Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 366 total)
  • Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.
  • MrOvershoot

tron – Member

Does anyone have Office Professional 2013 working on Windows 10? They only list Windows 7 and 8 / 8.1 as compatible…

Yep its working fine on the machine I’m on right now.
    Have 3 other machines now running W10 in the house, Office Pro 2007 x 2 and Office Pro 2010 x 1 all seem fine.

This laptop was previously W7 & the last of our PC’s I updated & if anything all Office Pro 2013 applications open faster and are rock solid.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I just uninstalled 2010 (working fine) and installed 2013 Pro Plus. As with MrOvershoot, 2013 seems a bit faster.

Cougar

That’ll be the extra caffeine.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Played with some tablet/convertible things in pc world the other day, by ‘eck they are good value. Impressively smooth and responsive. Also saw a similarly decent tablet for a remarkable £100 with W10.

Russell96

My Surface Pro 3 upgraded no probs, gaming PC and other Windows laptop waiting for ages “we are validating your install…” turns out Windows 10 needs a hidden boot partition size of at least 350mb and whats the default in Windows 7 100mb…

So even if you forced an install using the Windows media creation tool all that would happen would be a wait while it does a 2.5gig download then fails on the boot partition issue. Quick resize with Partition Magic and upgrades complete.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’m stymied. No GMA500 drivers for my Vaio P and the upgrade wizard won’t let me proceed. Anyone managed to force it? Apparently the W7 drivers can be made to work, but I’m not being given the chance.

leffeboy

First bsod during a windows 10 upgrade. It turns out it doesn’t like eSet antivirus unless you upgrade it to a post Win10 version first, otherwise you have to mess around a bit to get it going.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Will a complete technodummy be able to install w10 without hassle? What happens with internet bookmarks, outlook account settings, etc? Anything in there change and need attention?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Tried out Windows 10 on a spare Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, upgrade went ok and managed to boot into the desktop, after a few minutes the screen went black and can’t do anything at the moment. Looks like a BIOS update is needed after googling for this.

leffeboy

Will a complete technodummy be able to install w10 without hassle?

So far any machine I’ve had with Windows 8 has gone straight to 10 without any difficulties (apart from the eSet one I posted). It takes a couple of hours and there is no fiddling after

However… if you do have an issue then it gets painful so it may not be worth doing unless you have a friendly IT bod you can call on if it goes wrong

matt_outandabout

First bsod during a windows 10 upgrade. It turns out it doesn’t like eSet antivirus unless you upgrade it to a post Win10 version first, otherwise you have to mess around a bit to get it going.

My Eset is spitting out regular error messages about one particular aspect – and is latest version. Eset say they are working on it.

leffeboy

My Eset is spitting out regular error messages about one particular aspect

What happens?

back2basics
    Free Member

why does windows 10 keep changing keyboard setting from ENG UK to ENG US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    argggggggggggg

matt_outandabout

@leffeboy

‘Cannot connect to HIPS module’ or words to that effect, and HIPS is disabled.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member
    Will a complete technodummy be able to install w10 without hassle?
    So far any machine I’ve had with Windows 8 has gone straight to 10 without any difficulties (apart from the eSet one I posted). It takes a couple of hours and there is no fiddling after
    However… if you do have an issue then it gets painful so it may not be worth doing unless you have a friendly IT bod you can call on if it goes wrong

Thanks, it’s the fear of something going awry that is stopping e (the story of a black screen above). I can’t afford to be without the computer due to the need to send out work related emails regularly. I think I’ll remain in the dark ages for as long as I can.

TheFlyingOx

I took the plunge and upgraded yesterday. Took a while, but it’s all done and dusted now. Seems to be pretty much what Windows 8 should have been.

That aside, I do have one mildly annoying problem after upgrading. My laptop works fine when it’s plugged in, but if I unplug then about 5 seconds later it freezes. Similar if I start it up when unplugged, it’ll get to the logon screen but won’t let me select/type anything. I was originally thinking it was some kind of power management issue but I’ve tried all the available options for “when unplugged” to no avail, so I’m out of ideas.

Any clues from the more technologically minded?

cat69uk
    Free Member

Installed on launch onto Dell desktop from 7, all good, apart from when I switch on it stalls on boot up. Hold power button to switch it off, and then power on, it is always fine on 2nd go? Any ideas?

stevehine

@cat69uk – that sounds like it could be caused by fast boot (which is actually hibernate in disguise) – If you can do a restart without problems; but a shutdown / power on fails then I’d give this a try:

how to turn off fast boot

cat69uk
    Free Member

Thanks @stevehine, it worked perfectly! That has been bugging me for weeks, good old Singletrack forum 🙂

stevehine

Aye; this place is a fountain of knowledge 🙂

Cougar

I was originally thinking it was some kind of power management issue

You might find there’s some form of ACPI / power management driver for it. Check with the PC / motherboard / chipset manufacturers. BIOS update might not hurt either.

leffeboy

@matt_outandabout

‘Cannot connect to HIPS module’ or words to that effect, and HIPS is disabled.

Thanks. I had that once as well then it completely died but after the reinstall was ok. Maybe it depends on exactly which product it is.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It might only be the real nerds that are muttering it right now, but it looks like data is being mined/leaked from W10 machines despite all the privacy settings being on.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/26/225239/how-to-keep-microsofts-nose-out-of-your-personal-data-in-windows-10 [comments]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Gofaster – it’s been the same since win7. I’m no tin-foil-hat wearer but at the same time don’t particularly being monitored either.

However, this data is valuable enough to MS for Win10 to be free. A not dissimilar model to adds keeping ‘free’ websites going. I think it’s a fair swap.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m not that bothered about what is being recorded – I don’t do anything of much interest 😀

I hadn’t heard much about data being extracted in W7 until this though, assuming you kill all the options that allow it. Looking at the comments, it seems to be something that was introduced after the main release for W7. Must have slipped under my radar.

It’s the way this stuff happens when you are setting the options to ‘no’ that bothers me, it’s a fundamental dishonesty I find concerning. Yeah, OK W10 is free, but at the same time it is also an attempt to fix the fragmentation of the market that happened with the W8 interface, with [AFAIK] the aim of keeping MS in the game. That is, or was, the main way to derive a profit I thought, by not losing the market they had!

bobbyspangles

installed and uninstalled after 2 days.

Found the pointer to be slow juddery, when typing into the search bat using chrome often the first letter would not appear and drop down menus in search bars did not work.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have plenty of pirated stuff, games, MS Office, some films / TV but nothing that’ll be of real interest to anyone.

You’re right that it seems kind of dishonest that you can chose ‘no’ and still have data submitted.

I wonder how identifying the data is.

From what I’ve read and understood, the market is changing so much that the old model isn’t working. With OSX and iOS gaining so much market share, giving away the OS, perhaps charging smaller amounts for upgrades / updates (as in the OSX model) but keeping people using MS, Office etc, is the object.

With Apple gaining such a foothold in education, if MS don’t do something quickly, there’ll be a generation growing up to whom Windows is alien. If that happens, MS will become simply a software producing (not OS) company.

surfer
    Free Member

With Apple gaining such a foothold in education, if MS don’t do something quickly, there’ll be a generation growing up to whom Windows is alien. If that happens, MS will become simply a software producing (not OS) company.

I’m head of IT for an Education trust and this is not my experience

aracer
    Free Member

I do IT support in schools and it’s not mine either. I was in this week helping to set up a load of iPads, and I’m aware of them going into several other local schools, but we’re also updating the Windows support in those schools and there is a huge amount of stuff which will still be done on Windows (we still have to support software from last century, W10 isn’t coming any time soon apart from for testing purposes!)

scotroutes

Apple have been “gaining a foothold in Education” for at least the last 15 years. 🙄

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Aracer – if you’re supporting stuff from the last century, surelynat some point the support will fade out? Machines break or software becomes obsolete. Are the teachers supplied with computers? Windows or Macs? If windows, Surely at the next major computer purchase, with all the iOS devices beingn used in schools, it would make sense to get Macs.

How were those iPads set up? Using a Mac, I’d wager. My school (fee paying, admittedly) is Mac throughout. MBPs for teachers, BYO Macs for children in year 3 and up and in a 3 form entry school (class size >20) there are 40 iPads for each 2 years.

richmars

Surely at the next major computer purchase, with all the iOS devices beingn used in schools, it would make sense to get Macs.

Because education budgets are so huge at the moment, they can afford to spend more than needed on Macs.

Anyway, Macs in schools was debated in one of the many recent PC vs Mac threads.

stimpy
    Free Member

I think that Apple really only has a presence of real significance in the tablet and smartphone markets (and it is only recently that Apple market share has been equivalent to Android – and that’s only in UK, not globally). Apple lags behind Windows heavily in the desktop/laptop markets so I don’t think jumping fully on board the Apple bandwagon would be serving schoolkids terribly well for what they’re likely to encounter in the real world.

aracer
    Free Member

Well it’s clearly not become obsolete yet, and despite the best efforts of the government, most of the stuff the kids get taught is still the same as it was 15 years ago, and will still be the same in 15 years time – I suppose at some point the SW will look extremely dated, but it’s nowhere near there yet. As for machines breaking, well we’re currently using 6+ year old hardware (that’s what we’ve just installed!) and given our system will work with any current hardware that’s unlikely to be a problem for a while. At some point I’ll check compatibility with W10, but I’d be surprised if there was a problem, though given the upgrade we’ve just rolled out was from XP to W7, we’re not rushing into that!

Are the teachers supplied with computers? Windows or Macs? If windows, Surely at the next major computer purchase, with all the iOS devices beingn used in schools, it would make sense to get Macs.

Windows laptops. I can’t see how having iPads makes any difference at all to what computers the teachers are using – and given the kids aren’t going to be using iOS (we’re not going to be asking kids to supply their own, and we don’t even have the budget to provide the number of seats at Windows machines we have if doing things the conventional way) then adding another system to support would just make life harder. We now have 1 (I think – maybe 2?) MBP which was used to set up the iPads, so I get to learn something new, though that’s not going to need to have any of the normal teaching stuff installed as it nominally belongs to the head.

Anyway, back to W10 (which I will be trying out on the school system when I get our “new” W7 install to the point it doesn’t need regular support) – I asked earlier, when I download an iso should I get English or International English?

stimpy
    Free Member

Hi Chris, I upgraded by ISO and just did English (not international English).

Wally

I like! Laptop and desktop done today. Amazed an old Q9550 quad core works so well. I think it likes the SD HD recently installed. Everything seems a little faster, it’s a lot like owning a new bike syndrome.

molgrips
    Free Member

I managed to get a cheap but really rather fast mSata SSD into my old and slow Vaio P series. It’s pretty much the smallest laptop ever made. Just to give you an idea of how slow I looked up the cpu benchmarks vs the £100 W10 Linx tablet you can get in Sainsbury’s. That’s just about the cheapest thing you can get and it scored about 2,500 on the benchmark I found; my Atom Z520 got 700.

Anyway I got W10 going on it with W7 drivers in compatibility mode since the GMA500 graphics card has no official W10 drivers and it’s surprisingly usable. The thing was never quick but this is better than W7. The biggest chore with the old setup was the complexity of modern websites like FB – the new browser seem to help with that. Can jut about watch Amazon Prime videos on it full screen if you’re not fussy, although for some reason Netflix gives an error message in the new browser. Anyone else seen that?

Also – no Netflix app..? Early days?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 366 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.’ is closed to new replies.