Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Will shimano disc brakes work with avid discs??+ rose bikes info?
  • renton
    Free Member

I am thinking of selling my Avid elixrs and getting some new shimano slx brakes.

eventually I would like to use the ice tech rotors but for a temp solution i would like to use my current avid rotors.

will this work??

do i still need to buy adaptors if i buy a disc brake from rose bikes??

Has anyone on here ordered from rose bikes??

cheers

steve

DrP

Yes – I’ve been looking for a thread I started where I did just this, but can’t find it!
    The Avid rotors are 183/5, so I stuck a few washers in the adaptor.

DrP

bigbloke
    Free Member

Would the current Avid set up already have 183/5 adapters if so surely the Shimano should just fit onto that, am i wrong??

renton
    Free Member

it does but i wasnt sure if i can just use them or not as they have the tri align gubbins??

dantsw13

If the rotor is the right size it will work. My rose deore brakes came with a rear 160 adapter. And mega long cables set up the wrong way round – I posted yesterday how to swap them.

DrP

160 disc is a 160 disc, so that’s fine.

I used a shimano 180mm adaptor (with shimano calliper) and a few washers.

Hang on….I was about to post “I don’t think an avid adaptor would work with shimano calipers”, but you can get forks and frames with post mount on them can’t you, so maybe the avid adaptor would work with a shimano caliper….. I ahve some at home, so can go look later!

DrP

mattmbk
    Free Member

I did exactly this to my bike and had to shim the rear adaptor with washers to stop the caliper fouling on the rotor. Set up didn’t last long as the Avid turkey gobble row was unbelievable, shook the bike to pieces. When wet it was even worse so swapped the rotors to 180 Superstars with 180 adaptors and it was perfect. The entire Avid Elixir set up went into the dustbin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Will shimano disc brakes work with avid discs??+ rose bikes info?’ is closed to new replies.