Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wobbly Hope Freehub
  • sobriety
    Free Member

Hi all

Noticed on Friday that the rear casette on my bike was making a funny noise, on closer inspection it has 2-3mm of play. I don't think the lockring has come loose, as the casette's been on there for about a year with no problems and shifing is still ok. Is it likely to be the bearings or freehub assembly, or both? It's a Hope XC Ti from 2003-2004 I think.

Rio

Most likely to be the bearings. Easy to replace – instructions on the Hope web site, and lots of threads on here about which bearings to use!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have a look also at my picture article:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

Its for a Pro II but similar to the XC 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Almost certainly its the outer freehub bearing, mine did the same, replaced the bearing and it was fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh the bearings are 6001 2RS for the XC / XC Ti

sobriety
    Free Member

Ta very much.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

note: the pre-Pro freehubs are different in that the inner bearing is inside the hub body, located with a circlip, and has to be driven out in the same was as the outer bearing. For this reason it's wise to replace it as soon as any wear is detectable, as it's very hard to get it out if the inner race detaches (I speak from bitter experience)

sobriety
    Free Member

I'm off to a bearing factors at lunch, i'll be doing all three. I suspect the freehub itself will be goosed as well, as the chain's been going randomly slack (which is what happened to an old novatech one i killed) too.

Rio

i'll be doing all three

Four bearings in an XC rear hub, probably worth changing them all while you've got it in bits even though the non-drive-side one seems to last forever.

sobriety
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I would've felt bloody stupid this evening otherwise!

sobriety
    Free Member

One last question, what do knackered pawls look like?

Rio

If the pawls are knackered it should be obvious when you get the thing apart. Either the pawls will have lost their sharp ends or the ratchet has worn. But most likely if the whole thing's loose it's just that you've got some dirt in that's jamming them up and stopping them from working correctly. Have a look at Hope's diagram so that you know what to expect when you take it apart (don't lose the springs), clean it all up and hopefully it will magically work again – mine did!

sobriety
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'm expecting a glorious 'spling!' noise as it comes apart and then half an hour of grovelling around to find all the bits!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly Hope Freehub’ is closed to new replies.