Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XTR M970 crank removal without…
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

… the right tool.

Possible?

Loath to spend the £35 on something that is SO specific, and frankly rather overpriced for what it is.

Looks like a bearing puller ought to work, if there’s sufficient room to get the prongs in between the crank and BB.

Or there’s the “batter it with a universal persuader” option, but I’d rather not do that…

What bodges have you come up with?

Cheers,

Jon

nonk
    Free Member

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/33713/Shimano_Left_Hand_Crank_Removal_Tool_TLFC35

get the tool it’s so easy to use and your just going to mash something doing it the other way.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So you’re happy to pay a fair wack for a top of the range crank, but would rather rask damaging crank for the sake of £24??? 😯
    Have a word with yourself. 🙄

chojin
    Free Member

I need one of those – Do they make one for right handed people?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Borrow one. Every other M970 crank owner in the world has one 😉

Where are you based?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Cranks were bought second hand – no way am I spending over £300 on cranks. I’m pretty on for having “the right tool for the job” (I have LOTS of tools), but in this case the cost of the tool seems to be based on having a captive audience and ramping the price up accordingly, rather than what it’s worth. £15 or £20 new would be a fair price – it’s not substantially different to a cassette tool after all.

Rather than just bending over and accepting getting bummed by Shimano (again), I figured I’d see what else other people do when faced with the same problem.

The Winstanley option is where I’ll be going if there isn’t a better way to do it.

messiah
    Free Member

I asked in the classifieds a few weeks back and picked one up for less than £24. Lovely cranks BTW, and mine were at a bargain price too :mrgreen:

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Calm down dear, I wasn’t criticizing, I was offering. Its not like you have to remove them that often is it?

alcolepone
    Free Member

exact same issue. grrrr

any joy?

oreetmon
    Free Member

might be way out here as i would never pay that much for a crank BUT the new style shimano QRs fit my slx lock ring perfect and have come in usefull for a ‘trail fixy’ more than once.

OOPS, just looked at the link, i WAS way out,,,,, worth a mention though (lockring/QR/trail fixy)

ive had a beer or 2 😀

Dougal
    Free Member

it’s not substantially different to a cassette tool after all

Have a go at using a cassette tool then. Remember to let us know how you get on.

alcolepone
    Free Member

anyone else feel like being useful?

: /

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XTR M970 crank removal without…’ is closed to new replies.