Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

So has anyone registered for the STW Hebden Bridge event tomorrow (13th Oct), knowing they cannot attend, simply to be in the draw to win the Specialized fatbike? 😆

Win A Free Specialized Fatboy Fatbike!

babble
    Free Member

so, assuming I am going to live in/near the Alps and I will have an 11-42 rear cassette, should I go for a 28 or 30 tooth front? (I’m 80kgs and reasonably fit, but beginning to enter the world of being considered middle aged…)

zippykona

28. I have a 30 and rarely need a higher top gear.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

26T to be safe. 😉

zippykona

There’s no point having all that grip if you can’t exploit a fatty’s climbing abilities.

babble
    Free Member

There’s no point having all that grip if you can’t exploit a fatty’s climbing abilities.

indeed – i plan to do some multi-day trips too, so i imagine carrying a tent etc might require a low gear… (i can keep the 22/36 plate that comes with the bike of course…)

thanks everyone!

Northwind

Oval is really nice on a fatbike ime- I’m never sure if it’s really doing anything worthwhile performance wise but seated in a low gear can feel very blobby, it just feels nicer without that. So I have IIRC a 28T oval but I don’t ride up alps with it

Mugboo

I’m now the proud owner of a Calibre Dune.

Not the biggest deal but what colour schemes have people gone for rim strip wise? Colour coded or colour clash?

And once more for the stoopid, if I buy an Aeffect 100/170 crank, exactly which ring do I need to buy if I want to flip it?

Also, I’ve been following this thread from the start and have yet to read about a broken one, has anybody managed it?

slimjim78
    Free Member
    Northwind

Colour coded here- yellow PVC tape, it doesn’t quite have the pop of the frame but it’s not far off.

Mugboo – Member

Also, I’ve been following this thread from the start and have yet to read about a broken one, has anybody managed it?

I’ve upped the stakes by drilling a hole in the seattube for a Reverb, on mine. Lets see what happens 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

You’ve beaten me to it, seriously tempted to drill my frame for my Thomson. Only thing holding me back is that I really like my Spesh remote lever I’m running with my KS (not compatible with Thomson)

Mugboo

Thanks folks, it’s a toss up between hi viz silver or red..

burko73

couple of dunes in southampton go outdoors on display by the door for less than £500 IIRC from last weekend.

slimjim78
    Free Member

it’s a toss up between hi viz silver or red..

Red should be suitably gopping

MikeG

Has anyone fitted minion fbf and fbr tyres to a dune?

I thought I’d seen something about them earlier in the thread but can’t find it now, I’m sure the front will fit fine and I think northwind is running a 4.8 JJ at the rear so it should be ok but I don’t really want to spend that much and possibly have trouble returning one if theres no clearance once fitted.

zippykona

The 4.0 minions will be here in January.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Northwind rates the FBF but not the FBR.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I havent tried them but am keen to give them a go at some point. I think they’d fit ok – if you have trouble returning in sure you could sell privately for near as damn it as they arent the easiest to get hold off IIRC

MikeG

Cheers 🙂

I may as well give them a try, I’ll report back once they’re here.

Northwind

4.8 FBR is a wee bit smaller than the 4.8 JJ, fits really well with my x1. I like it tbh, it’s faster and not as grippy as I was expecting but still good- it just seems to lack a little toothiness compared to the FBF.

I’d like to try the FBF on the rear too but I’m not paying for another one 😆 Waiting to see how it copes with proper winter.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’m seriously thinking about one for the front as i have a Lou coming for the rear.
    I did ask the question previously

highlandman
    Free Member

Northwind-
    FBF is great in mud but oddly, not as good up front as a Floater in snow, in my limited experience.
    I had one ride on a new FBF up the Sidlaws this past April and was surprised at its lack of stability straight ahead in the new, fairly wet snow. I’d expected those big teeth to work as well as they do in peaty mud. If we do get a proper winter, I’ll probably swap back to the Floater for a few months, which I’ve always found copes ok in the same situation.

zippykona

I’ve probably asked before but how are they in the slideways department? I.e do they wash out entering mud patches at speed?

emac65
    Free Member

Got the Dune, very impressed with it(apart from the short seatpost), but what does everyone take for a pump with them out on the trails? After adding some stans to the tubes I used a car foot pump in the garage as the track pump was taking ages….. Am I going to have to start wearing a Camelbak again to fit my foot pump in ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A 45g CO2 cartridge.

emac65
    Free Member

A 45g CO2 cartridge

Looking at the price of them, I’ll probably just carry a few 16g ones 8)

MikeG

Is there enough gas in a 16g cartridge to pop the beads?

I just carry a topeak frame pump and spare tube, takes a long long time to get to 8psi though 😆

Northwind

Cheers for that highlandman, I didn’t get to ride it much in snow last year so looking forward to it 8) Love snow…

oink1
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience of running a wider tyre up front?? Good? Bad?

Northwind

How wide? I run 4.8s (JJ or Minion), so far they’re better for everything I do, but there might be other stuff they’re worse at.

beefheart
    Free Member

Vee rubber 4″ tyres are now £11.69 on CRC.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vee-rubber-vee8-fat-bike-tyre/rp-prod149538

slimjim78
    Free Member

Mainly crap reviews on those unfortunately. I avoided them a while back as a result

Mugboo

I found a use for the seatpost, it worked beautifully over my ratchet to undo the bb to remove the front mech 8)

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Got the rear hub apart, not much grease in them bearings

Mugboo

First go on my Dune today, it’s been upgraded with SLX brakes, reverb, bar/stem and 1×10 & Floaters.
    It rides like a bike but with rigid forks. It needs a 30t chainring at the very least and tubeless once my 3M stuff arrived. Overall I liked it, hopefully I’ll love it once it’s fully sorted.

slimjim78
    Free Member

What 3M stuff did you go for? I’m waiting for some ‘backer rods’ to arrive and I’ve read about 3M ‘ tanelised strapping tape ‘ (its blue) being pretty much the same stuff as Stans tubeless tape but available in 45mm widths. Can’t seem to find it anywhere in the U.K. though.

cozz
    Free Member

ordered 4 of them V rubber tyres !

thanks, hadn’t seen them

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Four Vee8s? 😯

I appreciate the price of ~£12 each is nice for fat tyres, but they aren’t that light and they apparently self steer unless you inflate them to ~30+ PSI (which is fine for tarmac commuting like I do, albeit much more rolling resistance than JJs, but not so good off-road when low pressure is fatbikes’ big advantage).

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews/veerubber-vee-8-2016

Inflating them up to 50 PSI sounds insane, it’s hard enough work pumping JJs to ~30! 😆

But I guess they could be useful sacrificial lambs and they will strengthen your legs a bit more. 😉

Mugboo

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131428818378

Slimjim – ordered this in red as the rim strip. I’ll then be going with gorilla tape and backer rods.
    Although my mate managed with just gorilla tape on the standard Dune rims with Floaters using the airline at the tyre place next to his shop.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah 4

2 for my mate, and I’ve got 3 fat bikes !

i’ll use them in summer, and you haven’t had self steer, till you have ridden endo’s !!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.