Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Your top 10 of punk bands….
  • metalheart
    Free Member

you aint no punk you punk, you wanna talk about the real junk?

difficult to knock out a top 10 as everybody seems to have a different definition of punk. half of them mentioned above dont cut it for me.

US favourites have to be Patti, Ramones, Richard Hell for sure. Mighty fine as Minutemen, Big Black (Sonic Youth, Dinosaur, etc) are they aint punk in my book (ok mebbe the Minutemen at a push). Even Jonathon Richman/Modern Lovers! NY Dolls, Dead Boys, Suicide

UK Pistols have to be there. I dont really care what anybody else thinks they were punk in the UK. Buzzcocks definitely too. Subway Sect. Damned. Then it gets a bit thin. Yeah Slits. Crass (well I was a teenage crasshead I don't mind admitting – ha they even have a Facebook page now!). Discharge. And definitely The Undertones. I remmeber them on TOTP wearing parkas flairs and docs. uber geek cool… Alternative TV (always loved Another Coke live rant, still makes me laugh)

Boomtown Rats punk WTF? Pish more like. Power pap. UK Subs? nah. Sham, still have a sneaking liking for em. Never liked SLF, 999, Gen X or that. Siouxsie I never could really like neither. The Clash, well I never really liked them until London Calling which could never in a million years be called punk.

metalheart
    Free Member

er I thought I posted something, where'd it go?

can't be arzed to go through all that again.

i don't get all this original punks stuff though I mean it was over 30 years ago now. and i remember how sad all them teds and hippies looked…

emac65
    Free Member

Yes mattsccm!!!

Your right!
    999!!!! they were great!

& in my original top 10 8)
    But it was Nasty Nasty & No Pity that always did it for me,two utterly fantastic tunes……

tazzymtb

virgin Prunes
    adam and the ants (xerox era)

Macinblack
    Free Member

Have to think hard about this one and weed out the false memories. Having revisited some of the OP's era defined bands on youtube, some sound a bit tired nowadays.

Anyway, in no order:

Discharge
    GBH
    The Damned
    Anti Nowhere League
    UK Subs
    Bad Brains
    Black Flag
    Dead Kennedys
    The Ruts
    The Toy Dolls

That's a quick ponder but there's much more, especially amongst the ones that never found any great prominence.

Wish the forkers would stay buried though, most of the reforms are somewhat embarassing and I can't bring myself to go and see them. How many wrinkles has Becki Bondage showing now? Is Charlie Harper related to Mr Burns?

metalheart
    Free Member

and I forgot about TVP's Part Time Punks.
    The Fall any one?
    Crime – Hot Wire My Heart?
    Fear?
    Throbbing Gristle?

Hairychested
    Free Member

In no particular order:
    GBH
    Bad Brains
    Dead Kennedys
    The Toy Dolls
    Totten Hosen
    S.O.D./M.O.D.
    The Exploited
    No Means No (saw them with a punk girl, does it count?)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Still gotta be Sub-Humans for me and the Cultureshock/Citizen Fish incarnations afterwards.

Cradle to the Grave – probably the best punk album ever.

emac65
    Free Member

Have to think hard about this one and weed out the false memories. Having revisited some of the OP's era defined bands on youtube, some sound a bit tired nowadays.

But only in your opinion….
    I could blow holes in some of your list too.GBH(Wilf I think) asked ME if I wanted their autograph once,lol.
    I laughed at them & said no thanks mate….

Macinblack
    Free Member

emac65 – Member

"Have to think hard about this one and weed out the false memories. Having revisited some of the OP's era defined bands on youtube, some sound a bit tired nowadays."

"But only in your opinion….
    I could blow holes in some of your list too.GBH(Wilf I think) asked ME if I wanted their autograph once,lol.
    I laughed at them & said no thanks mate…."

You've misread what I meant, I was referring to bands from that era rather than bands from your list.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Dimestore Haloes
    Dead Kennedys
    Travis Cut
    Ramones
    Sex Pistols
    Buzzcocks
    Stooges
    The Clash
    Patrik Fitzgerald
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Ok, so I wasn't born until '81 but that means I'm not clouded by nostalgia…
    If you haven't heard of any of the above, I urge you to have a listen.

sc-xc

if we're going modern…I'll put Gogol Bordello up.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I was also a bit young for the first generation punk but the second generation is what made me pick up a guitar in the first place.

my top ten would be

Husker Du (my all time favourite band)
    Subhumanz
    Bad Brains
    Conflict
    Fugazi
    Dead Kennedys
    The Damned
    Killing Joke
    The Clash
    The Ramones

I always found the first generation of punk was more about fashion (it came from St Martn's school of art) than anything else. The second generation made it more about lifestyle and it became a lot more political.

Pigface
    Free Member

For really crazy gigs Discharge were off the scale, The Meteors for senseless violence.

Personal faves The Damned saw them about 15 times. Anti Nowhere League couldnt play a note but were great. SLF first time were great then they turned into popstars.

Anti Pasti for that one anthem. Chron Gen, GBH, Abrasive Wheels.

Hated the Oi stuff, going to those gigs was a health hazard.

emac65
    Free Member

You've misread what I meant, I was referring to bands from that era rather than bands from your list

Oh I see, 😳

GBH were still t0ssers tho…..

Pigface
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Minor Threat?

Macinblack
    Free Member

Oh I see,

GBH were still t0ssers tho…

Absolutely, biggest bunch of posers going.

Coyote
    Free Member

Quite liked Southern Death Cult, Sex Gang Children and Alien Sex Fiend. Could be argued that they they're not really "punk" but it we are allowing Sham 69 (anyone remember Complete Crap)then I'm having them.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Coyote you can't have any of the above.They were all comedy bands as were Sham 69 …..urry up arry cam arnn.
    One of my punk claims to fame was telling Discharge mk2(the one that you know and love) that their new direction was doomed. Not for the first,or last time,I was completely wrong.

DezB
    Free Member

Coyote's lot are after even post-punk. They were from that "Batcave" era (along with The Specimen). Good live bands, but not punk.

Anyway, dunno if there will be 10 in my list, as I don't listen to much music I was into in the past
    Pistols
    Stooges
    Clash
    Crass
    Siouxsie (Scream era)
    Buzzcocks
    Ruts

Iggy is the number one really, just a shame about those adverts.
    (oh yeah, The Adverts!)

My son is called Lydon, by the way 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Youth of today
    gorilla biscuits
    judge
    slapshot
    spermbirds
    minor threat
    suicidal tendencies (first album)
    the boneless ones
    circle jerks
    dag nasty
    mcrad

kiwijohn

From NZ:
    the Enemy -> Toylove
    Flesh-D-Vice
    Sticky Filth
    Bailter Space
    Tall Dwarves
    Head Like A Hole

From Oz:
    The Saints
    Cosmic Psychos
    Sprung Monkey
    Frenzal Rhomb
    Front End Loader
    6 Foot Hick

Coyote
    Free Member

"Post Punk"? WTF.

Punk was an idea. Hawkwind were more "punk" than Sham 69 and all the footie-hooligan-here-we-go-here-we-go-oi-oi-oi-exploited-barmy-shite-look-at-us-we-are-a-prototype-boy-band-GBH.

montylikesbeer

Punk was a reaction against so much, three day week, space hoppers, Yes (the band), tank tops, 55 min drum solo's, bins not collected for 5 weeks, tabac aftershave from the market, finders savoury pancakes, black and white mistral show on tv,street party's, draught bass ale.

Punk was short-sighted (if it had any sight), new, fresh , angry, self expression, out of tune……………………but more importantly……just what we needed

Philby

All of the above and the Only Ones.

All time best gigs in the late 70s were the Buzzcocks, Ramones and the Clash at Leeds Uni and Stiff Little Fingers at York Pop Club.

slimtubing
    Free Member

no love for UK Decay?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

kiwijohn – cheers for the reminder, The Saints were a top band. I'm sure I've started dementing, how could I have forgotten 'I'm stranded'? – they also did a brilliant version of 'Lipstick on your collar' – happy memories.

DezB
    Free Member

Coyote, please teach me about music. I know nothing. Duh

jam-bo

i know nothing about punk other than the fact my uncle is the drummer in 999. still is, they still tour germany every year i think.

he's late 50's now..

john_drummer
    Free Member

Quite liked Southern Death Cult, Sex Gang Children and Alien Sex Fiend.

GOTH. ASF were about as goth as you could get. SDC became Death Cult became The Cult, and we know what happened to them. Might go see them do the Love album live in October though

Most, if not all, of the goth bands would not have happened if it hadn't been for punk. You could argue that one or two of the punk bands became goth (Siouxsie & The Banshees anyone?).

I started listening to SLF & The Undertones, then The Damned & The Clash, because the band I was in at the time (1981-84) were doing that kind of stuff. We 'evolved' into a goth band like many others at the time (see above).

I never really liked Joy Division though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

WRONG…Southern Death Cult became Getting the Fear, by 3 to 1. 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

well, true, but IA took the name with him

IdleJon

trailmonkey – Member

I don't really think that acid house had the cultural influence/impact that punk had.

In many respects I'd say it had far greater impact.

When I read this post earlier my first reaction was that I remember my dad pointing out a couple of proper mohican'd studded punks when we visited London in the 70s. He has never, as far as I know, pointed at anybody with an interest in acid-house.

Then through the evening I've been thinking about it and realised that I hadn't got a clue what acid-house is, or who made the music. So I wikipediad and I'm only slightly enlightened.

So imo the reason acid-house didn't have the same influence as punk is because the general population probably couldn't make a top ten list of acid-house artistes. Or maybe they could and it's me who is the musical ignoramus. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I have to say, original "proper" punks didn't have mohicans. Mohicans came later when folk started making a punk fashion. Not that its really relevant to the point you're making.

"Mummy, look at the silly acid house man!"

IdleJon

punks didn't have mohicans

Hey, I'm getting old – my memory may not be crystal clear any more!

DezB
    Free Member

Bit of selective editing there, Jon!

sadexpunk

could be wrong but i seem to remember mohicans taking off after a picture in Sounds mag, of Rainy from Discharge after a car crash or something? didnt he need part of his head shaving for stitches, and made it into a mohican?

Motorhead
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable 😉

Just the sort of thing you'd expect a boring old fart music journo to say!

Stuart Maconie is not the above, I was there with his "crew" in his home town and of course Manchesto at the time of punk, it was fantastic, I was 16, what a time! He ain't boring now either. Bloody marvellous time right through till the late 90's. Yes we're all late 40's -early 50's, but we are still cool people, faded to grey yes, but still on-it ish.
    Anarchy in the UK, what a memory, fantastic…

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE – when I were a lad…. 😛

/doffs cap //cap back on.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Strictly speaking punk was a fashion before it became a musical/social movement. McLaren has a lot to answer for 😉

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Fugazi

Husker Du

Minor Threat

Dead Kennedys

The Germs

Black Flag

Bad Brains

Big Black

Shellac

Sonic Youth

I have to say that i generally don't like UK punk (sex pistols etc) although i don't mind the buzzcocks (boom,tsh)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Your top 10 of punk bands….’ is closed to new replies.