Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Winter Roadbike Pics
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Well, after much helpful advice on frame choice from the STW massive, I bought a Dolan Preffisio frame very cheaply off ebay. Frame, carbon forks and headset cost less than 200 quid delivered!

Groupset is 1992 Shimano 600 Ultegra off my old racebike – the quality of this groupset is incredible compared to modern stuff – rock solid and shifts as good as new.

Other new bits were bars, stem and mudguards, the rest came out of the parts bin.

First impressions are that it’s a cracking ride, really comfy and I got the position spot on first time. Hopefully it should motivate me to keep riding through winter!

Vortexracing

Mine

P1030966 by eastham_david, on Flickr

flip
    Free Member

Is your fireplace sold?

I’d have give you £50..

bigG
    Free Member

My choice of bike to smash rule 9

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Flip, 80 and it’s yours! Haha

I have a roadrat “pub bike” built with flat bars and disks – I find it a bit heavy for proper keeping-up-with-other-roadie rides though.

Big G, what’s rule 9?

RealMan
    Free Member

bigG you are the true hardman of STW. I love that pic. Big ringing, no mud guards, bottle of ice (probably). If it was slammed it would be off the awesome meter completely.

Shibboleth, looks like a nice build. I’ll be posting pics of mine soon when it’s finished. Trying to get a super cheap selle italia off ebay.

jwr

Sweet looking bike Shibboleth! I suspect my winter road bike is somewhere on the opposite end of the weight scale. Still it gets me around when my car is buried…

Winter Roadrat by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Winter Roadrat by jwrfooo, on Flickr

-J

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m not as brave as you guys to ride a road bike in snow (turbo) but just fitted some giant road bike fenders to my winter road bike (pics soon) when it gets wet.

Great pics btw.

soulboy
    Free Member

Roberts Road Classic from 1994, but only the Columbus SL steel of the frame survives from the original build. Mudguards (Salmon). 36 spokes & 25mm tyres for potholes. 22lb. Used all winter, except when icy. Sweet ride!

tinribz
    Free Member

Another new build involving the spares bin:

bigG
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member

Big G, what’s rule 9?

Rule #9 / If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

RealMan, I’ll take your feedback on board and make sure it’s slammed for it’s first winter excursion of 2011, probably fairly soon.

13thfloormonk

Gutted, I can’t afford a winter road bike, and the ‘summer’ road bike is bright white, as are my shoes and about 50% of my kit 😕

Crud roadracer guards, some old SPDs and mountainbike shoes should do the job, suspect the CX bike will be seeing a lot of tarmac this winter though…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk,

You could try some water proof shoe covers (not just the neoprene type so you keep using your summer shoes to save some cash).

Also some cheap bike insurance for own damage e.g. home contents or independent insurance – still can be £’s but cheaper than paying for a new bike if you come a cropper which I hope nobody does.

antigee

my winter bike is my all year bike but then again i’m not a proper roadie and i wouldn’t want the sort of salt abuse got last winter on a “real” bike

Xmas day near Langsett

Sunsetting behind Derwent Edge

Near Bradfield, I love riding in the Winter!

13thfloormonk

Cheers Frankenstein, but I’m unbelievably precious about my lovely white shoes, think it would more sense just to shelve them for the winter, I’ve got some ‘road’ SPDs I can use, not like I need the 0.00001% performance benefit of my plastic french pedals during the winter anyway 8)

Best winter ride was Arrochar to Oban when the roads were clear and dry, but the verges and the hills were cloaked in snow. Coming up Hell’s Glen from Lochgoilhead and cresting the rise between Inveraray and Dalmally to see a snow covered Cruachan were two highlights. No photos though 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

RealMan, I’ll take your feedback on board and make sure it’s slammed for it’s first winter excursion of 2011, probably fairly soon.

If this was FB I would like the **** out of this post. 😉

I’ve just today received delivery of a brand new hacksaw. Steerer tubes everywhere are gonna get it.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

First time i’ve seen one of those kaffenbacks, looks really good

john_l
    Free Member

antigee – that last pic sums up winter riding beautifully 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

These pics are almost making me hope for bad weather!

Bring on Rule 9!!! 😀

Taff
    Free Member

Shibboleth & Vortex – what mudguards are you using on those?

Vortexracing
    13thfloormonk

Well, with this thread in mind (and that “Rule 9” which I’d never heard of before) we got out today despite looking out the window at 7am at wet roads and one HEFTY downpour before we even got out. Felt great, couldn’t believe I had forgotten my new glasses though, two or three descents having to look at the ground or even backwards to stop the rain lashing at my eyes, d’oh!

RealMan
    Free Member
    13thfloormonk

Ah, I’m mored used to Eurocyclist rules, although I’ve broken most of them (I even dumped the ‘gorgeous(ish) euro girlfriend’) so gave up. Think the velominati rules are a better aspiration, don’t like the no headphones one though..

takisawa2

Ditto on the 92′ Ultegra kit. Got some on my old road bike. It just works & works & works.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Ditto on the 92′ Ultegra kit. Got some on my old road bike. It just works & works & works.

I’m quite enjoying the more positive clunk of 8-speed. It’s a heavy group compared to modern Ultegra, but the quality of the shifter internals etc is brilliant. Built to last!

Mine has survived relatively unscathed too, so apart from the odd tiny scratch from leaning on walls, it’s pretty much mint.

Taff, I’ve got the SKS thermoplastic narrow section mudguards. They’re fantastic, nice and solid with no rattles.

Vortexracing

Well had a good afternoon ‘Alfining’ it with a Jtek shifter.

P1030982 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1030973 by eastham_david, on Flickr

need to see what it’s like now.

RealMan
    Free Member

Should sort out those brake cables. Top work on the slam though.

bigG
    Free Member

Mudguards,, really?

Electician’s tape,, sort out those creases, use a hairdryer when you apply it to smooth it out.

Stop re enacting WWI in your garden. Or do you let elephant’s crap on your lawn?

Ditto on the slam, good effort.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Jesus christ if i read the word “slam” one more god damn time i’m going to shoot my own face off.

baldSpot
    Free Member

^ wot he said

Vortexracing

Mudguards,, really?

yip it’s wet

but here is it without just for you

P1030972 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Electician’s tape,, sort out those creases, use a hairdryer when you apply it to smooth it out

Will do

Stop re enacting WWI in your garden. Or do you let elephant’s crap on your lawn?

Lawns buggered after the kids trampoline has been on it all ‘summer’. just re-seeded it and hopefully it should get back to normal.

RealMan
    Free Member

+1, it would be much nicer if we lived in a society where all bikes were slammed, and thus you’d never have to say it. Instead, we could talk about stems that are “balls deep” into the headtube.

A sneak peak of my current winter build..

spock
    Free Member

Realman, Is that one of the rutland £150 framesets?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yep

spock
    Free Member

I’ve been running one of those for a few months now, seem really good value, ride nicely, please tell me that weight isn’t just the frame?

RealMan
    Free Member

The frame, and one of the headset bearings. But going on my highly scientific method of weighing a bag of flour..

I think my scales might have been off a bit. I’d say it’s an 1800g frame. That’s the 54cm btw.

It’s not heavy, it’s just “solidly built”, and if it rides nicely, wgaf? 😉

spock
    Free Member

For the price i can’t complain! Yea i am very impressed with it, feels good and is nice and stiff, i quite like the look of the tubing too

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m thinking about covering it in stickers.

spock
    Free Member

they do look a little strange just white, i’m thinking about stripping of the paint and polishing it to make it look a bit more bling

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Winter Roadbike Pics’ is closed to new replies.