Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Windows 7 – Where to buy from?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Need (begrudgingly) to buy a copy of Windows 7. Nothing fancy, although it seems that Professional is the cheapest option anyway.

Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy it from? Downloadable would be a benefit as would paying with paypal.

Cougar

Are you a / do you know any students?

http://www.software4students.co.uk

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Nope.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Are you a / do you know of any pirates?

scaredypants

begrudgingly my arse !

windows 7 is way better than previous versions (IMO its as far better than vista as XP was above 95/ME – admittedly the competition in each case was pretty ropey but even so)

(how long ’til windows 8 comes out as a tester ?)

Waderider
    Free Member

I reckon a tenner is a fair price for a piece of software competent to that level. Any wonder people pirate it/remain with XP/try linux/buy mac/Android is capturing part of the market.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

begrudgingly my arse !

I have a mac and I much prefer it, but there is one program that I need to run that will not work on a mac, so yes it is indeed a purchase that I do not want to make.

scaredypants

do you really need w7 then ? – I bet you can get xp for almost nothing

Cougar

I reckon a tenner is a fair price for a piece of software competent to that level.

In what way isn’t it competent?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

do you really need w7 then ? – I bet you can get xp for almost nothing

There didn’t seem to be much in it. Plus XP is no longer supported/developed by Microsoft.

edhornby

there is one program that I need to run that will not work on a mac

have you tried linux ?? ubuntu is a pretty simple way to get it working and you install WINE (a free windows emulator that runs most things) or you may find a linux application that will open the data files and give you enough functionality to do what you need to

cost = nowt so worth a try?

brakes
    Free Member

can’t you just download W7 off the Microsoft website?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

email me Matt – maybe able to help

lawrence
    Free Member

I have w7 home premium boxed sealed unused ,intended for system builders ,meaning to get it on flea bay
    Any good . .?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have w7 home premium boxed sealed unused ,intended for system builders ,meaning to get it on flea bay
    Any good . .?

Depending how much, yes.
    Can you email me. Address in profile.

Waderider
    Free Member

Cougar, I didn’t state it wasn’t competent, I stated it was worth £10 in a world were there is lots of good free software.

Ed, you clearly have little or no experience of WINE, never mind upstream software like Crossover Office that might actually work occasionally.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

windows 7 pro 32bit for £50 any good?

lawrence
    Free Member

Am I being thick can’t see email address email me lawrence.jwa@Hotmail.co.uk

Drac

For MS stuff on software4tudents you don’t have to be student, any relatives at school will do. Do you not have a niece or nephew you look after who uses your computer? It’s only about £35 on there IIRC.

You self declare about who’s in education and unlike adobe they don’t ask for confirmation.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Cruzheckler – YGM

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone know of a legitimate way of obtaining an OEM W7 Starter product key? (for my netbook)

Drac

As above.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac – S4S supply only ultimate or pro as upgrades from XP or Vista. I Have an W7 starter install, but not a valid key for it. I need an OEM key for Starter edition, or have to do a new xp install before overlaying an upgrade.

Drac

No you don’t there’s methods for using the upgrade as per a normal.

You’ll be lucky to get an OEM key.

Stoner
    Free Member

OK ta, I shall research as £30 ish for the S4S W7 pro seems good. And Im currently a student yay! 🙂

Drac
    Stoner
    Free Member

top stuff, ta

jamiec360
    Free Member

If you don’t want to get from there Tesco (bizarrely) were the cheapest for the upgrade version, almost £20 less than Scan in fact. there’s a couple of workarounds when it comes to activation (legal and endorsed by MS actually) assuming you have an old license for an earlier OS, and yes it is the best think they’ve done for a long time definitely worth the change.

aracer
    Free Member

how long ’til windows 8 comes out as a tester ?

Chap I’m working with on the school’s IT appears to have access to it through the academic support chain – I’ll have to ask him this week if I can get hold of a copy for use on a VM.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

It I have windows 7 on my laptop can I legitimately put it on a second machine?
    Does 12 year old count as a student. Probably uses pc more than me.

aracer
    Free Member

Does 12 year old count as a student. Probably uses pc more than me.

As far as SFS is concerned yes – anybody in full-time education.

Drac

No W7 only works with one machine and yes 12 year old is in full time education so for MS products on S4S that fits the category.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Technet subscription for £134
    2 x licences for every version of MS software, plus the downloads.

e.g. 2 x Windows 7 home premium, 2 x Windows 7 Pro, 2 x Windows 7 Starter
    2 x Office 2010, 2 x Office 2007, 2 X Office 2003
    Server 2008, Exchange server etc etc.

The licences are valid for your testing environment, not to be used instead of a commercial licence.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/manage/bb892754.aspx

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Just noticed you’re a mac user, you also get Office for Mac.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 – Where to buy from?’ is closed to new replies.