• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Windows/iTunes music collection size weirdness – help?
  • IHN

Right then, I have Vista on the laptop at home, which also my music collection on it (ripped from CD), all sitting in c:\users\simon\music. I have iTunes installed, which takes care of the ripping/library shenanigans. I have a 32gb Ipod and I have an Android phone with a (new) 32Gb SD card.

ITunes tells me I have 20gb of music. My Ipod (unsurprisingly) shows the same. So, thought I, a 32gb SD card for the phone will do just the job to hold all my music on there too.

So, I copied the stuff from my existing (16gb) SD card onto the new one and there was about 30gb left on it after the other Android stuff went on. I went into Explorer in Vista and tried to copy everything in my c:/users/simon/Music folder onto the phone SD card, only to be told that there is not enough space. When I click Properties on the Music folder shows as a gnat’s over 30gb. Eh?

So, then I think I’ll just copy it straight from iTunes. When I do a select all and then a copy/paste, it comes up as copying 11gb? Eh?

So, in summary:

Windows folder properties for music folder says 30gb
    iTunes library size says 20gb
    Copy and paste from iTunes says 11gb

Eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

duplicates and artwork? Is the artwork counted in the size?

IHN

I thought about artwork, but there’s no way there’s 10gb of album art, there’s only 300 albums.

And I don’t know how there could be duplicates, the Windows folder is sorted into the usual Artist/album/track order.

IHN

Any other ideas?

druidh
    Free Member

Is this Windows 7? remember that your music “Library” can display the contents of more than one Folder(Directory).

DezB
    Free Member

Install treesize free and it might show you where the hidden stuff is
    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

IHN

Druidh – nope, Vista. I thought it might be something like that (not that there is any other music on the laptop) so I checked the actual simon/music folder on the C: drive, not the ‘Library’, and it’s deffo coming up as 30gb.

DezB – cheers, I might try that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Windows/iTunes music collection size weirdness – help?’ is closed to new replies.