Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ZTR Hubs ?
  • sworks120
    Free Member

Looking to buy some new wheels for my hardtail
    Fancy the Ztr hubs and No tubes Crest rims you can get from JRA
    Not sure how reliable or easy to maintain the hubs will be and wondering if anyone has used these if so whats your thoughts/problems ?

Other option is to used XTR hubs as they are light but i will need to buy splined rotors (extra cost)
    Or just go with Hope pro 2 hubs !
    Budget is around £400 inc new tyres
    Rider weight 75kg ish

njee20
    Free Member

Not heard owt bad about the ZTR hubs, reckon they'll be reet.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I'm interested in these as well. Are they cup and cone or cartridge bearing?

sworks120
    Free Member

They are catridge bearings

The only thing i dislike about the XTR hubs is adjusting and cleaning the bearing very now and again !

glenncampbell

To be fair XTR hubs have had some reliability issues too – I have some wheels built by JRA and they're great, they also advised me to go for the ZTR over the XTR for reliability. price is even better too!

vrapan
    Free Member

New wheels with ZTR hubs are going on the Anthem X hopefully by Friday will let everybody know 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

i have ztr hubs on crest rims with supercomp spokes.
    i've done 2 races on them and various other rides and they have been fine and stayed true, im about 80kg
    good pickup and the rear makes a nice buzzing sound as aposed to a more clattery sound of a hope 2. not silent like shimano hubs
    nothing that interesting to report about them really but happy to answer any questions and will report back if they explode

vrapan
    Free Member

Not enough time do you think I should also go for Supercomp? I have asked for Revolution ones from the guy that will build them. I am only 55kg though so maybe I will get away with lighter ones?

gee
    Free Member

They sound like the Halo superdrives – they also buzz. Then the freehub dies…

See what happens when they get wet/muddy etc…

GB

dobo
    Free Member

vrapan, if i was your weight i might consider rev spokes but at my weight no way.
    though my wheel build feels stiff and solid they do flex more when cornering hard compared to my 819 and comp spoke build

gee they sound the same as from when new and have only really had 1 ubber wet muddy ride on the south downs, mostly try to use other wheels like hope xc and crossmax as i know how to change bearings and have had years of abuse and still going

gee
    Free Member

The freehub just looked very similar on the pics I've seen of them. Perhaps out of the same factory? Do they make a real buzzing noise?

dobo
    Free Member

i've not heard halo superdrives but somebody told me they were louder than hope p2!! whether true or not i dont know.
    mine definitely are less harsh sounding than hope p2 though, i think they have more clicks than p2 and are quieter so i describe as buzz rather than clickity click
    more bee than wasp maybe lol its not exact science

vrapan
    Free Member

Hm Thanks NET, not sure I have enough time to change my mind either though as the wheels are being built tomorrow! :p Will give him a ring in the morning see what he thinks.

sworks120
    Free Member

Thanks for the info,
    Any other problems with these hubs ?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

thread revival- any long term views on the ztr hubs reliability/durability?
    Cheers
    Pop

twinklydave

Been racing on a pair since last April – all good so far!

Had to replace the bearings a couple of months ago (not suprisingly, they have been raced & ridden through some horrid conditions for loooong periods of time), managed to muller the end of the axle (entirely my fault – no-one else would bugger up like I did!) but JRA were great at getting spares out to me and they’re back to being faultless again now 🙂

TimCotic
    Free Member

The hubs seem good – I’ve had the Heavy Duty front wheel for about 8 months. It spins much smoother and longer than my old Pro 2 front wheel. The rear is good too. My only slight niggle was that the freehub body doesn’t have unique size splines like the Hope, so you have to be careful to line the bits of the cassette because it’s possible to fit them misaligned. Not a problem if you realise this before fitting.
    Watch out for the Crests, I got some initially but I just couldn’t get my tires on as they were so tight. I got JRA to swap ’em for 355’s.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ZTR Hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.