• This topic has 238 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 239 total)
  • You never actually own one
  • mefty
    Free Member

Like starving refugees?

They are too big for my wrist.

doris5000

If you appreciate fine watchmaking and have the cash then buying one would be a good investment that you could enjoy owning. The ad campaign is a bit annoying though.

yeah it was the ads i was talking about when i said ‘any old crap’. they appear to be aimed at complete mugs. i’m sure the watches are as good as any others.

although personally if i had infinite budget for a watch i’d struggle to find a posh new one that i liked. i would take something like this over a patek philippe anyday, any day, any day http://www.matthewbaininc.com/watch-details/378

MrSmith
    Free Member

£1000 on a pair of bike wheels

Don’t you think the money could be better spent on something else? Like starving refugees

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robowns
    Free Member

Don’t you think the money could be better spent on something else? Like starving refugees?

No, i’d be annoyed if a starving refugee had a nicer watch than me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

H.G. Wells — ‘Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.’

So spend money on a bike; it’s worth it.

I’ve never heard anyone say anything close to similar about a **** with a fancy watch

somafunk

That’s possibly the most crass attempt at a humorous post I have seen on STW.

Well done, you have just reinforced my distaste for your personality

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Apologies

I do have an awful personality BTW

bencooper
    Free Member

I think it’s wonderful that there are companies about who make such astounding bits of engineering. And I think it’s wonderful that there are very wealthy people with zero taste who keep buying them to keep the companies going 😀

noltae
    Free Member

More of a ulysses nadine djengis khan type of a guy if I’m honest ..

v8ninety

I find it distasteful that you find someone making a sound point with acerbic humour more distasteful than the fact that people can justify spending 50k on a **** wristwatch when that money could be spent on something a LOT more benificial to society, to mankind, to the world. This sort of extravagant expenditure is pretty much indicative of what’s wrong with the human race, in my mind.

But; oh well, horses for courses.

Well done, you have just reinforced my distaste for your morality.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

How do you know that the people likely to be able to afford a PP aren’t also philanthropists who give a higher percentage of their income to charity than you do? See, we can all make generalisations.. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yet you all watch top gear and get a hard on when they thrash some bling round the track. 🙄
    Oh wait it’s technology benefitting all mankind and the planet. My mistake, I do apologise.

dannybgoode

I own three reasonable watches although I didn’t actually buy any of them. 1 was an 18 birthday present and I inherited 2.

The inherited ones i wear and remember my dad by and the 18 present I also enjoy wearing and will pass down to babybgoode when he’s old enough.

None are truly daft money, most valuable is probably the Baume Mercier c. £3k but it is a beautiful piece of engineering. The workmanship that goes into a handmade high end watch is astonishing. They’re not just knocked up overnight.

Can’t say I’ll be passing my £8 casio down to him or that I’d wear a g shock passed down to me in memory of my dad.

I fully get watches but doubt I could ever afford / justify huge sums of money on one. Would love a Breguet though and I think there are two types of expensive watch owners. Yes there are those who like to make a statement as to just how wealthy they are but then those who happen to like watches and can either a) afford them or b) acquire them as gifts etc.

Now a Louis Vitton handbag. That’s obscene profiteering…

wilburt
    Free Member

But a £6000 bike will be marginally better than a £1000 bike and much netter than £100 BSO, however a £20 Lorus is a better timekeeper than a £50,000 Patek.

loddrik
    Free Member

That misses the point completely.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know a guy who makes a good living out of trading in high end wrist watches. I’m assuming he know all about this brand, I know he’s traded stuff far in excess of anything mentioned in this thread. I was talking to him about it once and asked if he wore one. “Err no” was the reply. “I wear a Casio G shock because I can do this with it” ….he takes it of and bangs it on the desk……

mogrim

But why would you spends upwards of 50gbp on a G-Shock when you can get a Decathlon watch for less than 15? Fools and their money etc.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Do we believe that most people who buy them think about the history and workmanship?

Or do most think that the watches will act as a badge of membership of an elite international club?

Wonder who the ads are aimed at?

Back in the day, there perhaps used to be a genuine point in having a decent Rolex. Those days have gone. The meaning of these watches has changed.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do we believe that most people who buy them think about the history and workmanship?

Of course!

v8ninety

But why would you spends upwards of 50gbp on a G-Shock when you can get a Decathlon watch for less than 15? Fools and their money etc.

it’s an order of magnitude thing though, isn’t it. Some of the figures bandied about on this thread are frankly obscene. It’s being said that the watches are ‘investments’, which basically means that it’s an ostentatious way to visibly park a large amount of cash on the wrist for all to see. If someone has enough money to do that, then they have too much money. Simple as that. As a by the by, the bizarre upshot of this situation is that if you’re rich, even your bloody wrist watch earns you money for doing **** all, whilst the poorest workers in society slave away their entire life for the same effect. Society is truly screwed; the global game of monopoly has entered its final stage and it’s only a matter of time before the poorest players upturn the board with a hearty ‘**** this shit!’. There will be blood.

davedodd
    Free Member

The quoted prices must be wrong, I’ve seen loads of them available in Bangkok for around £20 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh i thought the title of this thread was a revelation about cars rented on pcp ……

fd3chris
    Free Member

Well when the revolution comes as none of us would be seen with rubbish bombers anymore we will all be using pikes to club with. Not that we are elitist money wasting bike snobs or anything…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve got a wrist bauble and I love it. My money my choice. It’s not a patek though, my status requirements are not that high 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

A few of the buy-to-let brigade on here could afford one, probably a better return too. 😆

LeeW

I save what’s left of my disposable income (after I’ve donated to various orphanariums and hedgehog sanctuaries) and spend it on what ever I fancy. I, like most people on here work hard for my money and I’ll do what ever I want with it. Currently saving for an AP Royal Oak.

For me, high end watches are a celebration of engineering, just find one that fits your style.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s a dissapointing view LeeW, don’t you walk around in a tshirt in even the depths of winter to show off your wrist status. That’s totally wrong according to most of the above, shame on you!

onandon
    Free Member

People can spend their money on whatever they choose. I don’t see the problem in that at all.
    If you’re “in to” something, watches, bikes, cars, cameras etc it’s easy to justify an extravagant purchase, just don’t expect anyone else to understand.
    Ultimately, why should you give a shit anyway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

But it would appear those who don’t have a wrist bauble on here give a shit more than those that do. I also have a hottub but I can’t wear that on my wrist which is a shame.

onandon
    Free Member

As Spike Milligan said.

“Money can’t buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.”

wallop

Pass me the salt for all these chips! 😆

Fantombiker

There’s a lot of talk if engineering miracles in these watches as if there is a team of Swiss geniuses sat around a workbench. I read recently that a lot of the high end brand watches use the same movement bought in from a third party. If its so good why do they advertise?

wrecker
    Free Member

I read recently that a lot of the high end brand watches use the same movement bought in from a third party. If its so good why do they advertise?

I don’t think so. High end will have in-house movements.
    It’s like the rolex/tudor thing. They are made to similar standards (by Rolex) but the Tudors have 3rd party movements, hence being cheaper. I’d be surprised to see a truly high end watch with an ETA movement. Whether the in-house movements are any better, well that’s a different conversation.

kwack
    Free Member

I won’t take a picture of me driving my 100k Overfinch to the park to ride my 8k Bronson along the canal path whilst reading the time on my 20k Rolex

Hahah

dannybgoode

Some do. Omega, Breitling and Tag (I think) have been bought by Swatch and whilst they used to be excellent are now overpriced mass engineered shit.

Rolex, Breguet, Baume Mercies and a host of others still make their own very high quality, bespoke movements.

Like anything Beats Headphones, Apple etc. Some overcharge for what you’re buying but some watches are genuine works of art. Have a look at the work that goes in to a Breguet watch face…

wrecker
    Free Member

Omega, Breitling and Tag

Are these still regarded as “high end”?

ross980
    Free Member
    LeeW

Isn’t Tag owned by LVMH?

wrightyson – Member

That’s a dissapointing view LeeW, don’t you walk around in a tshirt in even the depths of winter to show off your wrist status. That’s totally wrong according to most of the above, shame on you!

I’m invariably in short sleeves in the “depths of winter” as it rarely drops below 25degC here.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So is the fact that swatch now own omega that my watch is over a grand dearer than it was 5 years ago?

dannybgoode

Eugh, that’s Breguet off my wishlist…

That said I suppose Rolls Royce is just BMW and they are exquisite watches…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 239 total)

The topic ‘You never actually own one’ is closed to new replies.