Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Workshop tools…any recommendations
  • thumbie
    Free Member

Looking at getting a few decent tools…any recommendations?

Pedros seem to be favoured in my LBS over Park. Opinions welcomed.

tails
    Free Member

Pedros and Park are both top notch as to a point of choosing between blue and yellow, although pedros chain breaker is class. Bit cheaper but still good are ice tools.

Grimy
    Free Member

What perticular tools are you looking to get. Theres certian stuff you should spend more on than others. Park do some good quality stuff, but for some things you really just dont need to spend that much money to get a perfectly good tool.

project
    Free Member

Big Hammer, and a small hammer,kettle and biscuit box.

Grimy
    Free Member

Big Hammer, and a small hammer,kettle and biscuit box

Percussion engineering at its best!

Northwind

Both are a lot of money… I appreciate a good tool (ho ho), almost all my regular kit is Teng and Brittool now, but considering how little use most bike tools will get in a home workshop there's really not a lot of point in lashing out IMO. So, I got the Lifeline basic kit:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Workshop_Tool_Kit/5360031531/

Which isn't now as good value as it was when I got it (£30) but is still a great starter kit. All the tools are good enough to use, though predictably the allen keys aren't very nice. I'm getting near the end of the life of the cable cutters but they've restrung about 6 bikes now which is decent going, and they've worked very well til now. And all for the price of just 2 or 3 Park or Pedros tools. I've added a few other pieces- Icetools do some nice kit at sensible prices.

For standard tools, like allen keys, Torqs etc, look outside of bike specifics- the Park PH1 allen key set is laughable expensive, £60 for tools that are slightly lower quality than my old £20 Draper Expert set.

For tools it's always worth spending enough to get decent kit but that doesn't mean spending a packet any more, some of this middle-of-the-road stuff is as good as you need.

colande
    Free Member

are you gonna use them in a workshop environment,
    ie day in day out

cyclo tools are of good quality,
    things like there pro pedal spanner are nice,
    but BBB do a v nice chain splitter etc etc
    depends what tools you want
    agree with grimy

rootes1

To be honest when compared to industrial tools made by stahwille, snap on, facom etc I think park tools are a bit low rent especially for the seemingly premium price they attract. Having said that they seem up to the job, so think if their pricing was better then fine. Just my opinion though

Carbis

Depends on what you are looking to do, complete rebuild of a bike / new build or basic maintenance.

The tools I would recommend are a good set of ball ended allen keys as you'll use these the most – mine were from halfrauds but are great, Park cable cutters (20+ cable changes, goodridge cables x3), a good quality chain splitter (I bought cheap twice then got the BBB one mentioned above), the appropriate bleed kit for your brakes and a good quality repair stand. Next add in a chain whip and cassette tool.

I'd get a copy of the Park repair book as well.

That should allow you to do most things.

akira

Decent set of ball end allen keys, work stand, chain tool, pedal spanner and cable cutters would be a good start, then just buy stuff as you need it, no point spending the money until you need a particular tool.
    Park do a big old set that contains everything you need but it's not cheap.

chopperT
    Free Member

Rootes1 is spot on there. Park bike specific stuff is good, but the general tools come up a poor second on quality and price when compared with proper professional tools, like Snap-on, Stahlwille, Koken, Facom, Beta etc.

thumbie
    Free Member

Thanks folks so far.

I did get the Lifeline kit about 2 years ago, however the chain tool lasted 3 chain splits & a couple of the spanners are like cheese. Not going to see daily/workshop use, but just wanted something more robust for my needs.

Impressed with my Cyclus headset press & remover, but wondered what others used before getting a crown race setter & remover.

Ta again.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Avoid pedros allen keys! Found mis-sized ones and had them snap on me at work.. Was left with bleeding fingers.. gnot gnice.. Their other stuff is pretty good though Esp like the chain whip substitute that fits directly on to 11 and 12 tooth sprockets.
    Park chain checkers with the dial on are shite.
    Cyclo stuff is usually well made and solid.

colande
    Free Member

well here's my recommendation for a chain spilter,

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/11867/BBB-Proficonnect-Chain-Tool.html

Bregante

+1 for some of the Icetoolz stuff (available at Evans') – quality seems good for not much cash.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I was recommended some Fat Spanner stuff and got some. A lot cheaper and really good I reckon. I got it off some guy on e-bay. Just the normal stuff, allen keys, torx keys, pedal spanner (that's a great tool) , t-handled allen keys, t-handled T-25, etc… Most the other stuff is non bike specific like circlip pliers, screwdrivers etc.

FuzzyWuzzy

I can't fault Park allen/torx keys IME (apart from the price :p ), I've tried lots of other makes (cycling and non-cycling brands) and not found anything better. The only hassle with them is they fit so well it can take a bit of wiggling to get them back out of the socket.

The Cyclo stuff seems pretty good to, although only have the headset press.

scruff
    Free Member

If you have a few tools first thing you should consider is a half decent cycle stand- makes a world of difference compared to leaning bike up a radiator or upside down in the kitchen, esp when doing gears and brakes.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

For standard non-bike sepcifc tools, Britool, Snap-on, Bondhus, Facom, Wiha are all good. The Halfords Pro range is surprisingly good too. GOOD Allen keys are very worth having.

For bike specific stuff Park and Pedros are good, but people like Cyclus also do the big stuff like headset presses much cheaper than park.

rootes1

Avoid pedros allen keys! Found mis-sized ones and had them snap on me at work.

good keys should never break, good ones like unbrako just twist when you over stress them, but despite the twist and if you use them with their own cap screws (great quality) you will still be able to release the key. Keys that break suck!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Workshop tools…any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.