Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Wish me luck…
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Job interview at 12.00 today. Working in a bike shop, no less. I've had enough of the building trade, I just hope it's enough money to afford the drop in pay, I've turned 2 down already……
    Fingers crossed. 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Awesome! Your cruise it no doubt! Good luck 🙂

geoffj

PP – have you never considered going into business yourself doing suspension tuning, servicing etc?

Just a thought.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – have you never considered going into business yourself doing suspension tuning, servicing etc?

Just a thought.

Yes. At great length, as a mobile mechanic. But first I need some experience behind me….. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

good luck sir!

nedrapier

Good luck! 🙂

Let us know how you get on!

geoffj

Yes. At great length, as a mobile mechanic. But first I need some experience behind me…..

No – not as a mobile mechanic. The TF PP Tuned approach. People send you their borked forks and shocks and you service them and send them back.

Anyway – Good Luck!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't think I could go up against TFT, not as a sole business, because I don't have the knowledge or the money to start up. I know what I know well, but it's very specific and I need wider experience. But if I lived near them I'd be banging on the door for a job. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and to cap it all I got to work and my Vespa scooter had a flat…. AA have fixed it but it's still leaking very slightly. More crossed fingers. That peed me off a treat I can tell you… Of all the days to get a flat!

Thanks Rich, BTW! 🙂

MrSparkle

Was going to wish you luck til you mentioned the Vespa… ;0)

Junkyard
    Free Member

good luck and burn the vespa

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oi! I like my Vespa!

GT200

trout
    Free Member

good luck and get a Lammy plenty of tinkering on one of those 😛

gog
    Free Member

Good luck, shame about the Vespa loving! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Trout, I don't have the time for tinkering classic scooters as well, that's a modern one. 🙂

I'd best go get changed out of this hoody……

vinnyeh

good luck, you certainly seem to have the skill, knowledge and attitude. What's the job?

trout
    Free Member

Yes I know PP wish I still had my SX200 from aeons ago be worth good money now

johni
    Free Member

Good luck

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Vinny – Sales, in store. I found the job on Bikebiz (It's gone now) about a month ago and had forgotten about it until I got a phone call yesterday. IIRC the basic isn't too low and there's a bonus scheme on top of that. I applied for a couple of mechanic jobs, but they were too far away and didn't pay anywhere near enough. This isn't perfect, but it's only 3 miles from home. I'd prefer spannering to be honest, but it's a step in the right direction at the very least.
    The quarry I'm working in now is at the end of it's life: They want to keep it open as a depot but the sales have recently dropped right off (Planning issues) and although I've been told I'm OK here, I'm fairly certain my money will drop anyway, and there's too many rumours and no certainty as to what will happen this year. I've wanted out for years, but Hanson are a good company to work for and pay well, which is why I'm still here after 9 years.

You gotta be in to win, right? 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think you would make an excellent salesman in a bike shop very approachable.

I never was any good at selling when I was in the shop I was always busy fixing stuff 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Good luck mate! Make sure they have web access! 🙂

Oh, yeah – you've just reminded me – the only time in my whole life I've had a flat tyre in a car was on the way to a job interview! Winchester CC (I didn't get it!)

peteimpreza

Good luck big man!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well I'm back then.

It wasn't really a formal interview, more of an informal chat. But the job's good. Money's fine, better than I expected. Working Saturdays will be a pain but the hours are a lot less than I do now, so it's not all bad.

Gotta wait for the big boss to get back to me, probably next week. I reckon I'll take it if they offer it to me though….

Fingers crossed… :mrgreen:

matthewjb
    Free Member

Money's fine, better than I expected.

Yes but how much discount do you get?

Karinofnine

Fingers crossed for you – but shame about the scooter…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes but how much discount do you get?

Believe me, that was in the back of my mind! It's not a question I'll ever ask unless I get the job though. Sure fire way to talk your way out of it I think! 🙂

but shame about the scooter…

Ahh, it's due new tyres soon anyway and the AA repair held enough air to get me there and back. Thanks though! 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Gotta wait for the big boss to get back to me, probably next week. I reckon I'll take it if they offer it to me though….

Excellent, hope it all works out for you 😀

shortcut

Update?

vinnyeh

Any word on the job yet?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gahhhh.

I rang the boss bloke on Friday, (he was the one who called me in the first place, but not the one who interviewed me) and he couldn't even seem to remember who I was or that even someone had been interviewed!

He might ring me back this week, but I doubt it, TBH.

Ahh well. Never mind.

DezB
    Free Member

Peter who?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That said, you gotta be in to win, and I think I'll pop into the shop on saturday and have a word with the bloke who interviewed me if I don't hear anything….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers Dez. Love ya! 😉

badnewz
    Free Member

That's frustrating, but definitely persevere

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tell me about it!

They did take amonth to get in contact with me in the first place mind….

vinnyeh

That's a shame. Keep trying though.

Andy

Ah shame. Still good experience and maybe they will give you some feedback. BTW those wheels look fekkin ace mate. Really, really nice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

😀

See. Black nipples. Told ya!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I rang the boss bloke on Friday, (he was the one who called me in the first place, but not the one who interviewed me) and he couldn't even seem to remember who I was or that even someone had been interviewed

This man is a cernt and shouldn't be in charge of an empty pram, let alone a bike shop.

IMHO. 👿

phinbob

My 2p.

Keep pestering in a polite and friendly way.

You are applying for a sales job after all…offer to come back and have another chat, just to remind him.

Keep it light, don't sound desperate but also let him know that a) You want the job b) you have a modicum of persuasion skills to go alongside your customer service and subject knowledge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Wish me luck…’ is closed to new replies.