Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • x fusion hilo dropper post longterm review?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anybody got one and used it for a decent length of time? Looking at getting one with the lever on the post, any thoughts reviews etc appreicated can get one quite cheap, but if they are a load of hassle to maintain and fall to bits I’ll not bother

Really appreciate any feedback before I take the plunge

Cheers!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Can’t give you a long term review but here is my Service article 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/x-fusion-hilo-service.htm

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers foxy how is yours treating you any breakage during ownership? Is it still super smooth and little play? Any info or little thoughts on it appreciated

Cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scud
    Free Member

Only thing i would say is too look at the ones with a remote instead of lever underneath.

I have had Joplin seatposts with both remote and lever under saddle and I find that with the remote being next to the grip you can use it instantaneously as the trail ahead changes. If you have just come over the crest of a steep up, straight into a steep drop, the last thing you want to be doing is taking one hand of the bars and ferreting aroun d between your legs (unless you enjoy it)!

Just a personal opinion but i feel it is worth the extra cable for this. Had a few near crashes whilst messing around at the top of a slope standing up with one hand on bars and the other trying to set the saddle an inch lower.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hmmm was thinking about a lever one instead save clutter on bars, I will mostly be riding places I know and can always slow down a little first if need to lower, not too bothered about a remote in that respect….

Have you had any issues with yours and If so how was warranty and whom with?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Lever one here (although have the remote too). Several months and mine has been ace. No slop whatsoever.

Got an innertube condom on mine which I squirt a bit of fork juice into every so often.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@OW – not used it loads this winter as been mostly on road and HT but there were a few score lines on the upper to start with but no new ones – doesn’t seem to affect the function though.

After fettling the squeak is much better and I routinely clean it in between rides and put a tiny bit of fork oil around the seal – all seems fine – the only thing I could do it to replace the remote with something a bit more heavy duty considering I always seem to OTB every other ride 😉

There was a bit of rotational play to start with and developed a little for and aft play but after servicing the latter was removed 🙂

NormalMan

I was about to buy one (still want to) in the Merlin sale buit they sold out before I pulled the trigger.

Only negative feedback I heard was one or two had an issue getting seat clamp tight enough and others mentioned the need to top it up with a few more psi out of the box in order to get it to return to full height.

Everything else was really positive (still wish they were cheaper though! 🙄 ) hence why I still want one. I also want to use the lever not the bar clutter remote 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Good stuff sounds pretty promising the reports, for 135 quid ish can’t be bad! 7 months use and no problem is what I’m after! Heard they come with no instructions from Germany is there any online? Also can anyone confirm the warranty with the German ones and how long etc and who It’s with in the UK?

Thanks again guys almost convinced me now

NormalMan

Where did you see it at that price? Linky please?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think like other 27.2 seat posts there is less to grip therefore need to be tighter and therefore deform the out tube and thus a slower return hence higher psi?

Alex

Useful link, ta for that. Mine’s been fitted since May and averaging two rides a week. I’ve “condom’d” it up like the above Pic and every week or so drop some fork oil around the seal.

I’ll give it a proper service if it starts playing up but so far no problem at all. Really happy with it.

I don’t have the remote lever so can’t comment on that.

SandCrab

Morning!

Does anyone have an update on how these have held up? I’m looking at the limited 27.2 options and it seems to be this or the GD – this “summer” should have been an ideal test for either!

Cheers

Chris

scruff
    Free Member

Mine was just getting worse play and the lever was wobbling way to much aswell, sold it for £50.

theotherjonv

bookmarked for reference this evening.

adamclark66
    Free Member

Hi,

I was going to buy one this morning, but I have just read some reviews saying that the return speed is slow; is this the case? Merlin seem to be doing 10% off today (not sure if its just today), £161.95 posted.

Cheers,

kiwifiz
    Free Member

My two HiLo’s failed within 4 rides each (one seized, one bent, home made boot used for both). Reverb on different frame no probs 6 months prior. Cheap trail drop no probs since for past 6 months including back to back Marin/Penmachno last weekend.

soobalias
    Free Member

i had one (27.2) for a few months earlier this year, worked faultlessly and the return speed was fine

i tried it with the under saddle lever which makes it a glorified qr. attaching the cable/remote was a revelation, all of a sudden dropper posts for trail riding make sense. For DH/FR/jumping there is little point, for XC equally not much point, however for trail centre riding weekend warriors who need the saddle out of the way when it gets steep – perfect. Only got rid of mine as it didnt fit my new frame, got a new dropper post to fit, rather than shim the old one.

clubber
    Free Member

kiwifiz – Member
    My two HiLo’s failed within 4 rides each (one seized, one bent

The post bent? Which bit?

cookeaa

Lever only version here too and I would also strongly recommend opting for the bar mounted lever too, a flick of your thumb is always going to be less faff that a last second “Crotch grab” trust me 😉

I also briefly had an inner tube condom fitted but decided it was a crap solution as it just held shite close to the seal and got cut up on full compression.

I’d had mine almost 2 years before any issues developed in my case it was a bit of slow height loss at full extension with some oil weeping around the seal. I followed This guide cleaned out the seal and all the internal parts, re filled it with 5Wt and it’s been sweet for the last six months…

Its worth noting thought that I have several bikes and while it does gets used year round on my HT (probably averages out to ~20 miles a week), it’s sees more dry conditions/summer use while the SS takes the strain in mud and rain, So my Hilo has probably not had the harshest existence possible…

kiwifiz
    Free Member
    fathomer

I’ve been seriously considering a Hilo but can’t make my mind up weather to wait for a ks lev? Decisions decisions!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘x fusion hilo dropper post longterm review?’ is closed to new replies.