Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 366 total)
  • Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.
  • chojin
    Free Member

I’m just going through the motions of installing it now, I have high expectations for the installation procedure and the OS in general – Do you think i’m going to be disappointed?
    Anyone else making the jump today? Or are you going to hold off until they work out all the “kinks”?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ll be going for it tonight hopefully, can’t be any worse than 8.1 surly

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If I wasn’t in a hurry to get some work done I’d be trying it. I would have thought on older machines, especially desktops it should have no trouble with the hardware.

If you try to do an in place upgrade though, it probably depends how much fluff from Saturn’s rings has collected in the registry, as to whether it pulls it off without a hitch.

munkster
    Free Member

OP did you get an email to initiate the upgrade or can you do so yourself? I registered to be notified but not had anything. Not in any great rush just wondered. Ta.

IHN

*watches with interest*

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hardly use the home PC anymore. Android on the hand-held. Sorry, Mr Gates, I think you’re receding into the distance…

dragon
    Free Member

Hardly use the home PC anymore. Android on the hand-held. Sorry, Mr Gates, I think you’re receding into the distance…

As a counter balance at home:
    Win Laptop
    Win phone
    Win Xbox
    Android phone
    Android laptop

Work:
    Win laptop

Once you realise that Windows can tie together everything from Xbox to your work computer you understand it still has massive reach.

almightydutch
    Free Member

You can force the upgrade process start by following these instructions;

Windows 10 upgrade

MSP

I find phones and tablets pretty second rate for anything that requires more than 1 word to be typed, IMO they will not be replacing pc’s any time soon.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve tried it in a VM, it looked ok but didn’t feel massive urge to upgrade at the moment.
    I’l be waiting for a few months at least before I take the plunge as I’d like the early adopters to iron out a few bugs for me 😀

willard

Just contemplating making the move now actually… I have a spare desktop machine by my feet that will run it handily, but my linux desktop works pretty damn well, so the urge is less.

Gaming might change my mind. Maybe.

And it will tie in better with things like the work Sharepoint setup but other than that…

GrahamS

I ripped an old drive out dead PVR just so I could install Win7 and be eligible for the free upgrade.

Several evenings later and I’m still fighting with Windows Update to persuade it to install all the updates I need to get to the Win10 registration. 👿

I’ll not be in a rush to install Win10 though. I’ll probably give it at least 6 months for the worst bugs to crawl out.

lunge

Hardly use the home PC any more. Android on the hand-held. Sorry, Mr Gates, I think you’re receding into the distance

I think all tools have different uses and for me, a desktop or laptop still is very useful. I sue:
    iPhone – Calls, texts and social media when I’m on the move.
    iPad – Web browsing when on the move, notes in meetings, some basic presentation work
    Laptop (at home) or desktop (at work) – Anything that involves lots of typing, heavier data stuff, browsing the web when looking at more complex sites.

Anyway, back on topic, I’m interested in this as I’m eligible for the upgrade and would like to hear others thoughts before diving in.

Northwind

If you’re happy with what you have now and you’re not an early-adopter nerd then let it bed in a bit imo. They’ve done a pretty big beta but there’s nothing like live testing to shake out issues. I can’t see any reason to rush.

andytherocketeer

will give it 6 months, since there isn’t planned to be an SP1 as such

but then I only have w8.1 for the sole purpose of clicking 1 icon to play a game (deleted all the others, except desktop). never got the invite thing, although I know it installed that update that’s sposed to enable the notification.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Gonna 10 my ancient Centrino era laptop, will let you know how I get on. Its hardly used so day 0 isnt an issue. It runs 8.1 pretty well so doubt 10 will be much different

Cougar

I’ve been running the preview in a VM for a couple of months now (I needed a test machine at work, figured I’d kill two birds with one stone).

In honesty, I think it’s a non-issue. For all the trumpeting, it feels like evolution rather than revolution though I’m sure there’s a lot gone on ‘under the hood.’ I’m not seeing any compelling reason to run out and upgrade from Windows 7 immediately, but I’m not seeing any compelling reason not to either (early-adopter risks aside).

That said, if I was on Windows 8.x I’d probably pull the trigger straight away, Windows 10 is basically Windows 8’s less annoying younger brother. Actually, I know exactly what it is: Windows 10 is to Windows 8 as Windows 7 was to Vista.

GrahamS

Sorry, Mr Gates, I think you’re receding into the distance

Breaking news, Bill Gates stepped down as Microsoft CEO over fifteen years ago. 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well it won’t upgrade because apparently the x800 isn’t compatible. Oh well…

chojin
    Free Member

A very smooth upgrade process if I do say so myself.
    I like the look of it already!

Colour me impressed.

br
    Free Member

Only concern I’ve currently got is that you’ve no control over Windows updates unless you’re on an Enterprise version – this might cause us trouble at work, ie we only get the update when a client does and then their/our software has a problem.

Or am I wrong?

brassneck

The beta was more or less a release. I’m not expecting any major nasties, but it would be prudent to hold off on any machines you actually do work on for now.

That said, if I was on Windows 8.x I’d probably pull the trigger straight away

Seconded.

chojin
    Free Member

This was my work “research” laptop (i.e. standalone, broadband), running 8.1.
    Pulled the trigger very quickly.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Atom based Vaio P is struggling lately – not necessarily with W7, it’s a clean install, but with modern webpages.

I’ll be trying it out asap though.

mashiehood
    Free Member

very easy process, done and dusted in an hour. Impressed so far, delighted the start button is back. Im almost free of all Apple related gadgets!

SamB
    Free Member

I’m probably going to do it on my “research” laptop as well… but in a month or so.

Hilarious stories of forced driver updates at arbitrary times are keeping me clear at the moment. My favourite so far is the guy doing a client presentation at the point that Windows decided it was time to install a new (bugged) graphics driver 😆

IHN

So, if my home laptop, the older laptop hooked up to the telly and the fairly old netbook are all on Vista, will they benefit from the upgrade?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry, Mr Gates, I think you’re receding into the distance…

Still have 90% odd market share vs 5% for apple…

I don’t think Vista qualifies for the upgrade btw.

IHN

It does, I have the notification icon o in my, er, notification icon bit.

GrahamS

It does, I have the notification icon o in my, er, notification icon bit.

Nope sorry.

What are the qualifications for the free upgrade?

The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Can I get Windows 10 if I have a device running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

You may purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store or other retailers and install it on your existing device running Windows XP or Windows Vista if your device meets the minimum spec requirements for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq

IHN

Oh 🙁

jb72
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s Vista?

Try Control Panel > System & Security > System

IHN

Pretty sure it’s Vista Home Premium. I’ll check at home tonight.

The icon’s definitely there, maybe it takes me to a page where I pay…

nemesis
    Free Member

My W7 media PC is running the update as we speak. I’ve done it via chrome remote on my phone just to see if I can break it… 😉

83% done apparently.

jonjones262
    Free Member

If anyone uses Cisco VPN, be aware that Win10 has issues. Where I’m doing some work for sent out a mail stating no one should upgrade to 10

nemesis
    Free Member

Mine’s complete. Took an hour or so and despite the old computer, it seems to be working nicely. The new start button and compact metro/start menu is MUCH better than W8

johnners
    Free Member

My W7 media PC is running the update as we speak

Hope you’re not using Media Center because the update will uninstall it.

nemesis
    Free Member

No, MC was always rubbish 🙂 Just use standard programs for music, video, steaming. It’s only a “media” PC by virtue of being under the TV really.

convert

Anyone running windows through Parallels on a Mac and had the invite to upgrade for free yet? No icon in my toolbar for me yet 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 366 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.’ is closed to new replies.