Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Woman's entry level roadbike – help please….
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So it’s been suggested that we go out tomorrow and buy a roadbike for the good lady.

None of the meticulous planning, weeks of scouring reviews… she wants one tomorrow and ideally in pink.

Any advice?

druidh
    Free Member

Tell her to grow up and act like an adult?

HTH

druidh
    Free Member

TBF, there’ll be few places stocking a wide range of girl-specific bikes – though she may get on OK with a guys bike. If it fits, it fits.

boxelder
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll point her your way for that advice then Druidh… can she contact you via Facebook?

I may just have to go over her with a tape measure and see if a man’s bike might work.

anto164
    Free Member

Pink? She’ll be lucky.

Go to the big retailers if you can (i.e. Specialized, Giant, Trek) and see what they recommend.

druidh
    Free Member

Not pink but…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57284

She might be lucky enough to find 2011 stuff at bargainacious prices

Junkyard
    Free Member

its from google images but it someone’s from this parish

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Apparently she has no interest in being an adult… but she does like that pink Planet-X.

Was looking at the Cubes earlier… the one up from that one Druidh, has pretty good spec an’ all!

druidh
    Free Member

If she can stretch to the GTC version, then by all means go for it. The Axial is the WSD verson of the Agree that I have an I luvs that bike. But you did say “entry level….”

Edit: You mean the WLS Pro.. Yep – good spec. Ultegra is always worthwhile.

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Avail. It’s the female specific geometry version of the Defy, and they really are excellent bikes.

Or if you’re not feeling too brand snobbish, there’s a female geometry version of one of the Boardmans.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ultegra is always worthwhile.

Better bloody bits than on my current roadie!

druidh
    Free Member

Because she’s worth it….

ivnickkate
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, wot ‘appened there?

Ultegra is always worthwhile

So long as you don’t crash, it’s bloomin’ expensive to replace. 😳

WSD is not essential, neither is pink!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What happened where?

What’s the main difference with WSD… comparatively shorter TT?

cinnamon_girl

My post disappeared!

What height is the good lady? And what proportions?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5’4″… errm… woman proportions? Approx 30″ inside leg?

cinnamon_girl

OK, I’m 5’5″ and all my bikes are mens. Does she have the usual short female body? Arm length – average or what?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah I guess… arm span is slightly greater than height.

She doesn’t think it necessary that I write her cup size though.

cinnamon_girl

😆

Good cos that will mean a choice of mens or WSD, imo. Where are you going shopping?

Edit: AW Cycles near Reading are used by a roadie friend and she recommends them.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrs Blobby tried a load of ladies road bikes and went for the Giant. Was the one that she felt the most comfortable with. Reasonably light and decent spec for the price too. She tried the smallest Boardman (after some complaints to Boardman about appealing service at halfords) but it just didn’t feel right for her.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Auntie, was thinking Reading… AW, possibly (shudders) Evans.

cinnamon_girl

Good luck and do let us know how you get on. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Worth a trip to pedalon too, just down the road from Reading.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers.

Never knew of Pedalon… sadly closed tomorrow but looks like a good shop. Edit – As is AW Cycles.

cinnamon_girl

Except their customer service is shocking apparently.

Check out Mountain Trax near Wokingham, mine’s there at the moment for repair. MissTSY is welcome sit on it for size. 🙂

Postman-Pat
    Free Member

I’m currently building this for my wife 🙂

cinnamon_girl

TSY – how did you get on?

elaineanne
    Free Member

i bought this one back in march…i like it very much…. nice n light…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-24-2011-womens-road-bike-ec023875

emsz
    Free Member

GF has a cannondale synapse. it’s white though, not pink.

it’s nice though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Beeline in Oxford I would go to. Bianchi do some pink and white road bikes. Personally it grips my sh** that ify ou want a women’s specific road bike it’s baby blue or pink! So chuffed I just bought a Kona Lisa RD frame off Chainreaction for £109! BARGAIN…..move all the bits over from my 10 year old Orbea. hoepfully it should arrive tomorrow.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We never made it to the shops… was actually en route to Beeline when we decided to wait until next weekend and there was more than 1 shop open.

I’ve already started with the proper research today and have come to the conclusion that I need a race spec roadbike… maybe a new Specialized Tarmac SL4.

thekingofsweden

Good decision to wait I rekon

We went through just about all the entry level road bikes we could find whilst looking with my wife.
    I found the specs on most womens versions was lower than the mens at the same price.

The giant came out bottom the spesh is quite well specced as is the cube but we luckily found an eddy merkcx amx-1 that not only fitted the best but had the best spec even down to 165 cranks etc ……..

Ridley also do a nice bike too I can recommend Echelon Cycles in Pershore as being very helpful.

cinnamon_girl

Check your inbox TSY 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Woman's entry level roadbike – help please….’ is closed to new replies.