Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • woodburner help please.
  • nonk
    Free Member

Wondered what you woodburner folks have used on the walls around your stove.
    Fitted ours into a fireplace that over the years has housed an open fire and then an aga.The problem is that the stove is cracking all the plaster around it.The stove is the correct distance from the wall.Seems kind of clear that this would happen now that i have the benefit of hindsight.
    so yeah what have you done? ceramic tiles?

letmetalktomark

Guess it depends on the output of the stoves.

Mine (Aga) are both circa 4kw output and sit in openings that have been plastered – I have got minor cracking of the plaster but nothing a quick repaint doesn't sort every now and then.

not very helpful I'm afraid 😆 🙄

nonk
    Free Member

i might be able to get away with a patch up each spring i guess but i get the feeling that the plaster will fall off soon.
    problem is,the stove puts out about 7/8 kw and i need it to as its a grade two listed building with high ceilings and single glaze sash windows.
    the wood burner is geat though it has changed the feel of the whole house.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Just cleaned up the plain bricks of the fireplace around mine (5kW Euroheat Harmony 13) and left it at that. Was advised that finishing plastering was a no-no as the surface is too hard and will crack with the heat. Looks fine and is dead easy to look after (i.e. do nothing!) as the brickwork and mortar is 'distressed' anyway. The bricks absorb alot of heat and the fireplace stays warm for hours after the fire is out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what biker said

nonk
    Free Member

ta folks.
    the fek about that is we would have done that in the first place if the mrs hadnt got her grubby hands on the stove brochure with all the modern living shots in it.
    ah well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘woodburner help please.’ is closed to new replies.