Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • World cup. It's finally here!!!!
  • binners

I did rather like Charlie Brookers description of football in Mondays Guardian

22 Millionaires ruining a lawn 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Up here in Scotland you would hardly know that the competition is going to start today 🙁

As an Englishman I enjoy living up here in Scotland, most of the time.

When England play I just stay at home 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

ScottyJohn had it terribly right when he referred to the whole 'mass psychosis'.

That's the particular kind of psychosis known as 'joy' or 'excitement'.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That's the particular kind of psychosis known as 'joy' or 'excitement'.

Ooh how close you are to religion my friend. The word 'joy' in particular is often used by Christians to describe their feelings towards God.

binners

Christ there are some right miserable bastards on here

Jamie
    Free Member

geetee1972

Wow. You really do have all the answers.

Nick

Christ there are some right miserable bastards on here

I would steal that from my signature, if this forum had them.

Jamie
    Free Member

STW could just use it as a strapline for the forum.

Opening ceremony has kicked off….its damn funky so far!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_01

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh how close you are to religion my friend

Are you suggesting that is somehow a bad thing? 😉

(did you read the threads about religion on which I argued?)

Caher

Down the local bar tonight to watch the second game of the tournament and boo France. A few people with us no little about football but want to come for the atmosphere.
    Really looking forward to the WC – rather have been playing – but will watch and pick my rides more carefully for a month.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that is somehow a bad thing?

(did you read the threads about religion on which I argued?)

I am sort of ambivalent about religion, being a lapsed Catholic who is borderline atheist but not quite (it takes as much faith to be a committed atheist as it does anything else). So I wasn't suggesting it was either good or bad, just drawing a parallel between the usual STW sentiment towards organised religion and football. If anything I wanted to highlight the rank hypocrisy of this.
    Personally I believe everyone should have the right to worship/believe in/practice whomever or whatever they want for as long as that course of action doesn’t deny someone else the same right (impossible IMO), have a negative impact on society as a whole (also impossible) or cause harm or suffering to others (almost impossible but not quite)

binners

Pah! Football is miles better than religion! There's far less kiddy-fiddling involved in organised football

molgrips
    Free Member

So I wasn't suggesting it was either good or bad, just drawing a parallel between the usual STW sentiment towards organised religion and football. If anything I wanted to highlight the rank hypocrisy of this.

I'm well aware of the various forms faith, passion and devotion can take. The only thing is that the England football team is definitely real, you can actually talk to them. Plus, they are fallible 🙂 Their supremacy is an article of faith though…

nacho
    Free Member

I'm getting excited now. I work from home, just moved a TV into the office. Sales might be down for the second part of June 😆

headfirst
    Free Member

Right, I was trying to find a way to watch the opening match on the work PC, but I can't download the right software (not allowed), so I've phoned my daughter who's at home 'revising' and I'm getting her to record it, so my point is…

[i]NO SPOILERS ON THIS THREAD PLEASE[/i][/u].*
    and no haterz or religious nuts/naysayers either… 🙄

*feel free to open another thread for that

molgrips
    Free Member

I work at work, representing someone else who are intern working for someone else. I just opened up itv.com for the live feed!

Still, at least if I get fired I'll be able to watch the games!

nacho
    Free Member

OK so first game – anyone want to guess the result?
    I'll go for a draw, 1-1

LuckyJim
    Free Member

w00t – here we go. 🙂

(Though I reckon the incessant horn-blowing is gonna grate after a short while… how long before S.A. are christened the "Killer Bees"?)

LuckyJim
    Free Member

nacho – I'll say Mexico win 2-1

theotherjonv

what happens when football and religion merge?

How can you be unhappy when this man is alive

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘World cup. It's finally here!!!!’ is closed to new replies.