Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • WTF.. £3k on a 2nd hand Orange 5
  • wwaswas

It is light enough to do cross country (XC) in the UK

It’s 37lb 😯

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

I love that he values his 2008 Totems at £800. A new set you could grab or £400.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jerome
    Free Member

It must be that HIGH spec

joao3v16
    Free Member

I spotted this on fleabay the other day too. Couldn’t believe the price. Optimistic to say the least!

If you add up the individual part prices he’s listed it comes to about £3600, and these valuations are also pretty optimistic, so asking for £3k for the lot is way wide of the mark.

The frame is at least 5 years old as it still has the straight top tube. If I recall correctly Orange introduced a kinked tube for the 2007 model (I had one of these that I sold last year for £500).

Scamper
    Free Member

Why list everything at RRP. Recently for example his Easton bars could be had off CRC for circa £35 or something.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

5/6 year old Five with Totems. LOL.

This is Heavy for an XC bike but light for a DH/FR

No, its hugely overbuilt and far too heavy to be wanting to lug around a XC route and yet it’ll be nowhere near strong enough for DH/FR.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

You know as soon as someone starts telling you the RRPs of individual parts that it’s over priced nonsense. That aside, I’d be more concerned about whether Orange designed that frame for 180mm monster forks?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Well, he has ridden it down the canal like that. So must be fine.

xiphon
    Free Member
    joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned about whether Orange designed that frame for 180mm monster forks?

They definitely didn’t

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Buttscratcher – Member
    I love that he values his 2008 Totems at £800. A new set you could grab or £400.

I’ve just googled that and the cheapest I could find the latest version of the ‘RockShox Totem 2-Step Air’ was over a grand.

http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-parts/suspension-forks/mtb-forks-over-140mm/224959.html?_cid=1_3_2_2111_2131_2283_224959_&c=18#mtb-forks-over-140mm-rockshox-totem-2-step-air-whitegold

Where can you get this same fork for £400?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

eBay

Woody
    Free Member

It Truly is priceless to me but i have listed the cost of each component for your info

[quote]I will not let this bike go cheaply as i love it like a child !![/quote]

It was built as a winter project FFS and now he needs the money. At that price I think he will be keeping it for some time!

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Buttscratcher – Member
    eBay

Found it but that’s also ‘used’ and from Taiwan.

So I’ll ask you again. where is this ‘new set’ for £400?

T666DOM

£80 for stouts?? He needs to shop around
    CRC STout

stevede
    Free Member

Totems on a five = snapped headtube. Apart from that small discrepancy it sounds like a bargain 😆

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Man in bike-related lack of perspective shocker.

billysugger
    Free Member

Are 5’s banned from the canal bank?

Are they only allowed on black runs?

I’m going to tell Vaughan Evans next time I see him riding home on there.

Come on haters, wise up.

highclimber
    Free Member

Same seller…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/836136/

what a coincidence: The price is exactly the same figures as his phone number!

Some people are just deluded. there was a thread on here about a ‘Yeti’ on ebay that was actually a DMR dirt bike being sold for silly money!

atlaz
    Free Member

The specification of the bike is very VERY high, much higher than buying a new one ! If you know about bikes you know the below is high spec even for a bike as high quality as an Orange.

I’d be more inclined to think that he’s high, not the spec.

brooess
    Free Member

That bike certainly has never been ridden on proper trails with those forks. I have that age of Five frame (2004), it’s rated for 150mm max.
    Looks a bit dodge to me – seller is clearly very poorly informed about mountain biking and kit. To say the least!

Gary_C

seller is clearly very poorly informed about mountain biking and kit. To say the least!

Must be an stw regular then!

Come on, own up, who is it!!

😆

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hora?

anto164
    Free Member

It’s an orange 5, therefopre that price is super cheap!

Everyone knows Orange 5s are THE best bikes around 😆

mboy
    Free Member

Man in bike-related lack of perspective shocker.

Yeah, I feel sorry for him to be fair cos he’s obviously genuine, and not like a lot of scrotes on ebay he hasn’t just stolen someone else’s pride and joy.

One piece of advice to him (if he sees this which I doubt he will), FFS sell the bike in pieces! Most of the parts individually are worth good money, but as a whole bike that thing is worth naff all as it’s such a mish mash.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Makes you wonder about some people. The seller clearly has no idea what he is on with. The bike is an inappropriate build and is worth about 1k in my opinion.

He needs to remove his eBay listing to stop any further embarrassment.

Oh and to say you love the bike like a child is a little sad.

coogan
    Free Member

Totems a big no-no on that bike. Snaparama just one small hill away. I’ve never been a fan of 5’s, but jeez-o, he’s got that looking so bloody ugly. And to finish off… 3-frikin-grand?!?! 😯

highclimber
    Free Member

Yeah, I feel sorry for him to be fair cos he’s obviously genuine, and not like a lot of scrotes on ebay he hasn’t just stolen someone else’s pride and joy.

or…hes a scrote that’s a little bit cleverer than your average scrote but then that begs the question: who would build such a monstrosity?

Shandy
    Free Member

I wonder would he take 2800? Maybe I’ll PM him.

5lab

not sure why everyone thinks totums will snap a 5. Granted they are 20mm longer than yer average 6″ fork, but that’s only a few % increase in leverage (taken against the overall length of the fork + wheel)

highclimber
    Free Member

it won’t necessarily snap it in the first instance but it will reduce the life of the frame through the increase (albeit small) in stress.

momo

5lab – Member

not sure why everyone thinks totums will snap a 5. Granted they are 20mm longer than yer average 6″ fork, but that’s only a few % increase in leverage (taken against the overall length of the fork + wheel)

That age of 5 was designed around a 130mm fork iirc, a 180 totem is almost 3″ longer than most 130 forks. I certainly wouldn’t ride that.

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve had a Set of Totems, big heavy forks. Last place I’d put them was a 130mm frame!

devs
    Free Member

Swingarm looks cracked where it is bolted to frame. Or scratched but certainly not unblemished!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m thinking of selling my Toyota Avensis T Spirit Tourer, on the basis of the RRP of the parts it will start looking like this:

Wheels and Tyres RRP £1000
    Engine RRP £6500
    Replacement drivers mirror, heated and adjustable £470
    blah blah blah
    I love it like a child
    I need to get a life
    I need to put myself in the eyes of a prospective buyer
    I need to be realistic about the price

Adding up the sum of my parts I will pitch the price of my car at a very realistic £127,456 but will post it for £25.

Paypal only please 😆

daznal
    Free Member

What colour is the Avensis?Might have a buyer

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Geordiemick00 do you take bank transfer via an escrow service? I am currently based in Nigeria and would be very interested in your auction 😀

That five is a picture, i always wonder if the seller has ridden the bike much offroad given the fork/headtube issue or if they have just built it up from spare bits and stuck it on ebay in the hopes of finding someone silly enough to buy it.

carlosg
    Free Member

Swingarm looks cracked where it is bolted to frame

this is exactly the place a mates ‘5’ snapped when he ran forks that were too long!

shotsaway
    Free Member

“If you know about bikes you know the below is high spec even for a bike as high quality as an Orange.” – As anybody who knows about bikes wouldn’t pay £3K, I’m guessing that he is hoping a naive person will buy the bike.

“Manitou 4 way coil (£250)” – Although he paid £56 on ebay
    “MRP Mini Me chain device – £90” – Again from ebay and he paid £50
    “full red jagwire outer on the gear cable – £30” – ebay again and £11.99

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘WTF.. £3k on a 2nd hand Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.