• This topic has 238 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 239 total)
  • You never actually own one
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

I always thought it was a made up name. It’s actually real! Has anyone go one?

would it go well with Porsche 911? I have two kidneys

DezB
    Free Member

What is it? Some overpriced piece of jewellery for mugs who believe marketing bollocks?

ourmaninthenorth

No. Work for someone with a couple and a friend has one (trouble is he now has two sons, so presumably needs to find another 20k* for the other one….).

*they can cost way more than that and, TBH, at that sort of money you’re into low end Audemars Piguet. Vacheron still out of reach though…).

Rorschach
    Free Member

Is it man jewellery? (the equivalent of having your bank statement stapled to your wrist).

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Is it man jewellery? (the equivalent of having your bank statement stapled to your wrist).

The male equivilent of the Vagazzle?

doris5000

yeah it’s man jewellery.

but with marketing like that, even if i could afford it, i’d never buy one for fear of looking like a gullible sucker who fell for any old crap

cheekyboy
    Free Member

For those who hide their inadequacy behind the pretence of being discerning.

geoffj

You never actually one …… You just keep making the payments.

Northwind

It’s a good slogan tbh. Because even if you have no idea what it is they sell, you know exactly what they’re all about.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Bargin second hand price. I’m sure your great, great grand children will have many happy court dates deciding who is supposed to pay it off.

Drac

What’ are they on about?

bigjim

Porsche ads and poncy wrist watch ads, they’ve got the stw average income dialled.

DezB
    Free Member

Looks like I was right first time. Go me.

mrchrispy

do the ad people (kill yourself now) really think us lot are that gullible?
    Someone here must be or we wouldn’t be seeing them

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cycling is the new Golf. Obviously Porsche and Patek Philippe marketing people think that cyclists are a demographic with a growing disposable income and want a slice of the action.

To be fair, these watches appreciate in value and are really bought as an investment. There is a guy at work who collects nice watches – he’s not rich, just not married, always lived with his parents, no life and nothing else to spend his cash on. He’s spent tens of grand on several watches over the years, never wears them, but the entire collection is worth far more than he’s spent on it, especially since some are rare limited editions. If you had £5k burning a hole in your pocket right now then investing in a nice watch is probably among your best options and you’d be far better off buying a nice watch and riding a crappy bike than spending it on a top end plastic bike that will be value-less in 24 months time, and probably have the wrong wheel size.

v8ninety

To be fair, these watches appreciate in value and are really bought as an investment.

Im certainly not disputing the fact of this statement, just despairing at the stupidity of human nature that would rather ‘invest’ thousands and thousands of pounds in desirable versions of what essentially you can get for about a tenner than actually do some good with their money.

If you had £5k burning a hole in your pocket right now then investing in a nice watch is probably among your best options and you’d be far better off buying a nice watch and riding a crappy bike

yes, but only if by ‘better’ you mean that your assets will be worth more than the next guy when you die. Which ‘investment’ would have been more enjoyable though? What’s actually the point in a stupidly priced watch?

Rubber_Buccaneer

he’s not rich, just not married, always lived with his parents, no life and nothing else to spend his cash on.

He doesn’t really need an investment he needs some fun.

mefty
    Free Member

Read up about De Beers’ marketing in the last century here – very similar general idea

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve got a 2 year old timex but no descendants to pass it on too, i feel massive #fail

richmars

So which advert is it that starts playing the music without any clicks, roll over etc?
    (I know, get a p etc etc)

choppersquad
    Free Member

Rocketdog-I’ll have your Timex.
    Beats the hell out of a £20k penis extension.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Horology is OK in my book, mechanical watches are wonderful little devices. Beautifully handmade watches with multiple complications (extra stuff such as moonphase, tourbillons etc etc) can be amazing bits of engineering which some people appreciate and have the means to enjoy. I am not able to afford one but I don’t begrudge those who can. Of course it’s almost impossible to justify 40k+ on a watch but it’s the same for almost any luxury item, is an old Ferrari “worth” 2m+, yes, if someone wants to pay that then it is.

konabunny
    Free Member

To be fair, these watches appreciate in value and are really bought as an investment.

Do they really all go up in value?

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a jar of this, Balti not Philippe. It is 2 years out of date.

falkirk-mark

I wonder if anyone will be wearing wristwatches in another 30 years time or so.My lad is 20 and him and most if not all his mates do not wear watches as the always have their mobile to hand so I suspect the market for expensive watches could be somewhat limited.

jimbobo
    Free Member

expensive watches are like cufflinks. entirely superseded by a superior product, yet still suggests a certain degree of style. A watch like that is a fairly sound investment. classic watches tend to creep up in value, where as property/hedge funds/white powder is a more volatile market.

tonyg2003

I know a couple of people with them. They are very weathly and I suppose that you have to spend your money somewhere but they don’t do anything for me. They don’t remotely look that expensive in the flesh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

£6,000? On a bike? You could buy a watch for that!

Etc.

Some people spend their money on things that some people don’t. And, vice versa.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’ve got a jar of this, Balti not Philippe. It is 2 years out of date.

Couple more years, stick it on ebay as “vintage”

loddrik
    Free Member

I nearly bought a Patek Nautilus about 10 years ago when they were about £5k. Then I had kids and my finances went into reverse. Now I couldn’t even afford a brochure of a Patek and Boodles probably wouldn’t even let me in the store… 😥

A Seiko is all I need nowadays.

CountZero

I wonder if anyone will be wearing wristwatches in another 30 years time or so.My lad is 20 and him and most if not all his mates do not wear watches as the always have their mobile to hand so I suspect the market for expensive watches could be somewhat limited.

On the contrary, the market for a quality, mechanical watch is still pretty strong, especially among people who’s job dictates that any mobile/electronic device is forbidden in their workplace. And plenty of people don’t sit staring myopically at a screen all day, either.
    Like me, for example, and most of the people I work with every day.
    I find looking at my watch for the time to be far, far quicker than having to fish a phone out of a pocket, orientate it, wake it up, read the time, put the phone back into pocket.
    That’s why the wristwatch was created during WW1, because of the same issue with using a fob-watch in battlefield conditions.
    Perhaps it’s because society has gone back to the nineteenth century…
    In thirty years time, I possibly won’t even be alive, I quite possibly won’t be able to use a mobile phone, but as long as I can still see, I’ll be able to see the time on my Seiko automatic.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It’s just a consumer choice. A status display. A way for people lacking in confidence in anything except their bank accounts to state their presence, and allow people who think that is important to recognise them.

At least a really expensive Ferrari does something better than a car costing a tenth the price. This just doesn’t.

Sheep were made to be shorn

fd3chris
    Free Member

Beautiful watches and beautiful workmanship. I have a friend who loves watches and has a few but his favourite is breitling. I would love one of those……

MrSmith
    Free Member

any old crap

Having been to the manufacture in Geneva and photographed/handled a few Patek timepieces they are not ‘old crap’, from a horological point of view they are probably at the top of the tree (of volume manufacture)
    If you appreciate fine watchmaking and have the cash then buying one would be a good investment that you could enjoy owning. The ad campaign is a bit annoying though.

A way for people lacking in confidence in anything except their bank accounts to state their presence, and allow people who think that is important to recognise them.

A lot of them like the calatrava would at a glance be no different to any other dress watch costing a lot less, to me they suggest a lot more ‘confidence’ than wearing a gaudy mimic watch like a Nixon / diesel / Boss wrist bauble that’s worth bobbins but is pretending to be bling.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A lot of them like the calatrava would at a glance be no different to any other dress watch costing a lot less, to me they suggest a lot more ‘confidence’ than wearing a gaudy mimic watch like a Nixon / diesel / Boss wrist bauble that’s worth bobbins but is pretending to be bling.

I think they both have the same thing in common; a lack of any taste.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think they both have the same thing in common; a lack of any taste

But with telling the time you have so much choice, a £9.99 taliban Casio, a $250k wrist bauble, asking somebody the time, or your mobile phone.
    There’s bound be something out there to suit your taste/budget/sensibilities, that said whatever that choice is, it’s likely to offend somebody 🙄

robowns
    Free Member

I love the hate on here, its a luxury watch, its expensive. Other expensive items are available for purchase, or not, if you prefer.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Times must be hard if they need to advertise on a website where 20 quid for a rear mech is a real decision

http://www.rwsmithwatches.com/bespoke-series/

I hazard a kidney wouldn’t get you on the wait list.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

robowns – Member
    I love the hate on here, its a luxury watch, its expensive. Other expensive items are available for purchase, or not, if you prefer.

Don’t you think the money could be better spent on something else? Like starving refugees?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d imagine any watch enthusiasts reading this thread might be laughing at the prospect of spending £300 on a seatpost or £1000 on a pair of bike wheels…

Both of which would be worth bugger all in 5 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 239 total)

The topic ‘You never actually own one’ is closed to new replies.