Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XC forks on a budget
  • jmahon
    Free Member

I’m trying for a budget-ish XC build, I have cobbled together everything I need apart from forks.

The frame is an on-one 456, so 100mm or more travel needed really, the only forks I have are a pair of old 80mm RST Gilas, which are good for nothing really!

I was wondering whether it would be better to go for a new pair of budget forks, or go for a used pair. My budget is around £200, but I could probably stretch to £250 or so.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Joe

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s two options, either a secondhand set of Rebas (and budget for a service) or a set of budget Rockshox or Marzocchis.

For a 456, a set of Pikes would be spot on.

jmahon
    Free Member

What sort of prices for which forks should I be looking at? I feel a bit overwhelmed!

Sorry for the noob-ish questions!

Cheers!

z1ppy

Less than £100 (well around £50) for old Marz MX’s (do not buy MZ’s) or Rockshox Tora’s (£50-120)
    Reba £140 upwards, dependant on condition, age and spec last time I looked (which was a while ago admittedly).

Take a look at the completed listing on ebay and search through the classified section for Reba/Tora/MX’s & see what they’ve been advertised for (and see if they’ve sold at that or kept getting advertised)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pikes can be had from £150. For a 456, I’d recommend them as an all round fork.

Condition can vary, but in general they’re very reliable forks and if you’re canny enough to go for the U-Turn versions, you’ve an awful lot of versatility to play with.

jmahon
    Free Member

Thanks guys, think I’ll start looking for a pair of used Pikes. Seems like best bang for my buck! Now to play the waiting game and see if any come up!

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve some reba’s that might suit very good nic.

nick1962
    Free Member
    shindiggy
    Free Member

Pikes only come in a bolt thru guise. so if you only have 9mm QR hubs you’ll have to factor in the cost of a new hub/wheel build or a conversion kit if necessary.

willyboy
    Free Member

You could try Rockshox Recon Gold RLs. They are available for £190 -200 new. Aletrnatively you can get Rebas for about £250-270.

My Rockshox recon SLs are over 2 years old and still going strong. They’ve managed lots of XC stuff including Trans Cambrian, Kielder 100 etc.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Good Tora options here, they had Solo Air 130mm a few weeks back for £119!
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/index.html?action=search

cullen-bay
    Free Member

1st hand decent rebas?
    you’re welcome

i’ve seen loads of great 1st hand forks on the net for around £250

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Got to jump on the Reba bayndwagon; great fork. Light, stiff, function brilliantly, very adjustable, well made and very easy to service. An AK-47 of a fork!

Around £150 gets you a pair in great condition, too. I got a pair recently that were so good I din’t even consider them ‘second haynd’.

MartynS

got some pikes going for £220 posted.
    Black 454 u-turn motion control jobbies 210mm steerer (approx)

will do you loads of pics if you’re keen

Mail in profile if you want

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XC forks on a budget’ is closed to new replies.