Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • worming cats without blood loss.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Time to worm the cat again.

Usual procedure grab cat shove tablet in mouth, cat spits it out, lashes out i loose blood,
    repeat until either i need medical attention or the cat gives in.
    Usually the former!!!!

Does anyone know of a effective treatment which won’t involve me having to force feed the cat a tablet?

sweepy
    Free Member

We get spot on stuff from the vet, wait till they’re asleep and dab it on, then cope with the look of betrayal as they realise what you’ve done.
    Its not cheap, but it doesn’t cost you in blood

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks, will speak to vet, cats have NO ISSUE!!!* with being frontlined so i suspect a different spot treatment will be accepted.

*weird cats come to me when i open the frontline packet!!!!

lucien

There’s me thinking the cat might be suffering the blood loss and now I’m way disappointed 😯

mrmo
    Free Member

is this better?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Equip yourself with a cycle helmet and emergency union jack and you’ll be fine dealing with any cat-related problem.

Rio

We gave up on the tablets, tried tablet pockets (not these ones but something similar) which were ok until they worked out how to get the tablet out and spit it out, now we use the stuff you put in their food – which works as long as you use it with smelly food that they like, which is tomato and beef flavour Gourmet Solitaire for our cats.

bruk

Stuff you want is called Profender. Does both round and tapeworm.

Dead easy to use and not that much more than a normal wormer.

Advocate and stronghold only do roundworm ( as well as fleas ) so if your cat hunts then it will need the tapeworm stuff.

lucien

Much mrmo, thank you

mogrim

Crush the tablet and stick it on a bit of food?

mogrim

You could also try sticking all the cat minus its head in a pillow case, not entirely sure if it’ll work but video it and if it doesn’t you can at least post it on here for our amusement.

mrmo
    Free Member

Crush the tablet and stick it on a bit of food?

never had a cat this works for, they have this nac of leaving the pill and eating everything else. how ever crushed up the pill you still get it left?

saleem
    Free Member

We use advocate, really easy to use, then tapeworm treatment every six months.

frogstomp

Whole or half tablet in a cube of cheese.. they wolf it down tablet and all before they realise it and the smell disguises the payload within!

wallop

Grab it by the scruff of the neck, pick it up and hold it in your arms like a baby, turn it’s head upside down, shove the tablet down then clamp its jaw shut so it’s forced to swallow. If that doesn’t work pinch its nostrils so it can’t breathe 😆

mogrim

never had a cat this works for, they have this nac of leaving the pill and eating everything else. how ever crushed up the pill you still get it left?

Crush it to a fine powder, can’t see them leaving that!

wallop’s suggestion would also work, although if it’s an adult cat make sure its weight is supported, don’t just pick it up by the scruff of the neck.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This won’t help you, but I approach our cat with the tablet, offer it to him and then he swallows it whole. No fuss, no mess, no blood.

Our cat’s ace 😀

maccruiskeen

what food are you using? We found cheese a good pill delivery vehicle, crunch up the tablets and roll them up into little cheese balls.

you can also use the hands-free off switch

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9TmmF79Rw0[/video]

sweepy
    Free Member

Thats a stunt cat I reckon, try that with haggis you’ll lose more than the bulldog clip 🙂

Flaperon

My vet gave me a plastic spudger thing that you poke in its mouth and fire the tablet down its gullet.

wallop

A more humane method than a bulldog clip is to lightly wrap a scarf around their ribs. Don’t tighten it – the cat will honestly just flop on the floor. Both of ours do it, it’s especially funny if you’re drunk.

samuri
    Free Member

We’ve always used the ‘grab ’em in the right place’ approach. As per that video above, if you pinch a cat on it’s scruff, it goes limp and compliant. A kitten thing. You know the instant you have it right. You can push a pill right into it’s throat when they’re like that, the stupid buggers.

jamj1974

I successfully use reason and if that doesn’t work a good talking to. Ours then feels too sheepish to resist and just consumes the tablet.

Don’t underestimate the power of lecturing pets!

coffeeking
    Free Member

We never had issues with crushing the tablets to powder and mixing it into their favourite foods/treats. Scruff of the neck never worked with ours, they went mental.

tazzymtb

Take one drinking straw , one tablet and one cat. Put tablet in straw and act like a pygmy hunter with a blow pipe. Ambush cat, place straw in cats mouth….phone vet to make sure worming tablets are safe for human consumption. ..how can a cat blow air back up the straw. ..they have no lips? Wait for vets assistant to stop the hysterical laughter, put phone down and hunt for the cat. Find cat under bed..well a pair of very pissed off looking eyes.reach under bed and discover that I’ve mistakenly left a Bale of razor wire under there. No small fluffy kitten can cause lacerations like that. Have cunning plan! Maybe cats, like unicorns trust innocence. Give tablet to young son (to feed to the cat) son holds hand out with tablet in it. Cat saunters up and eats it then looks at me at sits diwn starts licking his little furry balloon knot keeping eye contact all the time. I think he’s trying to tell me something?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘worming cats without blood loss.’ is closed to new replies.