Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Your average rear tyre width on a 5-6" susser
  • Blacklug
    Free Member

Doing the geeky-tech talk on todays ride. And the conversation moved to what width tyre is best on the back of a 5-6″ susser.
    I tend to use between 2.1 and 2.4 … never bigger or smaller.

Was surprised to hear one guy never rides anything wider than a 2.1 on his. This is not his race/marathon bike .. its his 140mm play bike.

Anybody else ride narrow on the back of a 5-6inch full-suss bike?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, 2.1 Medusa (more like a 2.0in really) at the moment.

It is v muddy out though.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

2.25 Nobby Nic seems about right for me. If Contis, tend to stick to 2.2 tops.

glenh
    Free Member

Matt_B
    Free Member

Yeah 2.2 Conti’s on mine. Nothing more than 2.3 though it does vary by brand.

jedi

i’m using 2.3 minions

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2.35 & 2.5 those 2 sizes are all I’ve used on my Pitch, although 2.35 Eskars are a fair bit bigger than 2.35 High Rollers 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

marin 140 wolfridge, used for local dh and trail riding

2.1 mud-x
    2.2 crossmark
    2.35 high roller
    2.5 minion and high rollers

that covers my range of tyres. 2.5 are just for dh, don’t ever ride up anything with them

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gone from a 2.4 front and 2.1 rear Kendal Nevegal combo, to a pair of 2.2 Conti Rubber Queens on my Heckler..

Thinking I may buy a 2.4 RQ For the front..

Not sure yet 🙁

Jeffus
    Free Member

2.25-2.35-2.4

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.35 minions anything smaller is for road riding

bella
    Free Member

2.35 – 2.4 seems to fit the bill most of the time.

oreetmon
    Free Member

2.35s here, anything bigger is overkill and smaller wont take the babysheads on my locals, run at 40psi they tick everybox (allyear/allrounders)

this_wreckage
    Free Member

2.25 Schwalbe. Either racing ralph or nobby nic depending on season.

Oddly enough though, the Schwalbes in 2.25 are about the same size as the 2.5 Maxxis minion i’m running on the front at the moment.

So it’s either a big 2.25 or a small 2.5 i guess??

Northwind

2.1 on mine usually (proper sized 2.1 though). Oh except for dh duties when I squeeze a 2.5 highroller into the back.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

2.35 Minions. Used to put Pan 2.1 Trailrakers on for the winter but don’t bother now

Seggons
    Free Member

2.4 fat albert

specializedneeds

Let’s not forget that 2.35 Minions & High Rollers are 52-559, so about 2.1 in reality. Other Maxxis tyres are more accurate:

Crossmark 2.1 (52-559)
    Advantage 2.1 (52-559)

baronspudulike
    Free Member

I tried 2.35 Kendas for a while and found anything they gave me on the downhills was taken away and more on the flat and uphill (plus they can’t do muddy, they squirm), went to 2.1 and it just gives a better balance over the whole ride. I used to use 1.8 panaracer fire xc’s ( which probably measure up to 1.65 in real life) on my 1997 heckler, back in 2002 (4 inches travel but that was big back then), and it was fast but I did buckle a few rear wheel rims and spent some time fixing snakebites but maybe that was just the tyre.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Your average rear tyre width on a 5-6" susser’ is closed to new replies.