• This topic has 53 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Winter Mud Tyre
  • jimmy

Panaracer trailrakers are my tyre of choice for the winter, nothing else is as good ime. Well worth a look.

+1

Although the only other mud tyre i've used was an IRC Mud mad – also very good. I get the impression its not too hard to make a good mud tyre – big, widely-spaced nobs.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I've used a Medusa 2.0 LUST up front with a trailraker rear, and Mud X front and rear.
    Mud X 2.0's are stupidly soft and grippy.. to the point that the edge tread wears out faster than the middle. I've managed to tear the casing a couple of times on the rear though (tubeless). I'd deffo run them as a front tyre again, but would think about a proper UST for the rear.
    Medusas aren't quite so good on slimy rooty stuff but generally hold up really well.. Almost as well as the mud x. Having a LUST one means that silly pressures aren't dangerously scary, but they don't have the edge holding that Mud X's do.
    I'd rate both over trailrakers for a front tyre, although trailrakers make a brilliant rear if you're happy that they'll be nervous at a high lean angle.

grantway
    Free Member

I would say Trailrakers

But I do have a pair of Specalized Storm controls
    only used on one ride for £ 20 quid the pair
    I am in London

TractorFrog
    Free Member

@Grantway – What Size are the tyres?

grantway
    Free Member

Ok 26 inch tyre and 2.0

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've had Mud-X for the last 2 winters in 2.0" dual compound, awesome tyres.

Most of my winter riding is done around Delamere/Cheshire where it's a mixture mud, sandy gloop, wet roots and more often than not very wet roots.

They're simply awesome in those kind of conditions, to be honest I've had them on my SS since May and I've been riding them when it's been dry and dusty – not draggy in the slightest, great cornering and all round traction.

Way tougher than a little 2.0" tyre should be.

smurf
    Free Member

Another vote for mud x from me.

Run them at Swinley from late autumn to spring. Don't both changing them during winter. Nice tyre – would buy again.

smurf

pricey_T

Grantway – have you sold the storm controls?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I have a pair of Trailrakers which are over a year old and still looking in mint condition and never had a single puncture in spite of getting months of use out of them before spring finally appeared, contrary to a comment made earlier about them not lasting.

Captain control are fantastic all rounders and well priced but sorry, can’t agree about them being any good as winter tyres, thick mud slop sticks to them like glue, rather like the same effect in mud with Kenda Nevegals.

I recently purchased some Mud X’s as well as I’m fed up with swapping tyres for each of my bikes.

I’m running the trailrakers on the rear of each bike with the Mud X’s up front and it is working out superbly. 8)

Keva
    Free Member

Mud X here. Used 2.0s on the ti456 for two winters now and just bought a pair of 1.8s for the 853 Rock Lobster. Top tyres.

Kev

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Can’t edit my post above now but just realised I’ve misread a tyre brand, I had some Captain’s which obviously ain’t the same tyre and tread as the Storm control’s, which look good b.t.w after viewing the tread on them.

Please ignore previous comment. 😆

jonny-m
    Free Member

i used to run medusa in the 1.8 vesion. great in the mud but found them very draggy on anything else. looking at the tread pattern and the mud x and storm seem to look like they might roll slightly better due to having the tread pattern a bit closer together down the centre. also the medusas are very low volume and were quite a harsh ride if i remember. are the other two any higher in volume? any thoughts

devs
    Free Member

60a 2.35 Swampies F and R for me. We don’t get much mud but we do get wet roots and snow, which they excel in. I think it may be time to change this weekend actually. I run them ghetto tubeless and they rock!

mrmo
    Free Member

there are better mud tyres than the mud X, but it is what i use as a three season (autumn, winter, spring) tyre because it handles most conditions well.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Winter Mud Tyre’ is closed to new replies.