Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 366 total)
  • Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Running like a sweetie now I have updated legacy drivers on my 10 year old x86 Inspiron 9300 (whopping 2gb RAM).

What I must stress though is that the 8.1 install was completely fresh and only about 3 weeks old with barely anything installed. I’m guessing how well it runs will depend on how much shite you’ve filled your computer with over the years. It definitely runs better than 8.1 though, it just feels faster and gets far less upset if you try to do more than one thing at a time.

When I come to do my desktop I will be obtaining my product key then doing a fresh install, it’s about time it got one anyway.

ratherbeintobago

It’s far, far better than we feared in work though (IT support co.) we’ve advised, ordered and begged our clients not to update yet as we expected all manner of horror stories – but we’re going to tell them they can crack on if they like with some advise about pitfalls.

The one bug that’s doing my head in is that it doesn’t like the security policy for my work email Exchange server (which worked fine on 8.1) – works for a bit then decides it’s not happy and won’t allow access. Still, it’s not my main computer…

GrahamS

IE is still a part of Win10, it’s just ‘hidden’ – Win10 seems to have made that slow and crappy too.

I don’t think that is a Win10 feature, IE has always been slow and crappy!

surfer
    Free Member

I updated my main laptop in an hour or so without a single hitch and have used it a lot since for work. tried to do an older laptop and had to mess around with a partition but once I fixed that it finished in about 90 minutes.
    All good here and I like the interface and everything so far is working very well. I am quite impressed really!

Only issues is slow to shutdown. Both laptops have SSD so boot up time just as good.

julians
    Free Member

After the pretty much unqualified success of upgrading my surface pro 3, I thought I’d upgrade my 9 year old desktop, this started life as a windows xp machine, was upgraded to vista, then upgraded to windows 7, So was a bit apprehensive about upgrading to Windows 10, but it seems to have gone absolutely fine ,at first glance anyway. Time will tell for certain.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well taken nearly 2 days to get to 84% download… Stupid slow Australian connection.

I might have it installed by next Thursday.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Started it this morning and after about 3 hours got to 40% and it just stopped, window has disappeared and I can’t make it restart from windows update as it doesn’t show up when I check for updates. Guess I’m not going to 10 then

Cougar

Download the ISO. There’s a link earlier in the thread.

Oh, and run a chkdsk before you start. sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt won’t hurt either.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

elevated command prompt

Cougar

Probably worth repeating this from my post on the Android thread.

the default privacy settings in W10 are a bit terrifying. Worth hitting ‘Advanced’ when you get to this point of the install. (WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU!!1!)

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Thanks, running the scan now.

To be totally honest this is a right ball ache, tried forcing it using the media creation tool a couple of times as well as checking for updates, then randomly got a prompt last night, didn’t start it as I wanted to do a backup. That finished over night so I started the download, then it just stopped at 40%. If I can’t get it to restart at 40% it won’t finish in time for me to sort it before I go away tomorrow so there isn’t much point. I’ll try the media tool one more time after the scan has finished (only 20% of the verification phase so far) but if that doesn’t work it’ll have to wait till I’m back

Thanks
    Matt

caspian
    Free Member

Just “upgraded”

Anyone else got no sound?

Handy video on Youtube explaining how to fix the problem. Only you can’t, er, hear it.

DezB
    Free Member

Left my laptop running the upgrade overnight. In the morning it showed “update failure, recovery step 5 of 5”. Eventually went back to Win7 where it is staying!
    I’ve got another laptop with a out of date evaluation of Win 8, so I’ll upgrade that. The computers I actually use though, can’t see the point. Can do all I want to do on the old o/s and default browser is Chrome as I use my Google account for saved passwords, favourites etc.

Xylene
    Free Member

nearly three times as long on charge for surface pro 3 on 8.1 than windows 10 – something is amiss here.

caspian
    Free Member

Just “upgraded”

Anyone else got no sound?
    For the benefit of anyone else who encounters this problem – a few extra restarts does the trick.

jamj1974

So has anyone tried it on a Parallels VM? I would be going from W7 – so if anyone has tried that upgrade in particular with Parallels I’m interested to hear how it went.

porlus
    Free Member

I had lots of trouble installing the latest windows 10 nvidia drivers. Kept getting a failure on the driver install section (physx etc went ok).

Solution I found that worked was to uninstall every nvidia program from my pc using windows installer. Then to browse to the Nvidia folder in my c: drive and delete it. Then re-download and install the drivers as admin. Worked perfectly.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Two updates for Win10 released last night, haven’t installed them yet though – It interrupted me watching the MSA DH, priorities!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seems I avoided a lot of the NVIDIA issues by blind luck – I took my PC to work to complete the migration (150meg at work v 4meg at home) but my work monitor doesn’t have HDMI input and my GPU doesn’t have VGA output so I removed the GPU and let it do its thing, once I got home I reinstalled the GPU, a quick visit to NVIDIA website for drivers and hey presto – looks better than ever.

jimmy

here we go…

CHB

Had it a few days now. Generally like it. Edge browser has lots of issues…Ebay and my work remote email don’t fully work on it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve found a few things that don’t work in Edge, enough that have me convinced it’s not fit for purpose in its present form. Broadly similar issues to that of IE8 (yes, I still use it, under duress) in terms of compatibility.

nemesis
    Free Member

Solved my connectivity issues by switching from an ethernet connection to wifi and it’s spot on now. IIRC I had some issues with the computer when switching connections before so it may well be more of a driver/ethernet card issue than w10.

I certainly prefer it to w8.1 as it’s basically w7 with a few add ons St least in terms of user interface

jimmy

done, no fuss and working fine.

My only bugbear having worked with MS products are the over friendly messages “we’re working it” “we’re setting things up” “this shouldn’t take long”. All inoffensive until things go wrong at which point you can’t help reading the meaningless error messages with a Microsoft US accent invoking the rage.

renton
    Free Member

How can you tell if your computer is downloading the windows 10 update?

Ive registered for it a while back and so far nothing has happened?

porlus
    Free Member

Not sure. Sick of waiting for mine to update so did that force update mentioned a couple of pages back. Think it updates the same as just waiting.

renton
    Free Member

I cant find the info a few pages back ?

Can someone remind me how to force update please?

chojin
    Free Member

From a run command:

wuauclt /detectnow

Sit back and wait.

porlus
    Free Member

Can do it here as well(did mine this way)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Just pick 32 or 64bit and away you go.

petefromearth

Can someone quickly explain how office 365 works?

I’m about to order a new laptop. Office 365 is available at a discounted price, however in the description it says it’s a 12 month subscription. Does that mean I have to keep paying to use it?

Some floppy disks in a huge box seems to be a thing of the past!

renton
    Free Member

ive tried to force the update by using the info above and its still not working ??

AdamW
    Free Member

@petefromearth

Yes Office365 is a subscription. You may get a cheap starting price but you must keep paying to use it. If you don’t the software doesn’t let you do much.

Costs £5.99/month (personal – 1 computer), £7.99/month (up to 5 PCs/macs)

EDIT: here’s the relevent MS web page. https://products.office.com/en-gb/compare-microsoft-office-products

johnners
    Free Member

ive tried to force the update by using the info above and its still not working ??

Download the tool porlus linked to 2 up ^^ – run the update or download an ISO for later use. Personally I don’t think it’s worth rushing to update.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I cant find the info a few pages back ?

Can someone remind me how to force update please?

Turn on automatic updates

Delete all the contents of “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” (but not the folder)

run the wuauclt.exe /updatenow command from the command prompt in admin mode

Make a brew.

Click here

JoeG
    Free Member

Signed up for the upgrade a few days ago. Got the notification today that I could download and install it. Its all working fine so far…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I managed to crash it on the second day by trying to remove a file from the new recent files list in Explorer that was on a drive I’d dismounted.

Apart from that it looks nice and ‘Hey Cortana!’ is fun. Edge seems ok so far, but then I always like a fresh browser before I manage to clog it up with shite

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well downloaded onto my Win 7 4 year old Dell and it seems to have worked well enough. It’s retired from being a work machine so not too much stress, chrome working fine and and the adobe stuff I use seems to be ok.

Not bad, like the bastard child of 7 & 8

Freester

I was going to wait for a while but in the end I couldn’t help but scratch that itch last night.

Installed it on my 7-8 year old Dell. I’ve messed about with it a bit over the years; extra RAM and put a SSD as the OS disk into it. Upgraded to 10 (from Win7) in about 30 mins no hassle. Initial look seems everything working OK. Lightroom is running a bit quicker which is nice.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lightroom is running a bit quicker which is nice.

Probably more free RAM.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 366 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.’ is closed to new replies.