Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old Saint brakes – upgrade lever, or calliper, or..
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I have the M800 old saint brakes, not the most powerful anymore, but could I get any noticable & cheap gains by upgrading:

levers, maybe to XT
    calipers, maybe to XT,
    pads, might try the nice superstar red kevlar pads, very grippy in my XTs

any opinions?

Kato

M800 Saint’s were the best brakes I ever owned. Have Formula’s now and yearn for my old Shimano’s back

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I have the XTs from the same era (same brake, different colour) running 203/180 rotors and SS Kevlar pads. Never needed/wanted to change for anything else – awesome brakes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

give them a little tlc.

they’re ace.

stop using spray lube, clean your discs.

jules.b
    Free Member

Got room for bigger rotors?

beanieripper
    Free Member

Ive got em too on my ht and they are the best brakes ive ever owned, and most reliable… clean the discs, bleed them and fit some new pads..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Some good points but maybe some of you haven’t tried the latest shimano brakes!
    Well they’ve never been bled, in 5 years, so that may be worth a try 🙂 still feel pretty firm though.
    I think the SS kevlar pads are worth a try.
    Currently a 180 rotor, these float32s can take a 203 I think so that would definitely help on the front. I keep the discs pretty lube free as a rule.

Just wondering if it’s really the new levers or the new calipers that have developed the most.

rocket
    Free Member

I’d say give them a good bleed and new pads and see what that does for you before spending more money. I’ve got some that must be 6 or 7 years old. Pretty much when they came out. Bled them a couple of years ago for the first time, not because I really needed to, just thought I should do really. made them a lot sharper. Still going strong, although that bike is hardly getting any use at the mo. Have tried newer ones (xt I think) and didn’t think it was worth the bother / expense.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

IMO the best brakes made. I have had quite a few sets of older saints and XT and I love them. Easy to bleed reliable and great modulation and good stopping power. I have never felt the need for anything else. Running older XT caliper and Dual control Saint levers shifters with new style XTR centre lock rotors in 160mm F+R, clarks sintered pads. Will not buy anything else until these are well worn out. They still are like new though!

Northwind

They’re very good, those. But if you don’t like them any more, stick them on SDH and sell them to some grom who just wants Saint because of the name and doesn’t care what Saint it is.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

lol, so tempting northwind. Maybe splash a little gold paint on em to clinch the deal.

OK so I think a good bleed & some SS kevlar pads will be a nice cheap bit of R&D. Thanks all.

Still be interested to hear if anyone has swapped out the calipers/levers on these.

guitarhero
    Free Member

The servo wave levers are where the major improvements are in the newer shimano brakes.
    I’ve got a pair of new style saint levers in good cosmetic, excellent functional condition I’ll do you for £40 posted.
    These would be a big improvement on the M800 levers.
    Mail me if you’re interested.

mboy
    Free Member

As guitarhero says, it’s the servowave levers that make the difference. Not much in the M765/M800 calipers to the newer M775, but the levers are a big difference.

That said, start with a bleed, some kevlar pads, and go from there. By the sounds of things, they’re still working ok and you’ve got some scope to improve their performance still… OR, just sell em as is, and buy some 2nd hand XT’s for about £100 or so. You will notice the extra power of the servowave lever for definite.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Been wondering the same myself. New frame on its way from the classifieds. Looking to put longer forks on which will mean a new hose as the current one is going to be too short. Heard very good things about the newer saint brakes so was thinking of getting a set of levers to match with the older calipers. Current levers are looking tatty and one lever badly bent. New levers look like they would tidy up the handlebars quite a bit.
    Will keep an eye on this thread for results…

BadlyWiredDog

Fit a pair of SLX levers and you’re good to go. That’s the difference. The calipers are pretty much the same casting just with the bleed nipple location and hose entry point swapped over.

I’ve done this with a couple of sets of the older, pre-Servowave XTs – identical to the Saints above – and it works really well, performance is the same as the later Sevowave XTs, which I also have.

HTH. And fwiw, the Servowave levers make a huge difference and also makes them feel less wooden ime.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old Saint brakes – upgrade lever, or calliper, or..’ is closed to new replies.