Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Worried About The Boy
  • Napalm
    Free Member

Ouch! Kirk Brandon ain't gonna be happy about that – bit of a hatchet job.

bruneep

thought it was shite gave up after 30 mins.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thought it was quite good actually – really got the look & feel right anyway.
    Wasn't aware Kirk Brandon had been shagging him tho!

gab344
    Free Member

Highlight for me had to be Mark Gatiss doing his turn as Malcom Mclaren, just cracked me up 🙂

spacemonkey

thought it was shite gave up after 30 mins.

Didn't even get this far. Couldn't be arsed (NPI).

i do not undestand what this is about? whos kirk and who is he shagging?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Kirk was the lead singer of Theatre Of Hate / Spear Of Destiny; I believe he has also had something to do with Dead Men Walking.

There was a misguided attempt by the far right to associate themselves with SOD (linked to Hitler's alleged fascination with the eponymous lance) after a visit by the band to Auschwitz while on tour in Poland – it did not go down well, IIRC

Don't know about anything else though

scruzer
    Free Member

Was about to put up post but ya beat me too it Napalm. Here goes and putting bikes aside… I follwed TOH and Spear for many years and still catch up with them from time to time. I will fill in some blanks from last night…. George O'Dowed laid claim to having a gay relationship with KB in his autobiography. KB took him to court but lost his case… SOD later made a song called Stone To God (GOD being George O 'Dowed). George intended to call his band Sex Gang Children (he mentioned the name last night) but was beaten too it by Andrew Haywood AKA Andi Sex Gang in 1980…. One of Kirks recent ventures is Dead Men Walking along with Mike Peters (Alarm), Phantom (Stray Cats),Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols). To quote Kirk "I'm not a Nazzi and I'm not gay" The Tube circa '83….

Thought the drama was well done and reasonably accurate, though KB's hair lacked flair (read one or two out of place). Glad to see references to them live and Original Sin…. Any other closet fans on here… Just in case fave TOH songs Rebel Without A Brain and Poppies, fave SOD…this changes with mood…Flying Scotsman,Rainmaker, Land Of Shame, Soldier Soldie. No that's an impossible task.

Kirk is still playing as SOD but has recently had more unrest with the courts(sucessful this time) and illness. Long Live The Past…

Sorry for banging on but TOH and SOD were a massive part of my yoof,
    The Man Who Tuned The Drums

ourkidsam
    Free Member

It got better toward the end but yeah, I was tempted to give up after about 45 minutes

IanMunro
    Free Member

I downloaded some Hazel O'Connor mp3s after watching it.
    I'm not too sure that's the sort of thing I should admit to on a public forum 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I quite liked it – took me back a bit too (although I was only 5-15 years old in the 80s!)

DezB
    Free Member

It was pretty good. I like Mat Horne after hearing him talk about music on the J Ross show. Good bloke.

Interesting info the scruzer – I've still got the Legion 7" they were fondling in the program!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I downloaded some Hazel O'Connor mp3s after watching it.
    I'm not too sure that's the sort of thing I should admit to on a public forum

I recently downloaded 'Will You' – a wonderful track IMO.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent.

Nowt wrong with Hazel O'Connor, very much overlooked artist from the decade, Breaking Glass was a great film as well.

scruzer
    Free Member

Theatre Of Hate – KB front right

Dylan08
    Free Member

anyone for smack?

jasn
    Free Member

Took me back to my youth, any one remember Stan's band The Crazy Pink Revolvers, remember seeing them in the mid to latte 1980's in Flagstones Night Club in Cardiff- still got the album somewhere

terrahawk
    Free Member

I thought it was v. good indeed.

DezB
    Free Member

That's Stan, front left isn't it? His uncle (John Stammers) was my boss in my first job. I think he was quite chuffed to have someone work for him who knew what he was talking about when he said his nephew was the bass player in Theatre of Hate 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

Yeah that's Stan along with B/Row – John-Boy Lennard,either Luke Rendal or Nigel Preston (RIP), the latter I think and Billy Duffy. Intersting storey there DezB.

I am glad bikes came along though to save the day…

Napalm
    Free Member

That's Luke Rendal alright, definitely not Nigel Preston.

I see Kirk a fair bit in Brighton, always has an eye for the ladies – especially bleached blonde ones. The program spent a lot of time on this relationship yet Kirk will continue to deny it out of hand and I wouldn't like to raise it with him. He's not been well and raising his blood pressure would be cruel.

BTW, he's still quiffed but the last time I saw it (at the Specials gig last year) it was grey.

Want another interesting story? Boy George pinched my bum while I was trying on a pair of trousers in Birmingham's Rag market. He was working there and doing a bit at Kahn & Bell too. Him and Martin Degville (Sigue Sigue Sputnik) were quite the tearaways of the Birmingham scene before they moved to London.

Yes, I remember Crazy Pink Revolvers too – think I saw them with Under Two Flags somewhere (Dingwalls?).

Napalm
    Free Member

Just looked again – it could be Nigel Preston afterall. Doh!

DezB
    Free Member

Funny that Napalm – Martin Degville said "Ooh, nice perfume!" to my mate at a gig once! (I think it was the Chili Peppers at Club Foot in about 1986)

ton

thought it was ace…………..the bloke who was steve strange was very good too. 8)

brucethesprucegoose
    Free Member

I watched it and very much enjoyed it, it made me miffed that I wasn't alive in the 80s, it looks fun.

scruzer
    Free Member

SOD are still going and playing tours, though KB has recently in the last couple of years undergone heart surgery. He has recovered I believe. They have Craig Adams ex Sisters Of Mercy (and The Mission)on bass. Their annual fest in Crewe titled West World 1 (WW1) and going onto 8 or 9 now I should imagine have been very good: A full weekend of Kirk and his life tales portrayed in music, chat, film etc. I believe many of the modern bands now do their covers and admit to being influenced by him and his music. His music over the last 2-6 years has been less tuneful I feel and more remeniscent of TOH than late 80's & 90's SOD (certainly gone are the days of All My Love etc, for now…?). Well I think I'm doing KB's PR here so will now leave it to the man himself! Not that he rides bikes but did take up rock climbing to a decent level i heard…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

One of the most interesting threads I've read in ages!

Wasn't into that scene but my dad was a pro bass player for many years so hung around in music circles quite a lot as a nipper.

He still plays in a band who have 50 gigs lined up this year but all pretty low level stuff.

Got quite well known when he was younger though – toured with Thin Lizzy (TL supported his band, Arrival) but mostly did session stuff for some pretty big names. He was good mates with Phil Lynott and a few other well known musos. Lots of his mates got too into drugs though – when I arrived he decided it was time for a "proper" job!

Napalm
    Free Member

Kirk does (or used to) ride a bike infact I met up with him on a Rockinghorse charity ride a few years ago. However, his knees gave up before we got to Ditchling Baecon (saddle way too low I'm afraid – quiff just above the bars!).

TOH / The Pack / SOD Top 5

Westworld
    Original Sin
    Liberator
    Never Take Me Alive
    Legion

DezB – Chilli Peppers at Klub Foot, well played that man. They were probably good back then. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Why oh why did Astbury/Duffy Discard Ray Mondo for Nigel Preston?

DezB
    Free Member

Chilli Peppers at Klub Foot, well played that man. They were probably good back then

Indeed, they were. Supported by one Norman Cook too. Pre-Fatboy, post Housemartins.

No "Nero" in your top 5? 🙂

Napalm
    Free Member

Nero was tempting as was Rainmaker.

Was Norman Cook with BEats International at that point?

BTW – are those forks still serving you well?

DezB
    Free Member

I think it may have been after Beats International as well. He'd just started DJing.
    IIRC Soho were the other support – later of Hippychick fame!

The Vanillas? Of course! They are fantastic, still looking pristine on my Yeti (BIG 😀 ) Forgot that was you!

scruzer
    Free Member

It would be interesting to her what made us make the transition from music to bikes, very rarely do I bother with music these days as the 80's alternative scene satisfied that part of me and now I feel nothing compares. I know I am lucky to be of that age in a way to be part of it. To quote Justin Sullivan from New Model Army:"Most music means little to a great amount of people, New Model Army music means a great amount to a small amount of people". Ive done the NMA thing here before so wont go there now. Other bands of the time for me were SOM,Play Dead, Killing Joke, Death Cult etc and later onto the likes of Salvation… Bikes do for me now what this lot did then: freedom, expression, energy,social occassions etc…

jasn
    Free Member

I got into bikes for some of the same reasons, but also because I saw a courier feature in iD magazine and they looked so cool. That was about 1984 and I couldn't drive and living in Cardiff it was easier to cycle. Then found the joys of off-road riding, never looked back after that.

I still listern to a lot of music and found there are some great alternatives. Went to see Brian Jonestown Massacre last night in Manchester, brilliant, this has the feeling of the 80's alternative scene for me energy and attitude and great music.

scruzer
    Free Member

Yeah jasn bet lots of our age group have similar history. bikes took over in 92 and like you, I have never looked back, (with regret). Have fab memories of gigs, friends, music, record fairs, buying Sounds… It goes on….

Napalm
    Free Member

Play Dead, now you're talking. Cracking live, shame they were never well produced until Company of Justice IMHO.
    I was there at the Tin Can B'ham when the set was halted when a fight outside led to a skin falling through the roof & dying. Bloody Digbeth skinheads.
    Add Balaam & the Angel to your list & pre PWEI band From Eden too.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Jasn,

Finally I'm famous! I was one of the couriers featured in that edition of iD.
    Great days for me. Cool job, cycling and great pay working only 3 days a week.
    Perfect.

scruzer
    Free Member

Now then Napalm, got that gig in my loft on tape. Good quality too but not mixing desk though. Didnt know it was s/heads but they had ahabit of ruining gigs all over the county. Yeah i loked Balaam too especially early on. Rmember them with SOD at the Crytal Palace Bowl clad in yellow licra DODGEY!THere was a pond between stage and crowd! KB did a solo with Dame Vera Lynn! Its funny what you remember. Theres loads of stuff on You tube etc and P/Dead have an un official web site but quite old last time i looked. And Chatshow?

jasn
    Free Member

Sounds Scruzer, that really takes me back . when Gary Bushell was not a fat,opinionated….. no sorry he just didn't have the beard then.

Balaam & the Angel saw them in Nero's Cardiff in about 84 or 5. There was also a band called Into a Circle and Getting the Fear which came out of the remnants of Southern Death Cult at around the sametime, but it all got a bit too Manson and Crawley obssessed for me, at which point I turned to the Black sounds of Washington DC the mighty Trouble Funk (one of Henry Rollins favorite bands), saw them play a non-stop 4 hour set in London, that was incredible

jasn
    Free Member

FeeFoo wow! one of the original inspirations, but what was going on with the day glo tights etc at the time, sadly I had some!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Worried About The Boy’ is closed to new replies.