Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Holyzeus
    Free Member

My 4.8 Surly Lou has arrived, hope it fits, its massive.
    Just need to find a front tyre now

whitestone
    Free Member

My 4.8 Surly Lou has arrived, hope it fits, its massive.
    Just need to find a front tyre now

Sur(e)ly the Bud? Thought they were meant to work together.

Northwind

Should fit, the Bud does and I think Lou is slightly smaller on the knobs.

It’s actually pretty cool IMO, the Surly carcass is pretty stretchy so as you inflate the tyre it grows much more than most- so with my Bud in the rear of the Dune, it was fine for riding and had clearance to spare, but when I pumped it up higher (20psi I think) to bead it up, it grew so much that it jammed in the frame.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Would love a Bud but cant find a 4.8. Managed via MTBR to find a US shop having a sale but delivery worked
    out at $183!! Emailed them Sunday and still haven’t had a reply
    I’ll give it a couple more weeks but i’m thinking 4.8 FBF

slimjim78
    Free Member

NW – what’s the best all round F&R combo you’ve hit upon so far?

I’m waiting for all my tubeless gubbins to arrive and am thinking of prepping the bike for winder (snow!!) and the muddy trails that will soon be overdue – so want to try going wider up front, – and possibly out back – but don’t want to be getting jammed up. Would like to keep the weight down if poss too

Northwind

TBH mate it’s too subjective, and I’ve just not used enough tyres to really say… But I like the Minions, they’re great trailbike tyres. The FBR could be grippier but it’s still good. I used an FBF/JJ4.8 all summer and now on FBF/FBR.

I think I’ve posted this elsewhere in the thread but, the Buds were actually grippier than the Minions. But I didn’t like the feel. Minions have less grip- or more exactly, the carcass rebounds faster so they don’t glom onto the ground as nicely- but a much livelier ride and a lot more feedback- Bud grips harder but is hard to trust because I just didn’t really know what it was doing, when it was going to grip or slide… I’d rather have the consistency and transparency.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

^ Sounds like FBF up front then!

Northwind

Oh, FBF is also a wee bit smaller

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Than a Lou mate?

Northwind

Aye. It’s like 4.5 or something, bit cheeky

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Mmmmm, not much alternative though
    Lou on the front, FBR on the rear…

slimjim78
    Free Member

How does the FBR measure up? If coming in around 4.5 I guess it’s a good fit on the Dune?

Northwind

Much the same. So yeah, nice fit in the dune, bit more clearance. I can do some pics if you like, that’s what’s in it now.

(The Bud was fairly tight in the back but because it didn’t really scoop up mud, it worked fine)

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Heads up guys!
    Westbrook cycles have Buds at a brilliant price, i’ve just ordered one.
    Believe there is only 1 or 2 left!

whitestone
    Free Member

Anyone got recommendations for snow tyres? Currently have Husker Dus.

Like the look of the Flow & Dunder beists but at £140 each 😯 they might be a little too expensive for limited use. The other option might be Maxxis Mammoths.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Westbrook cycles have Buds at a brilliant price

That is a good price. Although im leaning towards FBF/FBR based on feedback on this thread..

Anyone know which compound FBF/R is best for running tubeless? (lighter weight is what im looking for)

Also, NW, did you run 4.8’s on the standard Dune rims before you switched? How did they fair?

Northwind

They were spot on tbh, they’re 80mm rims so they’re fine with wide tyres. Heavy but decent (it’s been mentioned a few times in the thread but the Dune rims are the same as the On One Emmenthal wheelset and seem to be the same basic estrusion as the Halo Tundra, just with different cutouts)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What was the amazing Bud price at Westbrook? Lower than 75 squids I saw earlier, I hope! 😆

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I got one

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I got one

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I got one

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I got one

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I got one

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Dunno Wtf is going on there, i had a long post with pictures and it will only show part of the first line

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Clearance with Lou

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Lou next to original

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Slight catch on cover plug, plug removed

Pretty sure NW had this?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Nice pics. Yeah NW had same issue. When I first saw that bridge bolt I figured the same would happen.

scotroutes

In any snow and ice that’s just going to jam up.

whitestone – Member
    Anyone got recommendations for snow tyres?

I hate to say this but it depends on the snow 🙂

I’m pretty happy with Nates but a knobbly tyre isn’t always best as you’ll get additional rolling resistance cutting through a crust rather than rolling over the top of it. Have a look at an Endomondo to see what an alternative snow-specific tread pattern could be.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Luckily don’t get much snow in the south..

thv3
    Free Member

Anyone changed the bearings in the front hub?
    Can’t see how to get the end caps off?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

From memory you should be able to see the join, you need to get a thin screwdriver or similar in there and lever them apart working around the circumference

thv3
    Free Member

Holyzeus – Cheers, that’s cracked it

thv3
    Free Member

Double post

Northwind

What pressure’s that at? That’s way less clearance than I had with the Bud but they’re growthy tyres so at higher pressures it jammed solid, at riding pressures it was fine.

dovebiker

What tyres for snow? Depends on conditions – I had Dillinger 5s at this year’s Rovaniemi 150 and still ended up walking for nearly 100km as it was knee-deep in places 8O. Just got a Snowshoe 2XL (biggest tyre currently available) to play with to check clearances – plan will be to run them with 100mm for maximum float and grip. If riding groomed trails in sub-zero conditions, most tyres work OK

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Thats at 9psi NW

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

So how much were those Buds selling for a few days back?

Have those Vee8s turned up and if so, how do they ride at 30+ PSI?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Nobody, £74.99. Free postage, ordered Friday and being delivered Monday

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thanks Holyzeus, call me Scottish, but hell will freeze over before I agree to spend £75 on a single tyre (not that I’m convinced a Bud would fit my Wazoo with either the default fork or the Fatty Carbon one). My pair of JJs cost £5 more than that in the Easter Ebay 20% promo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM