Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 203 total)
  • Would you buy a Carrera?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I am very seriously considering this:
    Banshee XXX

Looks superb spec and a similar suspension design to my old Coiler.

Or I could support my LBS and spend an extra £300 for a lower spec big brand bike 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup. In fact I did do. A Subway One.

I rode a Banshee the other night actually. Forks were a bit crap (Not looked after) but the bike itself was great.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I note that the description on their site says it's suitable for extreme trail riding. I only do Xtreme so it wouldn't work for me I'm afraid.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Frankenstein
    Free Member

Probably buy the Tour bike for a beginner road user but £200 more gets a spesh allez etc.

They are cheap, they feel cheap but you pay cheap so its not a bad deal, just don't expect it to be top end.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In fact, it was that EXACT model I rode. You won't beat it for the money, not even close.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That does look rather good. 🙂

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Or I could support my LBS and spend an extra £300 for a lower spec big brand bike

If you mean Giant/Spesh/Trek, your £300 would also get a suspension system that wasn't an out of date compromise 10 years ago, geometry that works, a warrenty worth more than just the paper it's writen on, and an actual resale value as an entire bike, rather than just the parts.

But you pay your money, you take your choice.

rOcKeTdOg

if it had porsche infront of it yea 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Frankenstein, check the spec on that Banshee, go on, have a look.

Elixier R brakes, decent forks and shock, Mavic rims, branded finishing kit, X7 & X9 drivetrain, ex BB crankset, and it's a true 4-bar into the bargain.
    The closest you'll get is a new Pitch Pro at £1600.

binners

I've had a Carrera full suss. It was great. And the spec is way higher than equivalent brands. I Bought it second hand, rode it for years, sold it and its still going strong after some serious abuse.

Some people are snobby about the name on the frame. So what!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

your £300 would also get a suspension system that wasn't an out of date compromise 10 years ago, geometry that works

Ohh, somebody's a bit sore!

I take it you've ridden one, off road?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Looks good but there are no geometry details. you will have to go in with a tape measure and an angle finder.

retro83
    Free Member

get a suspension system that wasn't an out of date compromise 10 years ago

What do you mean?

DezB
    Free Member

Big Brand? Like Apollo?
    That Banshee is one ugly machine (imo, like)!

Did I see you going past Cams golf club yesterday Rich?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks good but there are no geometry details. you will have to go in with a tape measure and an angle finder.

From the quick I had, I can tell you it's not far off my Pitch. Probably a bit higher BB (No bad thing) and a bit shorter, but otherwise a remarkably similar bike.
    I'd say it will be fairly close to Rich's last bike, a Coiler to be fair

soma_rich
    Free Member

Dez not me. I don't work in Gosport any-more. Thankfully 😉

TBH I would like to get a Trek EX5 which is a totally different bike. But the spec on the Banshee is swaying me. I am not concerned about the weight as its lighter than my old Coiler which I could haul up most hills 🙂

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

I retract the out of date suspension system remark. That Carrera is a proper FSR, and as such, it's probably OK.

I've spent some time off road on a Carrera something or another. It looked exactly like a Kona, if that helps. I'm not particularly sore, and I don't mean to be bitchy. I just happen to believe there are much better bikes out there.
    High componentry value is not the same as value for money, if the frame isn't up to the job.

In short, I'd personally rather ride a much lower spec bike that works better. I realise that's unsubstantiated and subjective, so I'm keep my opinions in check.

bigrich

I did. in 1995. it were a gold/black numer, made by Saracen and equipped with Stx-rc. What a beauty, but it was stolen in 1996.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Fancy components hung on a piece of shit frame are still just fancy components hung on a piece of shit frame.

The Pitch is £1600 new because it's frame is not a piece of shit but actually rather good and as capable of handling the alps as bikes that cost two or even three times as much.

geetee1972
    Free Member

oops, was kind of expecting STW to automatically edit out the swear words!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fancy components hung on a _________ frame are still just fancy components hung on a __________ frame.

Again, what do you know about the Carerra frame? What's it made out of? How does it ride?
    Have you ridden a Pitch and a Banshee back to back? Because I have. (I was on my Pitch that ride) And like I said, it's remarkably similar in intent and feel.

And I'll also tell you that you're just another bike-snob!
    🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I cant say I am surprised by the snobs coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Banshee was made in the same Taiwanese factory as Kona/Spesh frames are….

robdob
    Free Member

I like the Pitch, but I also like the Carrera…..

FIGHT!!!!!

sofatester
    Free Member

I cant say I am surprised by the snobs coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Banshee was made in the same Taiwanese factory as Kona/Spesh frames are.

Your probably not far of the reality there.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Get a barclaycard breathe and knock off 10%. ie £855

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich, seriously, that Carerra is great for the money. The one I rode hadn't been looked after and the forks felt horrid (I'm not a fan of Zocchis, especially after taking Juan's apart the other day…) but apart from that it rode very nicely, and looked built to last and take a hammering. I couldn't tell looking at them, but I've got a suspicion it might even have cartridge bearing hubs too.

It's not light, but those tyres and rims are hefty as hell (321s are very heavy, but silly strong) and I guess the forks are too

sssimon
    Free Member

Again, what do you know about the Carerra frame? What's it made out of? How does it ride?

it's steep, high bb, short top tube for it's size. it's flexy at the back, the pivots are crap and fall apart, it's heavy as sin and the paint is soft. it either blows through it's travel or doesn't move on small bumps

how do I know? because a mate got one for his son and it's been a disaster (his work did ctw through halfords so he made a great saving but 3 months on he's regretting having even looked at it)

thebunk

The frame may be (slightly) heavier, and the paintwork may not be as good, but Halfords seem to have someone that understands that a frame with the right geometry and a stiff front end makes for a pretty good bike. Whack a good spec on top of that, no wonder the rest of the industry is moaning about them.

I wonder then, if the main MTB manufacturers couldn't rely so heavily on our brand snobbery, would they try a bit harder on value?

On the other hand, they can't spell "gnarliest" correctly, so I'd take my money elsewhere…try a Boardman!

mamadirt
    Free Member

I'd say go for it but like I_Ache says, check the geometry.

I bought one of these for riding to and from work (budget or what! 😉 ), with the intention of fitting decent cranks and better forks. It was fine on the road (weighed a ton but that didn't bother me) but even with the stock 155mm cranks, taking the 'scenic route' home with that set-up was nigh on impossible as the bottom bracket height was super-low and I was getting pedal strikes every time the suspension bottomed out (to be fair though I realise that's not what a bike in that price range was designed for). It was a cracking little frame though despite the heavy steel rear end – maybe with longer forks it would've done the job. I'm sure they'll have done their homework on the more expensive models. The forks should be fine – if not then they'll be covered under warranty so Windwave will sort them out. I've had a couple of pairs of Marz 55s and they've been super-plush. The first pair I bought from USA so when the rebound damper stopped working (a common problem with 55Rs) it cost me £45 for a replacement as no warranty. The second pair I bought from Merlin UK and they were faultless.

Have a look at winstanleysbikes.co.uk though. They have some pretty good offers on older Konas at the mo'.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I'm not sure about the

Burly Marzocchie 55 ATA Suspension forks

Never heard of Marzocchie

geetee1972
    Free Member

Peter – I think you make excellent points and I whole heartedly agree with them in principle. I was merely saying that good components on a poor frame do not make the frame better. I obviously have no experience of riding the Career but my perception of them right now is that it's likely to be crap.

poppa
    Free Member

it's steep

66.5 degrees doesn't seem unduly steep? Anyway, BikeRadar liked it, FWIW:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/banshee-xxx-08-32168

4.5/5

rootes1

on the subject of Carrera if anyone was looking for a hack bike for commuting / going to pub then these look ace value:

http://tinyurl.com/36h3qsv

£239 in 18 and 20" frames

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Take money out of the equation: Would anyone choose a Carrera over an identically specced Giant, Spesh, or Trek for exactly the same money?

No.

So, basically, all Carrera have going for them is a cheap purchase price. When I buy a bike (or camera/computer/washing machine/car/life partner/etc), I like to look a bit further than just the money.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Not to be confused with Carrera – proppa ones like

poppa
    Free Member

I obviously have no experience of riding the Career but my perception of them right now is that it's likely to be crap.

lollerskates

Frankenstein
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Frankenstein, check the spec on that Banshee, go on, have a look.

Elixier R brakes, decent forks and shock, Mavic rims, branded finishing kit, X7 & X9 drivetrain, ex BB crankset, and it's a true 4-bar into the bargain.
    The closest you'll get is a new Pitch Pro at £1600.

It is a good spec and if you don't mind some upgrades
    to certain parts that fall apart, it will still be still
    cheaper than £1600. I'd still get a pitch pro just for the
    warranty and be able to sell it on easily and bike snob factor.
    I personally wouldn't mind a mate buying one and would not
    look down on the user or bike myself.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it's steep, high bb, short top tube for it's size.

Roughly what I said above from my experience. Which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. What is the head angle anyway? I'd like to know….

it's flexy at the back,

I never felt that with 15.5st of me on it!

the pivots are crap and fall apart,

The one I rode was fine, and it had been neglected a bit. That can happen to any bike as well, and is probably the reason the one you rode felt flexy!

it's heavy as sin

As I've already said, the rims are 200g+ (pair) heavier than my Pitch OE rims, the tryes are big heavy ones (Which suit the nature of the bike) and those forks will not be light either. But it'll be tough, which is the kind of bike it is. It's NOT an XC bike remember!

and the paint is soft.

OK. I'll take that at the price

it either blows through it's travel or doesn't move on small bumps

Set-up or service issue. The RS shock is fine. Could be those worn pivots on yours again!

And remember, (Wild guess) teenagers aren't renoun for looking after their bikes either……

And MOST IMPORTANTLY remember it NOT AN XC BIKE!!!!!!! Lots of people bought Pitches than sold them when they realised they were heavy, lenghty old beasts and a handfull in tight singletrack and a bitch to get uphill

5lab

i've just got one of these, it's at home, so if you've got any questions, ask away.

its not that steep (not measured it) – the 17" frame is actually an 18" frame. it pedals well, and is a proper fsr frame.

the crappy one may have been a banshee x rather than a xxx – this has a monarch 3.1 shock so no reason why it'd blow its travel any more than any other similar frame, and enduros seem to do ok

eta : frame weight is 8.3lbs with shock and headset, the frame of mine is in the classifieds, and sold (I believe) – i got it on C2W as a doner bike for a hardtail

Carrera Frame 2010-07-22 028

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Take money out of the equation: Would anyone choose a Carrera over an identically specced Giant, Spesh, or Trek for exactly the same money?

No.

But that's a non-starter isn't it? The fact remain's it nearly half the price of it's nearest competitor!

And to be fair, in your ideal world, if it rode better, yes I would becasue I'm not a bike snob! 🙂

So, basically, all Carrera have going for them is a cheap purchase price. When I buy a bike (or camera/computer/washing machine/car/life partner/etc), I like to look a bit further than just the money.

No. They have a beter spec too. And lots of dealers. When I buy a bike, the first thing I look at is how much I have to spend, becasue I don't have money to chuck about anymore. I've already downgraded form a Yeti 575 to my Pitch. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 203 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a Carrera?’ is closed to new replies.