Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yoga and Pilates
  • carbon337
    Free Member

My road club held its first winter group turbo and yoga session tonight. We were all new to yoga but it was great.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially after doing an hour on a turbo. Does anyone else do any yoga? Recommend me a book to read that I can follow at home.

jimmy

I do pilates, would always recommend it. And to anyone scoffing at it being for girls – try it!

carbon337
    Free Member

We had about 15 blokes and 2 women. The instructor was a bit weird though. What’s all this personal journey stuff about? Fancy doing a bit at home just not sure where to start though.

sweepy
    Free Member

do yoga with me

Shedloads of classes here, and not much of the claptrap

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I’ve been doing yoga classes once or twice a week for the past 6 months, and really feel the benefits. Like Jimmy says, it can be quite hard work. Can’t help with videos I’m afraid but personally as a beginner I’d prefer classes with a good teacher who checks and corrects your postures so you know you’re getting the most benefit. A lot of gyms do classes.

lodge
    Free Member

Yes I have been doing Yoga a few years now and love it, makes you realise just how stiff and inflexible you get with everyday life and how bad your breathing can be, I do it at home now most days.

geebus
    Free Member

Oddly enough, went to my first yoga class yesterday, straight after a spinning class.

Seemed ok. Been meaning to go to Yoga for ages to see if it helped my dodgy back, but had to pay extra in previous gym.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I do pilates, would always recommend it. And to anyone scoffing at it being for girls – try it!

+1

Excellent for core strength and clearing up niggling back pain.

I stopped for a while and the aches and pains came home to roost. Now started BMF instead which hurts in a whole other way….

ScottChegg
    Free Member

AA Gill said western folk using Yoga for fitness is like a hindu using cross-carrying to work out.

The stretching is great; all the spiritual claptrap can be left out for me.

carbon337
    Free Member

The spiritual journey stuff was a bit weird. She actually said to me “as our bodies get to know each other on this journey we will connect” I was aroused.

jimmy

we will connect

i’ve got a chubby.

My Pilates teacher… she must be early 50’s but has a body most 30 year olds would envy. In addition to this, she’s an ‘arty’ photographer and she seems to be her own nude subject. Bosh!

Diane
    Free Member

I love my yoga class – especially after riding, really seems to help. Would love to do Pilates but there’s no decent class nearby anymore.

BigJohn

I love Pilates, I don’t want to do yoga because of all the relaxation and spiritual guff, and I would never do it outside of a class because the fine corrections you get from a good teacher are essential. The last millimetre is more important than the first metre.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Try PowerYoga if you aren’t into the ClapTrap (I’m not)
    **** me its a workout especially once you get to an intermediate level and not trying to work out the poses etc. Then you can also do ‘Hot Yoga’, nearly died from sweating!

For guys its really good and hard. We have shit posture and flexibility. Aches and pains have definitely diminished and I have more energy. I also stopped going to the gym to lift weights. Seems pointless 😉

davidpro
    Free Member

Thanks for the referral to doyogawithme.com, sweepy. We greatly appreciate it.

We presently have over 40 online yoga classes, six of which are specifically for athletes and many others that would be great for cyclists. Best of all it’s totally free, and as you said, there’s very little claptrap!

Cheers,

David

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this Really good, cycling specific, and spiritual claptrap free 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m thinking of trying pilates over the winter to sort out some back issues before the sportive season kicks off again. MrsKenny suggested yoga, but I’ve always been put off by the “spiritual journey” stuff that I associate with it. That’s probably just my ignorance though.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Reformer Pilates. Excellent for firing up muscles that don’t used, resulting in better muscular balance all round. Having an excellent teacher and a small class of 3 really helps.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Just to throw another idea into the pot, how about Tai Chi? Anyone else tried that?

carbon337
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this Really good, cycling specific, and spiritual claptrap free

None in stock though 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yoga and Pilates’ is closed to new replies.