?

muggomagic

Just done the 3pm 10km 1 lap race and after the usual promotions I’ve got a yet to be confirmed 1st place in Cat C (out of 3) 😀
    I was out in front and had built up a 15sec gap by about halfway but as we got to the hilly section they were beginning to close the gap. The group of about 4 caught me around 7km in and on that last little hill before the finish they dropped me. As they dropped me the lead guy used an aero PU and they pulled away. I tried bloody hard to catch back on again but even putting out 450w I was only holding the gap at about 4 seconds. I couldn’t sustain it any longer and pootled across the finish line trying very hard not to puke.
    Ended up with an average of 331w. That’s a lot more than I’ve managed in the other short races I’ve done. So pleased to see some progress.

blader1611
    Free Member

whats all this talk of hot water? Dont come on here if you are just going to show off with your fancy hot water,what next, soap! Gnaar,bloody kids of today, dont know how lucky they are.
    Seriously though,if you need a hot shower after zwifting then you either didnt try hard enough or you are in an igloo. It has to be cold to cool down the hot lava and magma that seems to be boiling inside my body.
    Ok quick poll of our main zwifters, hot or cold/cool shower after a zwift race?

nathb
    Free Member

I don’t need to shower afterwards, my industrial fan keeps me cool enough 😆

muggomagic

Not sure I qualify as a main swifter but I’m giving you my opinion anyway 😀

I try and wait to cool down before showering then it’s a luke warm one. If I don’t have time to cool down then it a cold one otherwise as soon as the water stopped running I’m sweating like a fat lab again.

blader1611
    Free Member

Muggomagic – that is a great result if that stands and pushing out 331w avg is pretty impressive,well done fella.
    I have never done a one lap race or short time trial so might give that a go.

blader1611
    Free Member

nathb only keeps cool due to the draught from his rear wheel when he drops one of his infamous watt bombs.

muggomagic

Cheers. All I need is some liposuction then I could be a contender 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Hot shower for me!

Nice one Muggo! Serious watts 🙂

My monastic dedication to the cause continues so no races for me I’m afraid.

nathb
    Free Member

Wow that hasn’t happened for a LONG time, apart from with Mr Cartwright, I’ve just had my a** handed to me!!!

Off for a shower now 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

You only lost by several seconds and the winner has form and a ftp of 349 so no shame in that.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,521 through 5,560 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.