• This topic has 35 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Woodburner/Solar power Help Please
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

Planned on living the dream… bought solar panels … bought wood burner with water heating… bought 500l solar water tank.

Can I get someone to fit it .. can I heck, well I have had some quotes but they were stupidly expensive.

Looked at the regulations … spoke to building control.

Now I want to do it myself but would like guidance … or someone sensible in the Midlands who doesn’t cost silly money.

Help please folks.

David

Albanach
    Free Member
    Bear
    Free Member

Maybe because they will have spent thousands on becoming qualified / accredited that they need to get some of that money back.

General whinge why do people think these things are easy and cheap?

Eyepic
    Free Member

I know where you are coming from Bear…

Problem is that actually Heatas training and registration is actually shockingly cheap. The reality is that the whole thing is surprisingly easy to do … which is why I am looking to sort it out myself.

Now I am not a practical person… want to know all about retinas .. I am you man. Plumbing and heating systems.. started learning about it a couple of months ago…

I am looking to get help from a jobbing builder and a plumber. .. I gather that Stoner of this parish did most of his work himself and indeed it is from him that I draw some inspiration.

Happy to pay reasonable rates but not happy to be shafted.

Bear
    Free Member

Heatas training cheap? mine cost me 2k!

Eyepic
    Free Member

Exactly

My son will cost me 8.5K a year for the next 3 years and at the end of it he may be lucky and get a job…..

The average newly qualified graduate… gets a v poor wage.

ski
    Free Member

For the log stove,

Try Sean Wilson from:

Hagley Stoves

http://www.hagleystoves.co.uk/

He is HETAS registered and helped me sort a nasty mess another so called fitter left me with, a fellow MTBer too.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Thanks

davidjones15
    Free Member

My son will cost me 8.5K a year for the next 3 years and at the end of it he may be lucky and get a job…..~

Would I be wrong in pointing out that you should put the boy in for HETAS training then?

Stoner
    Free Member

def get a HETAS man for the flue/stove install. A good one is worth their weight, esp when it comes to flue heights, regs sign off* and some of the metal fabricating required.

The plumbing is a bit less bureaucratic and for me has been a lot of fun and the route to some educating myself in a new field.

You could try http://www.wyregroup.co.uk/ and ask for “Mark” if you’re on the west side of west mids.
    He did the original install of my biomass boiler and thermal store and was contracted to my specifier.

If you want to have a crack at installing yourself there’s some stuff you can do, some you cant. Any unvented bits you really shouldnt do. But if you want a vented solar panel system you can do it yourself. But HETAS trades are worth buying in Im afraid. Feel free to PM me.

* and by that I mean one who is willing to sign off something that doesnt exactly meet regs. Regs cant always be satisfied technically or even aesthetically and Its nice to have someone willing to be pragmatic and get your arse covered with the right paperwork.

br
    Free Member

Problem is that actually Heatas training and registration is actually shockingly cheap. The reality is that the whole thing is surprisingly easy to do … which is why I am looking to sort it out myself.

and if it was that easy you wouldn’t be asking 🙄

ski
    Free Member

Its worth calling HETAS if you have any questions, they actually came and inspected my build, they do anual check on all their HETAS fitters, so as I was reasonable local (they are based in Cheltenham) they came and inspected mine.

I can also give you a name of fitter (not too far away from Stoner) that I would avoid at all costs too 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

and having to ask question does not mean its that hard either.

General rant:

Its funny how you can go and ask on forums to do with complex engineering, maths or science question and you will get help, or forums to do with dangerous sports, welding or some other dangerous activities. Even if it is “your question is too vague go read about xyz then come back”, but some advice regarding a “trade” and someone (thank god not all people) will tell you its impossible with out an apprenticeship as its too difficult.

OP start off with part J and workout which bits you need help with and where you can prep for someone. You’re probably getting expensive quotes partly because you have already bought the equipment, that way the bullishness you hire can not make a little on parts so they loose some money there and have to make it up, which is reasonable.

Bear
    Free Member

Brick – I think the other things you mention are more activities rather than a commercial trade. That is the problem, if it is easy why don’t more people do it?

A lot of it is easy I agree, but not necessarily cheap, therefore the unwillingness to help sometimes from people in trades. I help plenty of people and will continue to do so despite my whine.

My son and daughter (and ex wife!) will also cost me plenty over the next few years, for which I need to earn a decent wage that luckily most of my customers are happy to pay!

Also you need someone who is qualified in two fields so a far smaller band of tradesmen.

Eyepic
    Free Member

OK

From the top
    David Jones.. I acually have 2 sons one who is F***ing clever academically doin a Phd and living with a medical Dr they have between them spent forever in training and cost a pooh load of money.. (Bear you have no idea)
    My second son has a reading age of 10 but is never the less bright (a true dyslexic)… far brighter than most of the other folks he comes accross in the building trade. He is 21 a FULLY qualified electrcian with his own business and earns a whole load of dosh … nearly as much as my wife (a Headmistress).

Stoner .. Thanks your earlier poster really have been the inspiration for me doing this project… will contact you .

br … honestly it isn’t rocket science and I was more after a bit of help with my water tank than the heatas stuff.. Just a little help is all I am after.

Brick… spot on agree with you.

Bear … sorry my experience in this area is that most of the folks I have come accross are just taking the p when it comes to their charges … and yes I will do it myself .. learning from scratch .. at least I have 1 practical son who will be able to help.

davidjones15
    Free Member

nearly as much as my wife (a Headmistress).

That much? You must really be proud.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Proud… yes I am proud of him he is a nice guy.

Pleased for him yes…

Stunned at how much certain trades charge too true.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Stunned at how much certain trades charge too true.

Ah right, I see, you think headmistresses earn a lot.

Bear
    Free Member

Eyepic – I agree a lot of people charge silly money but people pay it for often poor service.

Have recently had one of my friends ask me id £80/hr was a lot to pay for repointing a house!

I see too many poor installations from people that charge way more than me, but when I try to charge a bit more people seem to think it is way too much, I guess that is the problem with a regular customer base and also the fact why I am and have been busy through a recession.

And I am worldly enough to know the amount of time and money training for the medical profession can involve.

Stoner is a good guy yo talk to about this sort of thing, but be careful as his approach has been a learning curve in terms of intergration!!!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

pffft!

just coz mine isnt run by a supercomputer like yours bear! 😉

Bear
    Free Member

No, but it is fair to say you have had a learning curve, and if it wasn’t for your interest, available time, willingness and ability to learn then you would throw the towel in, stomp your feet and say make it work dam you!!!

Renewables roadshow next week?

Stoner
    Free Member

oooh where?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good god. Is this stupidity really happening?

Stoner
    Free Member

you watching X-factor again MF?

Bear
    Free Member

Coventry is the first one next Thursday I believe.

What is this stupidity you talk of?

Stoner
    Free Member

gah! thursday Im usually in London. Might try and fiddle the diary to make it. Are you going?

EDIT: have booked for coventry anyway, and hope I can get there. Cheers for the headsup bear.

Bear
    Free Member

I booked for London on the 3rd October, but am now going to a golf day in Northamptton on the Wednesday, Roadshow Thursday and Gala Dinner Thursday night!

Let me know if you can make it be good to catch up. Oh and can you caddie?

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh and can you caddie

Wheel a trolley? I do it every Saturday morning in Morrisons. How hard can it be?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

PG Plumbing
    If your still looking this is a guy I went to Uni with, he’s midlands based and seems to be doing a lot of stuff that your looking for – he is however very busy from what I see sounds like a popular business.

TooTall
    Free Member

Stoner, Bear

I’d be going to this if I wasn’t already busy:

http://www.nextgenexpo.co.uk/

10-11 Oct, Stoneleigh Park

jimster
    Free Member

Wheel a trolley? I do it every Saturday morning in Morrisons. How hard can it be?

Judging by most the Coffin Dogers who I see shopping in Morrison’s on a Saturday

Bloody impossible!! 😈

elzorillo
    Free Member

Hetas training may not be that expensive.. but the prerequisite for training seems a little bizarre.

To undertake the course you have to prove previous experience of working on solid fuel appliances. Yet it’s apparently against the law to work on solid fuel appliances without the said qualification you are aiming for.

❓ 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

” Yet it’s apparently against the law to work on solid fuel appliances without the said qualification you are aiming for”

is it ?

The installation, replacement of or alteration to the position of a solid fuel combustion appliance is subject to Building Regulations. Before proceeding with such works the householder is required by law to give building notice or deposit full plans with the Local Authority Building Control Department and obtain permission to proceed.

However, for England and Wales, only, the coming into force on 1st April 2002 of SI 2002 No 440 (now superseded by more recent SI’s) exempts the householder from this legal requirement for the installation of solid fuel fired appliance whose rated heat output is 100kW or less in a building having no more than 3 storeys (excluding any basement) if a Competent Engineer is employed who is registered under the
    Registration Scheme for Companies and Engineers involved in the Installation and Maintenance of Domestic Solid Fuel Fired Equipment operated by HETAS Ltd. These registered Competent Engineers may also carry out associated building work necessary to ensure that the installed appliance complies with Building Regulations without involving the Local Authority Building Control Department.

so surely he can work on them as a non hetas engineer he just needs to submit planning and go through all that red tape . I am so glad i live in scotland.

how ever you lose the benifit stoner speaks of with the hetas engineer being practicable unlike the council jobsworth who need to dot ts and cross Is ……

elzorillo
    Free Member

is it ?

I’m sure that only applies to working on your own solid fuel appliance.

Working on someone elses I think you do indeed need HETAS (although I could be reading it wrong).

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for the link tootall. If my diary lets me I might go to that too.

Aidy
    Free Member

Its funny how you can go and ask on forums to do with complex engineering, maths or science question and you will get help, or forums to do with dangerous sports, welding or some other dangerous activities.

I think the other things you mention are more activities rather than a commercial trade. That is the problem, if it is easy why don’t more people do it?

And yet it’s funny how you don’t see bike mechanics complaining about maintenance/set up advice, or IT people about computer advice.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner/Solar power Help Please’ is closed to new replies.