Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Would this ever happen in the UK?
  • MrSparkle

Indoor mtb park. I know they’ve been around in the States for yonks but could one ‘work’ over here?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKcNx44Oo8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKcNx44Oo8[/video]

i doubt it

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i think this is one of the coolest things ever and i wish it were over here 🙁 Preferably at the end of my road and with a nice job opening going.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I don’t think it looks that good TBH

ocrider

I dont know about that, the pump track would be fun.
    On a skateboard.

druidh
    Free Member

Indoor MTB – an oxymoron

trout
    Free Member

what and pay to go hurt your self when I can do it for free anywhere

paul78
    Free Member

Wasn’t there one in Sheffield ?? Indoor dirt track

IanMunro
    Free Member

Looks like my personal version of hell, but each to their own 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Fairly cool. It wouldn’t be a major leap to go from a standard indoor BMX/Skate park to get to that, space permitting. The biggest indoor skatepark I’ve been to in the UK is half the size of that one in the video.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The bike park under the Interstate in Seattle looks like an excellent use of what might otherwise be wasted land…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sfPuRyASw[/video]

Stainypants

Trail centres are bad enough. How can it have a cross-country course surely it would be a cross warehouse course.

What next a out of water swimming centre, so you don’t get wet.

EDIT, the underpass park although not my thing looks cool

yunki
    Free Member

I was gonna complain about the downfall of society.. television.. games consoles and now this..

but if it gets kids riding bikes then I guess that it can’t be completely evil..

the only way you would get me to use it.. (other than my kids wishing it) ..is by dragging my bloody corpse over the threshold and rolling it down the track..

TheBrick
    Free Member

Looks like a skate-park with some logs thrown in. I think it would be more enjoyable to ride a BMX in a skatepark, of which there are a fair few.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Commercial property is too expensive in this country.

epicyclo

Adventure for the Nintendo Ninja generation…

TheBrick
    Free Member

speckledbob – Member
    Commercial property is too expensive in this country.

I agree.

Indoor skate parks where around in the UK during the dark days of skate and BMX, but they were built for the love of the sport and I think they didn’t expect to make money, several of them now don’t really make money. In contrast I don’t think there is the need or reason to build a MTB park over here for “the love” as there are loads of places to ride, wet or dry. For MTB it has to be a commercial operation.

taxi25
    Free Member

With milwaukees winter weather.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Milwaukee

I’d prefer to ride there than not atall.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I’d prefer to ride there than not atall.<

Really? I’d sooner take up another sport.

Looks s.h.1.t

jedi

fun on a stick on a bmx!

SamB
    Free Member

I’d love something like that – if there was one in the London area I’d be there all through the winter.

No, it’s not as good as getting out for a proper ride but when it’s cold and I leave work at half 5 in the dark in December, I don’t always want to go on a night ride. Being able to ride some jumps in somewhere warm and lit would be right up my street.

Reminds me of an old indoor skate park up near Mold that let MTBs in in the early 2000s. Fantastic fun.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>fun on a stick on a bmx!<

Wouldn’t argue with that admittedly…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Heather Bash – perhaps you don’t like riding as much as some others round here?

TheBrick
    Free Member

there was one in the London area I’d be there all through the winter.

buy a bmy or simlar (24″ wheeled jump bike) and go to palystation bay66, (Alkland road Kensington) or Skaterham in Purley or head out to Kent to Broadstairs or many other indoors skatparks.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I don’t think it would work. Trail centres are about the most artificial people want to get with their riding in my experience. I know not everyone has access to trail centres but I reckon outdoor pump tracks or 4X type tracks would be much more popular in the city and probably a lot cheaper to build. What’s a bit of wind and rain? MTFU.

edhornby

if the weather had been horrid for weeks, it was a short drive from your house, not expensive to get in and you and your mates went once in a blue moon, it’d be ok

problem is that a UK one would be about 15quid or more to get in, thus sucking the fun out of it….

ahwiles
    Free Member

people said this place would never succeed:

it’s bloody ace.

(‘sheffield climbing works’ – indoor bouldering)

_tom_
    Free Member

It would be fun, but as has been said probably more fun on a bmx. Also I’m sure most skateparks allow 26″ bikes anyway.

juiced
    Free Member

looks fun.

juiced
    Free Member

like the seattle one best.

_tom_
    Free Member

Colonnade looks awesome, that’s going on the list for if/when I make it over there!

cbike
    Free Member

Probably

I have a a couple of pals that will only go to organised pay for stuff like this for their entertainment exercise. They don’t like taking too many risks or getting too dirty. This would probably be the only way to get them on a bike or do anything slightly adventurous.

Xscape seems to do well. I can’t abide that sort of thing. Its expensive and full of PEOPLE!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

People thought that indoor skate parks couldn’t work in the UK and then Radlands (RIP) opened.

But, I think the high rents coupled with the even higher insurance costs would put paid to it over here.

handyman
    Free Member

Living as i do here in NJ USA and havent been able to get on my bikes road or mtb due too much snow and Cleveland can get up to 3ft in a couple of days due the lake effect, then there is a market for a place like Rays, certainley better than a hamster trainer

ampthill

Looks like I might learn something there

But an outdoor pump track and $x in each big town is proably the way forward

samuri
    Free Member

if you look at it as an alternative to actual mountain biking then you’re doing it wrong. it’s a big indoor funhouse, but you’re on your bike.

Go to any big indoor skatebpark in Britain (and there’s quite a few), and you’ll find loads of kids (and daft adults who can’t grow up), having a whale of a time doing jumps and hops and stuff. It’s a lot of fun and while it’s not keeping it real or whatever the current anal perception is about riding raw, natural trails is, it’s still messing about on bikes and having a good time.

Woody
    Free Member

I think both of those look great fun.

For all those saying noooooooo, there is also a indoor climbing centre near me like the one awhiles has mentioned which seems very popular. Maybe climbers are just pussies, who can’t take the real outdoors like rugged mtb’ers………yeh right 🙄

As for insurance – if they can do it in the ‘land of the litigator’ I’m sure it can be done here.

Maybe an idea for the girls from The Hub and would also make an excellent skills coaching venue?

ocrider

Go to any big indoor skatebpark in Britain (and there’s quite a few), and you’ll find loads of kids (and daft adults who can’t grow up), having a whale of a time doing jumps and hops and stuff.

Thats the point see.
    To make it a genuinely succesful commercial venture, it has to be accessible to the maximum number of users. They are skateparks and can be used on bikes, skateboards and even fruitbootsinlines
    The northshore and rubbly stuff cant be used with little urethane wheels, so it would be the first option struck off the list of features to install.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Heather Bash – perhaps you don’t like riding as much as some others round here?<

On the contrary – I can ride my bike in the hills for free 😉 Clearly has a place for BMX and in that climate.

TheBrick
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    if you look at it as an alternative to actual mountain biking then you’re doing it wrong. it’s a big indoor funhouse, but you’re on your bike.

Go to any big indoor skatebpark in Britain (and there’s quite a few), and you’ll find loads of kids (and daft adults who can’t grow up), having a whale of a time doing jumps and hops and stuff. It’s a lot of fun and while it’s not keeping it real or whatever the current anal perception is about riding raw, natural trails is, it’s still messing about on bikes and having a good time.

So why not just go to one of the many skateparks? That’s all it is with a couple of logs thrown in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Would this ever happen in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.