• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by oink.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Your experinces with Tibolts aka Superstar
  • pate
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m after higher quantity of Ti bolts (M6)and was wondering If any of you use them and If they are a good quality or should avoid them. Thanks for your advice. Cheers P

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fresh croissants, anyone?

xiphon
    Free Member

bullheart
    Free Member

Ho ho ho. Where are my custard creams?

ononeorange

No no. It’s Friday and so it has to be Jammy Dodgers.

Nick

JonR
    Free Member

I have bought rotors and pads from them, never had trouble with any of them and I’d recommend to a friend. I understand that a few years back they had a consignment of bad pads and that some of the people who bought them still have their panties in a bunch.

Murray

Bought some pads from them last year – no problems.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Superstar I can’t comment on, but I bought a job lot of Ti bolts from ‘Ti-bolts’ a while back, the quality was appalling so I sent the lot back.

Stu661
    Free Member

I got some M6 one’s from them a few years ago and they did the job. They are not as good a quality as the other TI bolts I got from Tasty Nuts. If I was was to get them again I would just spend a bit more and go to Tasty Nuts.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

pay cheap pay twice

pate
    Free Member

I knew what I was getting myself into. Thanks Xiphon, that was my feeling when I was typing it.
    Kingtut how long ago was that? Just after some Ti bolts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had 2 BB’s fail, one in 6 hours the other in 8. Apparently I installed them incorectly, funny that seeing as after the much more complicated procedure of fitting SKF bearings into the shells they’ve been fine?

I’d use the pads again if it wasn’t liing the pockets of the lying twunt owner.

pate
    Free Member

OK. Pro- bolt it is. Thanks everyone for the info.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingtut how long ago was that? Just after some Ti bolts.

A couple of years back, personally I’d recommend pro bolt however I did strike lucky on Ebay for two sets of rotor bolts and torx bit for £10 and they were really good quality.

anto164
    Free Member

Why use bolts when you can use araldite?

Lighter, and probably stronger.

Raymond

Bought some rotor bolts from them – made of metalic cheese I suspect. Mucky Nutz ones are good though.

njee20
    Free Member

Pro Bolt all the way, was really unimpressed with Superstar bolts, highly rate their pads though!

Do you really need ti for all of them? Alu is half the weight and 25% the price, just not great in high stress areas!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Alu bolts are spot on for brake and gear lever clamps.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

No issues ever with them, I’m a fan of their blingy shineyness

njee20
    Free Member

Alu bolts are spot on for brake and gear lever clamps.

Agreed, and chainring bolts, everything in your mechs, bottle bosses and headset top cap.

I’m using Ashima alu rotor bolts too – I’ve not died!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hmm, I do use alu chainring bolts but I have found they can shatter when you undo them but in use they are fine even on a SS, however with bottle bosses I have found that if the cage is not recessed enough the bolt can head get won down by the bottle and is a bitch to remove.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes certainly my bolts have got slightly worn by the bottle, never obstructed the bottle though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The bolt is a bitch to remove, not the bottle!

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, yes, quite possible! I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Using a Mt Zoom ti cage now, so the bolt sits proud – should be able to gorilla it out if needed, used to use carbon cages where it was in a recess, can see that would be a real problem.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought some rotor bolts for my Ti obsessed mate – some of the heads sheared off.

compositepro
    Free Member

second the tastynuts comment

terrahawk
    Free Member

benz
    Free Member

Never had any issues with Ti rotor bolts from this particular UK based ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T25-Torx-Head-Titanium-Brake-Disc-Bolt-Kit-12-piece-/260786520583?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cb8168207

Also bought some Ti brake caliper bolts – no issues.

Guess key is to consider appropriate anti-galling measures?

tommid
    Free Member

I know this is not the popularist view, but I have used SUperstar a number of times and everyone has been positive.
    Prices are low = Good. Delivery is quick = Good. Items work and last= Good. Overall summery is good. But you get what you pay for in this world.

njee20
    Free Member

This isn’t a Superstar bashing thread, it’s about their ti bolts, which are poor quality.

I bought a set of their ti bolts for Avid brakes – the caliper bolts were too long and fouled the rotor and one of the heads was too distorted to be able to use the bolt.

Their pads are great!

pate
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. It was only about Tibolt titanium bolts. As I wasn’t sure about them as I may have read that they weren’t very good.
    Ordered from Pro-bolt in the end. It’s for callipers. Brake clamps, stem cap, cages = Alu bolts.

njee20
    Free Member

So when you said ‘higher quantity’ you meant 8 bolts at most 🙂

pate
    Free Member

No, more than that. I need about 12+. As I decided to do my 1+X=Y bikes 😆

Northwind

For the ti bolts, they’re machined (eroded?) a little bit slack and the heads are shallow so you need good tools and a bit of attention to fit them safely. Try and whack them in with a rusty B&Q allen key and you’ll round the bolt and probably end up on here emoraging at Superstar 😉 It’s not good but it’s easily worked with and the prices are still decent.

Superstar in general are a bit erratic in my experience, I’ve had some excellent service and nice touches (frinstance, bought a 4-pack of pads and asked to change one pair to organics to try out, they sent me the organic pack for free, doesn’t cost much but it was nice work). But they handled my seatpost issues badly. It got fixed eventually but it went

1) New dropper seatpost doesn’t work. Contact Superstar
    2) They say to service it. Serviced it. Still doesn’t work. Send post back to Superstar
    3) They say “You caused the problem when you serviced it but we’ve fixed it now” and send it back, even though the problem was there from new. It still doesn’t work.
    4) Finally fixed on second attempt

oink
    Free Member

bought a load this week – no issues, all have fitted fine. In fact everything i’ve bought from superstar or tibolts has been perfect.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Your experinces with Tibolts aka Superstar’ is closed to new replies.