Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XT 775 Rear hub – servicing help please
  • iainc

I have one of the newish style 775 rear hubs (the one with the loose bearings in the drive side and the bearing race on the other, and the allen bolt hole where you would expect to use a cone spanner……

so I had no problems servicing the older traditional cup and cone ones, but last time I tried this one I got stuck and ended up taking it to the LBS to get them to tension up the cones and get the play out.

so now I need to service it tomorrow night as it has a bit of play, so will strip, regrease etc.

any tips on the rebuild procedure to get the cones set right on this version ? Don’t want defeated again by a hub !

iainc

anyone ?

tomlevell

Just like any other Shimano hub but you need a cone spanner and a 5mm allen key instead of 2 spanners. Check the Shimano tech documents for cone spanner size. I think I had to buy a new one.

Freehub bolt is 14mm too.

Although my bolt is ever so slightly different than the one I’m trying to get to replace it.

Current one on left which has lost some metal on top of the chamfered bit. Not listed as a spare and you end up with the right hand one.

The one on the left doesn’t appear to exist as a spare! by tomlevell, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

tom – thanks for that. I have the spanners and allen keys. I am thinking this time I will mount the big allen key in a vice and drop the drive side onto that to keep it all still while I tension the cones.

It’s weird as I have done countless older hubs, but when I tried to do this one earlier in the year I just could not get the cones set up…

lesoxdh
    Free Member

its a 17mm cone spanner. when i had a concern with my rear hub, my friend at the local LBS had to order a new hub for parts.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    iainc

many thanks for the info

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XT 775 Rear hub – servicing help please’ is closed to new replies.