• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Winter commuter built and ready
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I have built this up so that my Cervelo can stay indoors over winter and I can have mudguards to avoid a soggy bottom. Plus it was an excuse for another bike build.

2011 Genesis Equilibrium frame in Reynolds 725 steel with carbon / alloy fork. 10 speed 105 group with R650 long drop brakes. 3T carbon post topped with a San Marco Aspide plus a Pro Vibe 7S bar and stem. 105 hubs with DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and DT Competition spokes finished with a pair of Continental GP4000S tyres.

All comments / piss taking gladly received.

ampthill

Lovely lovely

I wish I wasn't such a miser

Just been out on my road bike. Frame is 24 years old. Non indexed 12 speed transmission. Doesn't even fit that well….

TimP
    Free Member

It is better than my only road bike and looks much nicer, and I don't take that out in the winter as I don't want to damage it!
    I just trash my mtb all year round…

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Same here, better than my summer road bike 🙂

simondbarnes

That's nice

rootes1

and has mudguards – proof that you are a proper sensible commuter and not a fair weather nanny.

very nice looking

speaker2animals

Looks like just what I "need"for my winter/commuter/audax stylee bike. I'd probably go triple as I have learned that even a comapct doesn't help a hefalump like me up too many hills. So go on then, how much?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Very pleasing. I very much wish I'd got such a thing as my only road bike instead of my swish nice one and manky winter one. 🙂

Mascy
    Free Member

I have an ali Fort winter bike which has been fairly extensively upgraded over the years with my old 9s Dura ace sti's, Mavic Aksiums etc.

I love it because it keeps me dry (proper full length mudguards), but it's still horrible to ride in comparison to my race bike!

Yours looks lovely though 😀

karnali
    Free Member

wish i'd never looked at this thread, i can see an advert for a carbon focus framest and a cross bike going on the classifieds pretty soon, are they in stock for general public yet mister pny ideas of build weight?

barrykellett
    Free Member

Lovely!

but its got gears
    I couldn't go back to gears for my day in day out commuter. I can never be bothered rinsing down.

but yea, That is very nice. I would like that to compliment my SS and my Carbon summer bike. But her indoors would definitely kill me

MSP

The wheels seem to have a larger diameter than those on a normal bike, and are also far to skinny to provide proper traction. The handlebars are made from such a weak material that they have already become bent and misshapen.

Whatever you do, do not ride that bike! its a deathtrap and any usage will surely result in an excruciating painful death involving mutilation, burning, decapitation and severe itching.

damitamit
    Free Member

Nice! Does it take a rear rack?

locomotive

House appears to be subsiding… 🙂

Lovely looking bike (for a thin wheeled curly handle bar type one)

EDIT: LOL at MSP

matthew_h
    Free Member

That looks sweet. I ordered my 2011 Genesis this afternoon and should have it later this week. Going to be my commuter with guards and a rack etc. Looking forward to it

nickegg
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Looking forward to stocking the 2011 Genesis range in our shop, first shipment arrives tomorrow including my Vapour 10…..can't wait. It'll be my first 'Drop bar' bike too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

karnali – yes they are now in stock for general public. Haven't weighed it but it is no heavyweight. When I am back in the workshop on Friday I can pop it on the scales for you.

battykellet – I already have a Genesis Flyer for those days I fancy a singlespeed commute. It is nice to have both options.

damitamit – there are no fittings for a rack but could be fitted with P-clips. I may go down that route for some light touring next spring.

nickegg – who do you work for?

RealMan
    Free Member

Very nice looking bike. Did you go for 23mm tyres?

karnali
    Free Member

framest rrp??

nickegg
    Free Member

Mister P: Bike Bristol.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Could you get 28mm tyres and mudguards in there?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Looks very nice. Lose the guards tho, make you look like a mincer who can't handle a bit of water 😉

rOcKeTdOg

great colour

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep got 23mm tyres on there. I would have to have a fiddle to see if 28mm would fit.

It is around £350 I think, I will double check the RRP in the morning, I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Bike Bristol lot are a good bunch, I used to speak to quite a few nice folk down there.

nickegg
    Free Member

They are indeed a good bunch, i'm certainly enjoying my new job there…Who do/did you work for then?

MrOvershoot

Very nice well thought out build IMO

Mister-P
    Free Member

Frame = £279.99
    Fork = £119.99

redx

Mister P,

Can I ask what mudguards they are?

Cheers,

Alex

D0NK

but its got gears

I was thinking that, I prefer SS-implicity for my winter all year round commuter.
    Nice tho.

john_l
    Free Member

That looks very nice, mudguards look particularly good in that they're really discreet! Not SKS are they – look more low profile?

Just built up something similar for my commute & the winter to save my Scapin – Ribble frame & fork plus Veloce/Centaur groupset for just under £400. Looks gopping but actually rides quite nicely!

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are SKS Bluemels in matt black for a stealthy look.

D0NK

They are SKS Bluemels in matt black for a stealthy look.

While they do look good in the pic stealthy is not what I go for on my commuter 🙂 I have got some silver ones with reflector material around the edging, can't remember the make tho.
    Those bluemels do look well made – and sturdy.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Winter commuter built and ready’ is closed to new replies.