Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Your top 10 of punk bands….
  • MrAgreeable

I think it was Stuart Maconie I heard say that he really felt sorry for kids since punk because they haven't had such a massive revolution of music & culture that the mid/late 70's brought to the UK

Just the sort of thing you'd expect a boring old fart music journo to say! 😛 What did punk revolutionise exactly? From reading stuff like Jon Savage's England's Dreaming it seems like it became a caricature of itself so quickly…

roper
    Free Member

I know they are recent but I can't believe McFly or Avril Lavigne have'nt been given a mention.

zarquon
    Free Member

spandau Ballet
    Duran Duran
    haircut 100
    Nick Kershaw
    bananarama
    Heaven17
    Howard Jones
    UB40
    Dire Straights
    Level 42

I lay the blame at Punk's door

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

What did punk revolutionise exactly

My hair & clothes for a start 😀

MrAgreeable

So it was a fashion thing, basically? 😛

trailmonkey

I think it was Stuart Maconie I heard say that he really felt sorry for kids since punk because they haven't had such a massive revolution of music & culture that the mid/late 70's brought to the UK

I guess acid house must have passed Mr Maconie by then.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don't really think that acid house had the cultural influence/impact that punk had.

I understand what he is saying – before rock n roll (the real influencer of all modern music and cultural fallout) there was no derivative music. Then came bands like the Stones and The Who. But with every 'new' sound comes similarities to other sounds and punk was the last truly inventive new sound.

At least that's what I think.

MrAgreeable

I don't think he has an internet connection either. 🙂

trailmonkey

I don't really think that acid house had the cultural influence/impact that punk had.

In many respects I'd say it had far greater impact.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Plasmatics
    Rezillos
    Revillos (yeah I know)
    Dickies

rkk01
    Free Member

Post punk… but influenced..

The Jam
    Joy Division
    Husker Du

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In many respects I'd say it had far greater impact.

Really?

Ask any 12 year old what punk is then ask them what acid house is. I bet more of them have heard of punk and could identify a punk rocker.

But I guess it depends in what respect you think it had a greater impact…

SidKillerest
    Free Member

What about the Bad Brains?? My hardcore heroes… made all the other DC bands sound like pop bands. Amazing. Bunch of stoned rastas showing the white punx how to do it properly.
    Punk bands pi$$ed people off….. Bad Brains pi$$ed all the punk bands off! Excellent.

emac65
    Free Member

My lads(15 & 16)never listen to any acid house yet play loads of punk,but that "might" be because of me…… 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My (now 11 years old) niece loves the Keiser Chiefs and has seen them live, along with the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and that weird Nordid thrash metal/punk/acid band whoever they are called.

But as with Emac – she is influenced by her dad 🙂

My two (12 weeks old) are already being force-fed my punk/metal etc… 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

What about THE CRAMPS?

Oh an anyone mentioned THE EXPLOITED?

sadexpunk

soooooooo many and most been covered already. a couple which stand the test of time tho to me are killing joke, and birthday party. still think nick caves a genius 🙂

every now and then ill have a 'sad session' and play a load of old stuff, but a lot of it seems a bit wishywashy now. rudimentary peni anyone? 🙂

nobodys mentioned crass or their ilk yet by the way. no reason for saying that as they werent my fave. or is that why they havent been mentioned, nobody liked em? 🙂

trailmonkey

nobodys mentioned crass or their ilk yet by the way

yes i did

Ask any 12 year old what punk is then ask them what acid house is. I bet more of them have heard of punk and could identify a punk rocker.

Just take a look at what any 12 year old is listening to right now. I'll bet you any money that it's a direct link to acid house and the dance music revoloution that it created.

sadexpunk

oops i stand corrected trailmonkey 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Oh an anyone mentioned THE EXPLOITED?

Because they were/are shite ?Saw the Exploited live many times,I still don't know why.Mind "Big John" always made me laugh 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Oops double post ???

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There ya go, I was 15

dasnut
    Free Member

misfits all the way

sadexpunk

B.A.Nana, do you know, i reckon i went to see that too, but in lincoln (silvergate ballroom was it called then?). defo those 3 and a film of some sort. whether it was a tour or not ive no idea. nice one 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Annie Anxiety,remember seeing her support Crass at Digbeth Civic hall around '82.She read poetry didn't she,anyway she read for 10-15 minutes & was gobbed on the whole time.Not by me,I was in the bar….

I'm sure I saw that tour too,but Flux of Pink indians were on the bill as well….

sadexpunk

ha ha ha ha ha!!!

sad sad sad 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

B.A.Nana, do you know, i reckon i went to see that too, but in lincoln (silvergate ballroom was it called then?). defo those 3 and a film of some sort. whether it was a tour or not ive no idea. nice one

Then you will have seen them on the 5/05/82, three days later, according to this crass gigs list

slugwash
    Free Member

I don't think anyone's mentioned Reagan Youth, Big Black, or Scratch Acid as yet.

IdleJon

I went to a Big Punk Gig (I think that's how it was billed) recently. The Damned being supported by Mike Peters of the Alarm and the lead singer from Stiff Little Finger. Totally enjoyed The Damned.

What made me laugh was that there were so many really intimidating looking 'proper' punks there, until you saw them up close and realised that they were 50yr+ old grandads. (Maybe younger but if so being a punk is a hard life!)

Saw the Buzzcocks about 10 years ago – just very repetitive and rather boring.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

It's too easy to be dismissive about Dance/hip hop/house music. It had a similar impact to punk,musically and culturally.
    The Clash
    Buzzcocks
    Sex Pistols
    Siouxsie and The Banshees
    Stiff little Fingers
    The Damned
    Discharge
    The Jam
    Dead Kennedys
    Crass
    Many of the bands mentioned in previous posts,I would class as new wave,or post-punk. Television,The Birthday Party etc…

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Minutemen- far more than just the rather limited hardcore scene, one of my all time fav's
    Suicide
    Richard Hell
    Fugazi

Starrman28
    Free Member

It was like that at the Specials gigs this year, loads of bone heads, then youy realise they had no choice, great gig though.

tazzymtb

Discharge
    Conflict
    Crass
    Fugazi
    Minor threat
    Poison Idea
    Dead Kennedys
    Siouxsie and the banshees
    The expoited
    The Damned

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Snuf
    NoFX
    Dead Kennedys
    Vandals
    Sick of it All
    MXPX
    Gorilla Biscuits
    …and most of the above too…

SSP

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hey! I was 21 in 1976 so I know what i'm takin' about (ffpurrp!)….

It was thus…..
    1. The Ruts
    2. Undertones
    3. The Sex Pistols

The rest were shite wanabees!

Oh OK…
    4. The Clash

That's it.

SB

mattsccm
    Free Member

what about 999? Agree with lots above, especially the Rezillos. Destination Venus live. The best track ever.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes mattsccm!!!

Your right!
    999!!!! they were great!

Homicide!!!!….Homicide!!!!!!…. Homicide, Ho, mi, cide!!!

5. 999

SB

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Anti Pasti?

sc-xc

[SUB][HUM][ANS]

Then the mighty, never been bettered Culture Shock…

not forgetting Citizen Fish

I love Dick 😉

sc-xc

mattsccm – Member

what about 999?

Saw them in Germany…we were waiting for NMA though….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Your top 10 of punk bands….’ is closed to new replies.