Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Bloody awful cars
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

You can tell pretty much whenever you get in a car whether you’ll like it or not…..at least this happened this morning when I picked up the courtesy car while my wifes cars in getting ignored by mechanics who’ll blame the power issues on the seatbelt colour.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Renault Twingo:

(not the actual car) What a hate filled waste of metal that only pensioners who smell of wee and sanatogen could like. I wasn’t expecting much, but my got this is horrible.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t mind them – small Renaults are normally pretty okay.

donsimon
    Free Member

It was a popular car among the Spanish youth as the seats would lie flat making a more comfortable environment for getting closer to the one you love, or so I have been told.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Spanish… …one you love

That would be themselves wouldn’t it?

scaled
    Free Member

always fancied one tbh!

Looks suitably daft and at ~£12k for a 133 BHP mini hatch i think it’s a bargain

speed12
    Free Member

Renaultsport one is meant to be pretty good fun, but I can’t imagine a boggo courtesy car model would be that exciting….

scuzz
    Free Member

That would be themselves wouldn’t it?

High-five

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s a cost cutting exercise to put the dash in the middle of the car so it can be easily swapped for the euro market, but if you’re over 5 foot 5 you’ll have trouble seeing anything other than the bottom half of the speedo.

Anyway, I was hoping for a draft of pics of other such useless cars 😀

binners

Must be a Renault thing. I got a Megane as a hire car a few years back. Absolutely truly bloody awful. It was brand new yet somehow managed to give the far-from-confidence-inspiring impression that it was held together with duct tape. God knows what what the heap of **** would have felt like after a few years of ownership

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

pics of other such useless cars

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

I bought a brand new Mazda 3 saloon after being convinced by the Mrs at the time it would be a good idea. Words cannot express how much I hated that car. 1600cc’s of pure utter sh1te, for my 300 miles a week it was the worst car I’ve ever had. Ended up making the Mrs drive it and I bought a Dis-Astra van, which was much nicer to drive. At trading in time, I drove it from Ipswich to Norwich in third to see if I could blow it up, got to Norwich and it hadn’t even got warm. So chopped it in at a Honda dealers for an Accord and drove that back. THATS how bad it was

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But being serious for a minute – the world’s most ugly and pointless car…

xcgb
    Free Member

I had to drive to scotland from surrey and back in one of these it was a 1.1 too with no radio hateful car

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Fiat Seicento was pretty bad.

A Vauxhall Corsa I had as a courtesy car was awful – almost rolled over when taking a corner.

And a colleague at work also had a Corsa courtesy car at roughly the same time and said the same.

Reinforces my commitment to never buy a Vauxhall – the Vivas and chevettes my mother and sister had where pretty bad.

MrOvershoot

Can’t access images at the moment but a 1.6 Nissan Note (Goat) automatic was a low point in hire cars supplied to work.

bradley
    Free Member

Mini coopers…
    Audi TTs…
    All Lotus…
    All low-slung exotics…

All of the above are useless, not really awful, but useless.

br
    Free Member

I was looking for a s/h run-around.

Drove a couple of small hatches for £2k, bought a 3.0 Jag for £1k.

The hatches were noisy, harsh, rattled and sparten – the Jag is the total opposite, and for the miles I do, about the same price to run/insure etc.

Only thing now is that the MTB has to go in the back (seats)…, good job leather cleans easily 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Any Vauxhall, possibly with the exception of the VX220

I drive a 2001 Vectra, cos it was dead cheap & very low mileage.
    But good grief it’s an awful thing.

As Jeremy of Clarkson once said of the Vectra : designed in a coffee break by people who don’t care about cars.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My ex had a 206 CC, that was a comedy of a vehicle. Every week something else would break, we noticed the odometer wasn’t going up fast and measured a 2 mile route from her house to mine, the car recorded 1 mile so we kept our eye on it and discovered it only added a mile when it felt like it. So much went wrong on that car, it was handy to sell it with a ‘genuine’ 30k on the clock though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

^
    Vauxhalls.

donsimon
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this thread have a spoiler warning in the title? Outrageous I say!!! 👿

PJM1974
    Free Member

Our Citroen Grand Picasso is up there. In theory it’s a great idea, a torquey diesel and a shed load of space make for the ideal cruising companion. However, Citroen have managed to completely ruin it.

Firstly, there’s the plastics. They detach at the slightest hint of disturbance and really aren’t up to the job. The rubber cover on the brake pedal lasted a week before it detached and stubbornly refused to stay reattached.

Then there’s the shitetronic gearbox. You could squeeze an ice-age in while it actually goes about the business of changing gear – badly. You can move a piece of flimsy plastic to turn it into a semi-auto and use the paddle shifters, which resemble rejects from a cracker toy production line. But I wouldn’t recommend that, as the experience is very depressing.

And the dashboard…why put a digital speedo in the middle of the dash, where you can’t see it unless you take your eyes off the road and divert them forty five degrees to your left? Hmm?

I remember Citroens being ace. Seriously, the DS is whacky and space age in a good way, the CX and Safari looked amazing and were a nice place to be in (my old man test drove one back in the 70s. Okay, it made us all sick but it was a lovely looking car). Even the old Xantia was wedgy and a nice drive, in spite of the fact that none of them seem to exist anymore.

br
    Free Member

Any Vauxhall, possibly with the exception of the VX220

Disagree – did 70k in 2 years in an 06 SRI Vectra, cracking car and compared to colleagues BMW/Audi/Merc’s no trouble whatsoever.

richmtb

The original Kia Piccanto probably stands out as the worst car I’ve ever driven.

Vauxhalls are rubbish too though

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mini coopers…
    Audi TTs…
    All Lotus…
    All low-slung exotics…

I had a TT and it was far from useless – 35mpg around town, 45mpg on a run, comfortable, very fast, could fit a bike in the boot, main dealer servicing cheaper than independent servicing on my wife’s Mazda 3. Don’t see why any of the others are useless either, especially the Cooper. They are all designed with a purpose in mind.

cupra
    Free Member

The OP isn’t the target market, maybe when they are a

pensioner who smell of wee and sanatogen

they will love it.

Bet it is cheap enough to run on a state pension 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Mini coopers…
    Audi TTs…
    All Lotus…
    All low-slung exotics…

I had a TT and it was far from useless – 35mpg around town, 45mpg on a run, comfortable, very fast, could fit a bike in the boot, main dealer servicing cheaper than independent servicing on my wife’s Mazda 3. Don’t see why any of the others are useless either, especially the Cooper. They are all designed with a purpose in mind.
    POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I wonder if image has been confused with ‘bloody awful’.

midlifecrashes

How about this, was parked round the corner from our house a while back and I couldn’t resist snapping it.

binners

Are you going anywhere nice on your holidays? 😀

mogrim

My parents bought a 2CV, they wanted something with “character”. God awful car, so slow as to be dangerous (it’s nice to get across the lights before they change…), rattly, cold… thank god it caught fire one day and had to be scrapped.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Chevrolet Spark.

A crime against humanity.

ThePinkster

This is without doubt the worst courtesy car I’ve ever had to drive –

Don’t think it had a 0-60 figure ‘cos I don’t think there was a road long enough in the UK to hit 60 on.

atlaz
    Free Member

I was given a Fiat Seicento once. Clearly meant for deformed people as by the time I’d got the seat far enough back for me to fit in, I had to lean forward to change gear if it was in first or third.

On the other hand, I’d quite like a go in one of these for city driving.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d rather try one of these…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

On the other hand, I’d quite like a go in one of these for city driving.

They had one of them in the showroom when I dropped the car off

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEqhohfdqU[/video]

But 7 and a half K for an overblown moped plus 45 quid a month battery lease 😯 all so you can pretend to be saving the planet

Harry_the_Spider

Had the misfortune to drive one of these for a couple of days last week.

It was like flying down the M61 is a tennis ball.

Ghastly.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

WTF are you all talking about? These are cheap city cars. What are you expecting, a BMW 335d?? I’ve driven Spark/C1 etc and they all seemed like decent cheap little runarounds to me.

TiRed

The Twingo is based on the floorpan of the previous Clio, so handling should be streets ahead of a C1/Aygo/107. And whilst the base model with no frills is likely to be pretty grim, you won’t find many haters of the naturally aspirated 1.6L Twingo 133 cup. I rather fancy one, should I come to buy a car. Evo love them and Renaultsport in general.

And chapeau for even building the Twizzy. Sat in one at the dealers; tight in the back, and no windows (and optional doors), but they have built it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Bloody awful cars’ is closed to new replies.