Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Zee brakes
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

dizcostix out of interest what levers are you going to use?

dizcostix
    Free Member

using the XTR M988 levers with the xter BH90 hose as advised by madison:

“Hi Dave,

Thank you for your email.

You can use the M988 levers with the new Zee 4 pot calliper. You must use Shimano brake hose SM-BH90 as the inner diameter is smaller.

Regards,

Shimano”

mattjevans
    Free Member

fyi my understanding is that you need to use BH90-SBS or BH90-SBSL (this is the Saint hose with the long gold banjo) with Zee calipers as the Zee and Saint calipers have shorter banjo bolts than XTR/XT/SLX

stuarty
    Free Member

Got email my stuffs been dispatched
    Wished I ordered 2 calipers now

Rember something about the longer banjo for heat transfer

lump

They couldn’t honor my order for two calipers. So I canceled my order 🙁 And if you already have the M985’s just drop the new calipers on and bleed ?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I picked up on this when everyone else was ordering and got 4 calipers delivered last week – lucky me eh?

After a bit of pondering what levers I ended up ordering 4 Zee levers from Winstanley’s as well.

Get the feeling I might save a few pennies but am putting myself through more effort than necessary…

mattjevans
    Free Member

Got email my stuffs been dispatched
    Wished I ordered 2 calipers now

Same ! On both counts

Get the feeling I might save a few pennies but am putting myself through more effort than necessary…

Yep, but I am “between jobs” so saving pennies is higher priority than saving effort

kudos100
    Free Member

I got a full set, but the calipers have only been dispatched today. A bit of a pain in the arse, but good on winstanleys for fulfilling the order.

mattjevans
    Free Member

So who has found the best price for the Zee or Saint BH90 hose? Evans with 15% off at the moment seems to be UK cheapest?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the Shimano fittings and hose (they still appear to leak)….if you are going to buy Shimano then get some goodridge steel braided hoses and fittings.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Goodridge fittings are fairly pricey and their website seems quite useless, totally unclear which kit might work with Shimano M820 and M640 calipers

dizcostix
    Free Member

goodridge kit 108 for those calipers……unless you’re using xtr 985/988 levers which means you should use the shimano xtr/saint hose with the smaller bore.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I thought you could fit Goodridge lines to 2012/2013 SLX/XT/XTR sing the 107 kit fittings.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m using Superstar hose and fittings – works perfectly on my Zee levers and calipers. Came in at under a tenner an end.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Goodridge 108 kit was for saint m810, I have seen nothing confirming compatibility with m820

mattjevans
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, good to know. Superstar kit 3 right?

mattjevans
    Free Member

Caliper arrived today. Good on Winstanley for honouring these orders

andyrm
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, good to know. Superstar kit 3 right?

I’ve got kit 2 as that’s the fitment for Saint M810 which the Zee caliper shares pads with – came with both length banjo bolts when I ordered back in mid-September. It’s working spot on. But looking at the fitment guide, it now looks like kit 3 is the one.

🙂

mattjevans
    Free Member

No, my mistake kit 3 is banjo to banjo, kit 2 should still be the right one

RobHilton
    Free Member

kit 2 should still be the right one

You guys are most useful 🙂 I asked SS a couple of days ago and they wanted me to figure it out for myself.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Yeah I got told the same.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Makes me want to shop elsewhere, but where else can fulfil my desire for uber-pimping my “steed” sell me such goppingly coloured components :mrgreen:

It’s good they do most stuff in black…

mattjevans
    Free Member

I dont care about colour, just don’t know where else to find brake hoses and fittings for £20-ish all in

singlespeedstu

bwaarp – Member

I thought you could fit Goodridge lines to 2012/2013 SLX/XT/XTR sing the 107 kit fittings.

You can.

That’s what i fitted to my 2012 xt’s to resolve the leaky Shimano hose problems.

kudos100
    Free Member

My calipers turned up today. Ordered the superstar kit, so hopefully will be running the zee’s on my dh bike by the weekend 🙂

mattjevans
    Free Member

Seems theres a lot of “discount” Zee being assembled this weekend!

stuarty
    Free Member

ERM mine arrived as well
    Roll on sat for hoses and bleeding fun

Shimano quotes one way bleeding on servowave levers
    Would that be down the way or caliper up

PS slx levers a right nice job regardless of price
    How does this I spec lever work

mattjevans
    Free Member

You need i-spec shifters if you want to combine shifter and brake. What shifters have you got – recent XTR and XT can be upgraded to i-spec (I think….)

I believe one way bleed is from the calliper, but not 100% on this – however, since air bubbles rise that would seem to make sense…

stuarty
    Free Member

Well what a load of faffing about..
    Slx lever fitted
    Knob couldn’t make hose (hungover)
    Ended up with hel MTB hose kit 2mtrs hose and far too many fittings
    Balls to work with would buy superstar or jag wire instead
    might still
    Had to buy bleed kit and mineral oil another 9 quid
    Couldn’t get syringe only 5ml from chemist couldn’t be added going to the vets

Faffed about trying to cut hose with various blunt garden clippers etc before I found the cutters that I had left at my arise
    On with the faffing about hose on
    Spare lump of hose (fish tank pump hose)
    Onto nipple looped up over bars and back down into mineral oil bottle
    Filled bleed resvoir opened nipple
    Coffee sandwich and 2 buns later
    Not a bubble in sight
    Bucked the pads in threw the split pin in the bin
    Old giant pad bolt in place
    Pump lever holly Toledo lever solid
    Hands washed quick test drive down hill

Enough power to lift back wheel at any speed with one finger
    And no brake squeel thank **** for that
    Ready for descent run tommorow morn
    see how we go off road

stuarty
    Free Member

Wholy fect did I just type all that tis nearly a book 😳
    Totals
    64 for lever n caliper
    29.99 for hose kit
    9 quid for fluid n bleed resvoir
    Was it such a bargain mmmm

Still need to do rear brake…
    Dilemma. ..lol

mattjevans
    Free Member

Apples to apples – the £30 for the hose kit and 9 for the fluid and bleed does both ends, right? That’s £19 an end. 83 in total for a Zee/SLX combo (which I assume is what you did?). Seems worth a bit of faff to me

How much fluid did you use for one brake, I need to buy a kit from Epic and wondering if I need more than one bottle of oil

kudos100
    Free Member

I paid about £155 all in, with the superstar kit. It was a bit of hassle, but worth it as the brakes are stonkingly good 😀

Looking forward to riding some proper downhill and giving them a real test.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Is it worth replacing my Avid rotors while I’m at it, or don’t bother? I doubt I can afford Ice-tech right now so thinking I should just leave it

kudos100
    Free Member

Don’t bother, unless you are riding champery, the brakes will be plenty powerful enough.

mattjevans
    Free Member

thanks. Will just give them a sand and a wipe with some alcohol then.

just ordered my hoses and fluid. Wife says I’ll have to have the levers for Xmas…

tracknicko
    Free Member

Can someone confirm fitting kit/hose swap required for this… (see below)

basically i have older saints, and want to fit servowave levers and keep older callipers (will prob just go for deore levers as they are cheaper)

do i need new hose?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/old-saint-brakes-upgrade-lever-or-calliper-or

igm

Didn’t know what a ZEE brakes was so I googled it.

It appears to have a old Hope Mono M4 caliper on it.

mattjevans
    Free Member

It appears to have a old Hope Mono M4 caliper on it.

I guess appearances can be deceiving

oreetmon
    Free Member

got mine about 6mnths ago from israeli fleabay, £130 posted for the pair 😛 (no rotors though)

amazing brakes

mattjevans
    Free Member

I started doing the hose for the frankenbrakes tonight. Struggling to get the Superstar banjos into the hose all the way – its about 80% on (ie the last barb is in the hose but I can’t push the hose right up to the banjo edge). Can I just do up the fitting tight, the olive crimp should presumably push it the last bit on?

ultimate test is if it p*sses mineral oil everywhere on first good pull of course, but thought worth asking.

No idea how I am going to get the lever end hose inserts in. At least the banjos have something to hold and push in. where do you get those yellow blocks?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Zee brakes’ is closed to new replies.