Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • X-fusion HiLo or KS i7?
  • nicholas_yiu

Anyone had experience of using either?

I have a RS Reverb on my FS. I like it so much that I now want to get one for my HT.

I also think I need to spend some of the money I get for working bank holiday on my bike.

However, my HT takes 27.2mm seatpost and I have a limited choice. After using the Reverb, I just don’t think the finite adjustment on a GD is good enough. Therefore, my choice is down to either X-Fusion HiLo or the KS i7.

The HiLo works out to be about £40 cheaper as you have to buy the remote separately with the i7. However, I can source the i7 in the UK but have to get the HiLo from Germany so there is not much between them.

Anyone have experience with both?

Simon

I had the same dilemma as you. After careful consideration I bought a Gravity Dropper Multi Turbo. 5 months later I’m still very happy with it.
    I quite like the fixed positions.

nicholas_yiu

So how many level of adjustment does the GD Multi Turbo has? It does seem to be the least risky option.

I really don’t like the idea of buying a HiLo from Germany as I wouldn’t know what to do with warranty if/when it goes wrong.

I have a brand new remote for the i7for sale if you choose to go that route.

tandemwarriors

Bought my HiLo from Wiggle at new year. A bit of bedding in and playing with the air pressure to begin with and it’s been perfect ever since. The remote cable is a bit naff and gets sticky very easily, a decent teflon gear cable makes it much better.
    Best bit of kit I’ve bought in years.

nicholas_yiu

That’s interesting, if it’s cheap enough, it might just swing it for me. Please email in profile.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Lost a Joplin when I went to a 27.2 and apprehensively got a GD multi thinking I’d miss infinite adjustment. In fact the 1″ drop is pretty much where I ran the joplin a lot and I have lost none of the benefit. Fully up for climbs and flats, 1″ down for techy, pumpy, rolly, twisty, fully down for gnarr. The most reliable 27.2 and with great support if something does go wrong.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol didnt you see my thread….im discussing the same limited problem at the mo…and im too wondering why the reverb hasnt been made in size 27.2….. :roll:…..
    another thing is if you buy one of these seatposts lets say from wiggle as the above poster has….. what if it breaks/major probs etc…. were do you stand….. thats why id rather get my seatpost from a bike shop then at least they can sort problems out when they arise…
    hmmm… iwas also looking at the ks i7…..untill nicholas said you have to buy the remote seperate…..doh….heck….
    crickey Reverb needs to get their act together and start making 27.2 size 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

doh… the ks i7 is another 50 quid or so for the remote kit……
    its not looking good for us 27.2 riders into getting a remote dropper seatpost…at a decent price… lol..its actualy becoming annoying now….shud i drop aline to the reverb people and ask nicely for a 27.2… everyone wants one … its becoming a war of attrittion.. 🙄 im sure ive spelt that wrong .. 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

just checked ebay to see if there’s any x fusion Hilo dropper seatposts, and there is, but only available in the bigger sizes…. ie 30.9 and 31.6 sizes …still no 27.2 😥 and theres another advert for the Hilo dropper where the seller is selling a remote kit for the Hilo for 30 quid….. so this makes me wonder wether the hilo is just lever option only….
    boohooo im stuggling…option available now is just the ‘gravity dropper’ i didnt really want that as i think it looks ugly lol

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

27.2 available at freeborn according to their website. That’s where I got mine from. Came with remote and lever.

NormalMan

What about either of the ones in this thread? Forca Vario or Traildrop

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forca-vario-dropper-seatpost-gravity-dropper-clone-272

nicholas_yiu

HiLo also available in Wiggle at a despatch within 2-7 days. Still not sure if I want to go for the i7 or HiLo.

I did think about the Forca Vario but it’s one of those up or down ones with no intermediate adjustment.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’ve been running a hilo for just over a year-absolutely fine, no probs at all.

Mate has an i7 too and that’s been trouble free too, so either are good IMO.

Got my Hilo from Germany and used a Joplin remote from ebay and made the bit to fit the remote to the post from some aluminium bar-works a treat.

Reson why RS don’t make a 27.2 reverb is same as most others-the wall thickness for the upper stanchion would be too thick to allow for the required oil volume.

Hilo uses a stell upper to avoid this and the i7 uses a remote reservoir under the saddle in order to us an alu upper.

A

nicholas_yiu

Sorry, what is a stell upper?

steezysix
    Free Member

Steel – it’s the reason the Hilo is a bit heavier than other posts. All Hilos come with the remote kit and lever so the ones being sold are probably just from people that prefer the under-seat lever. Not used the KS post but I’ve had a 27.2 Hilo about 18 months now and would defintely recommend it, especially as there’s now a 5″ version.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

X-fusion also do a layback version of the hilo…

[/url]
    IMG_2654

IMG_2657

That was my second one after ride 4 (first one failed…seized…ride 3).88 kg 6’1″ riding XC hardtail before you ask….. Had seemed very good up until the fail(s)….not quite in the league of the mkIII reverb I’d had for 6 months prior until I switched frames and became a 27.2-er, but did what it said on the tin. Wiggle were excellent with a warranty replacement after the first, and a refund after the 2nd once Wiggle sent back to X-fusion. Poor response from X-fusion itself….no reply to initial emails explaining fails and querying rider weight recommendations for the engineering tolerances…sent to both UK and US contact emails…finally a reply on resend several weeks on when I questioned the existence of any customer service! No followup response to request for info once post sent back. Did I just get a rare dud (x2)?. They couldn’t be bothered to tell me so no further custom from me.

Alex

HiLo here for just over a year. It’s been absolutely fine even after bi-weekly outings in the cruddiest of winters. Bit of lateral play. but you don’t feel it on the bike.

nicholas_yiu

That’s a spectacular failure! Luckily, my Reverb is still OK after a few off.

To be honest, I expect these seat posts will fail at some point but not quite like that.

I think I am going to go for the HiLo as I like the idea of the upper being steel. Having a remote reservoir is just too fancy and something else to break/hurt me in a crash.

I think I will try ordering it off Wiggle because of their well known good customer service. Freeborn is a bit of an unknown to me.

ska-49
    Free Member

My hilo has been great. Had it since Christmas and has seen a fair bit of abuse, mud and crashes. Ive also had a spesh commander and GD classic. Hilo is my favourite though. Infinitely adjustable and has been solid.

steezysix
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dismiss buying from Freeborn – I’ve used them a couple of times and they’ve been excellent, plus they’re an actual physical shop so probably easier to deal with if you have any issues.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I have the hilo on both my bikes with no problems..27.2 on my 456 seen a heliver lot of mud and rain throughout the winter and its still running fine,purchased from freeborn btw,just bought another for my stumpjumper…

JoeG
    Free Member

I believe that the KindShock Lev is also available in 27.2; at least in the 100mm drop. I can’t hit the KindShock website right now, though.

I’m sure that the Lev internals are very similar to their other posts, and the remote lever is exactly the same. The Lev has fixed cable routing just above the seatpost clamp; a big advantage IMO over their other posts.

I just got a Lev last week, and there is a thread on them here Lev Thread So far, I’m real happy with it.

DickBarton

Another shop that has them is Flying Fox bikes – http://www.flyingfoxbikes.com – I was having a play with one yesterday and it seemed very nice. The Hilo…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘X-fusion HiLo or KS i7?’ is closed to new replies.