Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Would you endeavour to survive a nuclear attack?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I know this is a question that you cannot truly answer but what are your first thoughts?

I think I would get outside and embrace the heat and wind and vapourise toute de suite. I couldn’t be doing with the aftermath.

Does this mean I’m a glass half empty” giver upperer?

DS

Drac

Yeah I would so I can go out and shoot giant cockroaches and super mutants.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i have 3 schools of thought:

1) the world will need to benefit from my superior intelligence and problem solving skills when the human race starts to rebuild itself

2) running outside and facing the blast would be an incredible experience, facing your own certain death head on

3) i’d still be stuck inside waiting for the OH to be ready despite me giving her several updates as to the time.

z1ppy

Nope, if you aren’t blinded by the inital blast, the idea of raditation sickness doesn’t sound appealing.
    Assuming it’s WW3 and not a terroist attack , surely this little isle would be blasted from the face of the planet?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes! The world is a huge place and there would be plenty of places that were completely unaffected, where I could start a new life.

retro83
    Free Member

3) i’d still be stuck inside waiting for the OH to be ready despite me giving her several updates as to the time.

😆

“I AM READY (…I’ve just got to put some shoes on)”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the last of the v8 interceptors is in my lockup awaiting the arrival of madmaxworld

woody2000

Yeah, I reckon you’d need to be pretty close to the blast to die with any speed. The thought of festering whilst I die slowly doesn’t appeal. I’d need to be on my toes to avoid the zombies ‘n sh*t that would inevitably appear 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    Nope, if you aren’t blinded by the inital blast, the idea of raditation sickness doesn’t sound appealing.
    Assuming it’s WW3 and not a terroist attack , surely this little isle would be blasted from the face of the planet?

It does make you wonder how badly blasted the UK would be doesn’t it?

I know that there have been quite a few treaties to limit nuclear weapons over the years, but they still have loads.

Would the UK be hit tactically by a couple hundred warheads or would be just be wiped out completely?

To answer the OP’s question though, I would say no and if the SHTF then I am going to hang around one of the armed forces bases in this country.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I would use my awesomeness to survive and take over the World.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d almost certainly want to survive it as its the key part to my new business venture.

Over the last six or seven years I’ve been collecting all of my cigarette butts in sealed plastic bags. Ive also done early morning raids on those little fag bins outside the pubs in town, and collected those ones aswell. I’ve got quite a stockpile now.

My thinking is that after a nuclear war, theres bound to be a few people wanting a cigarette. But all of the shops/factories will have closed down or have been blown to bits. And thats where I make my millions – selling my bags of cigarette butts. And I’ll charge whatever I like aswell

thomthumb
    Free Member

as much as i would like to imagine myself in the role of the handsome hard one who will save the day on a number of occasions, get the hot girl and eventually head off into the sunset to restart the human race. I am much more likely to fall into the role of the amicable, geeky one who will save the day on through intelligence and rationality rather than brawn and eventually not get the girl…..

given that i may just go for a ride.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Yes! The world is a huge place and there would be plenty of places that were completely unaffected, where I could start a new life.

How would you get there?

Drac

Getting there might be a tad tricky though.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Would the UK be hit tactically by a couple hundred warheads or would be just be wiped out completely?

It depends on the weapons used. In 1961 the Russians detonated the so-called Tsar Bomba; a 50 megaton hydrogen bomb 1400 times more powerful than the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It wouldn’t take too many of those to tipex us off the atlas!

tron
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone ever bothered with getting things to the “VAPOURISE EVERYTHING!!!!” stage.

Major cities, military bases and industrial areas would be hit, on the basis that the country’s effectively put out of action by that point. Everyone else can die slowly.

Very pragmatic, these military planners 😐 . Same reason they use 5.56 calibre these days – the older calibres would go straight through people on a fairly regular basis, often killing outright. 5.56 tends to bounce around in the torso, so you end up with more badly injured casualties. Casualties are a good thing, as you’ve then got 2 more men tending to the casualty, plus even more men operating and providing logistics for a field hospital, or he has to be ignored and that saps morale.

There was an interesting documentary with Robert McNamara on a few years back. He was an expert at the appliance of science to killing – he was on about how Japanese houses are made of wood, and his plans to use incendiary bombs wiped out more than the atomic bombs did…

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Agreed!

A few of those bad boys would see us off easily.

magowen100
    Free Member

Never thought about the OP’s question but I did see this; http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/14/science/20100914_atom.html
    Amazing pictures!

ski
    Free Member

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a nuclear bomb goes off in your city?

http://www.carloslabs.com/projects/200712B/GroundZero.html

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a nuclear bomb goes off in your city?

Only worse. 🙁

Cougar

“I AM READY (…I’ve just got to put some shoes on)”

Then the shoes don’t match the outfit (in some inperceptible manner), necessitating a complete change of outfit.

I think I’d take my chances rather than go for the ‘owned by a bomber'(*) approach. If the radiation sickness gets too much, I could always top myself in a creative manner at a later date. If it isn’t, hey, I’m not dead.

(* – see what I did there? Oh, please yourselves)

noteeth
    Free Member
    missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I managed to watch threads when I was a kid, scared me shitless at the time – probably still would now!

noteeth
    Free Member

probably still would now!

Aye, it does!

nickc

Threads is f**king disturbing IIRC. would I try to survive? depends on what’s been dropped, and where really. Lots of Tactical Nukes are pretty small, and the likelihood of surviving (unless you live near a target) are pretty good. The Nuclear winter would be **** hard work though. Me and Stoner had this discussion once, I think we both concluded it would be the mental rather than the physical challenges that would do for most people.

anjs
    Free Member

Used to take a little comfort for the fact living near Greenham Common and Aldermastion that it would be over very quickly.

j_me
    Free Member

Would my iPad still work ?

noteeth
    Free Member

I think we both concluded it would be the mental rather than the physical challenges that would do for most people.

But Stoner loves a good mental challenge! I bet he’s already quantified the likely outcomes in Excel.

His new barn is probably blastproof and ready for the unstable tactical environment of the 21st century. 😀

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member
    RealMan
    Free Member

Try and survive obviously, wait for the radiation to pass, then its looting time. I’m gonna get me one of those scott scale 899s and a ferrari.

jon1973
    Free Member

The world is a huge place and there would be plenty of places that were completely unaffected, where I could start a new life.

You should read ‘On the Beach’ by Nevil Shute.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Ach, probably just see what happens, I suppose.

If it was forewarned I’d try and get my daughter up to the highland getaway house, and make an effort. If her mum insisted that she stay with her, and head down to Manchester where she’s from, then maybe just go up there myself.

If it was a sudden attack…I’d go with my opening statement. Can’t see much fun in that though.

I hope that no-one on this earth ever has to find out for real!

MrFart
    Free Member

Isn’t alcohol used to stop radiation sickness? Sun tanned AND drunk – bit like a holiday really.

davidrussell
    Free Member

i would, although if you’ve read (preferably) or watched “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy then its not such a clear-cut decision.

D0NK

survive and go on a major league trail poaching session

there’d still be some bugger 5mins from a car park moaning about bikes ruining the countryside tho 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

The Road” by Cormac McCarthy

Read the book, very good! The film less so.

davidrussell
    Free Member

on second thoughts, I might hire a skiff or raid Argos for a lilo and make for Islay:

davidrussell
    Free Member

bagsie Ardbeg or Laphroaig, will trade bottles with Caol Ila though.

Spongebob
    Free Member

How would you get there?

Tricky, but by sailing boat. Would need food and water. Canned food wouldn’t be a lot of fun, but would get me out of the danger zone. The issue would be finding uncontaminated water and avoiding excessive radiation from fallout. Seawatermakers wouldn’t be a lot of use until you were way outside the fallout zone. It would be scary and difficult, but i’d take my chances.

A waterproof solar powered gieger counter would be handy! 😆

nickc

and avoiding excessive radiation from fallout

How are you going to do that?

Your other problems would of course be: the total destruction of any crop growing capability, so no fresh food, no sunlight in all probability, so most of the planets animal and plant life dying off. No fresh water supplies, danger from other survivors…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Would you endeavour to survive a nuclear attack?’ is closed to new replies.