Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wide bars wrist ache
  • waller
    Free Member

Hi,

Just wanted to check before I cut them down more… I bought some new sublime wide bars from crc. I have chopped them down already but I’m still getting wrist ache/pain of the outside.

Are there any rules of thumb for width of handlebars?

Chop em down a bit more?…

Cheers,

waller
    Free Member

Sorry sublime should have been sunline…. Predictive text….

ringothegringo
    Free Member

I swapped my stock bars from my Orange with a pair of race face ones that were lying around in the shed. The RF bars are 640mm and my wrists are killing me (thats why Im not out today yet!)so im busy swapping’em back – never had it before, I used these bars for yeasr with no problem?

dantsw13

Could it be more of a back sweep angle issue than width? Or maybe a combination of the two?

hugor
    Free Member

Same issue here after changing to wide bars. Went from 640 to 740 Sunlines and 100 to 70 stem.
    It seemed like the fashionable thing to do.
    I get pain on the insides of both wrists.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve gone from 610 to 640 to 680 and now running 710mm and it feels perfect for me. I’ve not got wide shoulders.

qwerty
    Free Member

go on admit it… those bendy On One Mary bars now have a certain appeal, innit 😉

snipswhispers
    Free Member

I run trekking bars (think dutch cruiser) at the mo. so no problems whatsoever and gobs of control.

though with riser bars, isnt it the upwards curve at the ends that causes the problems…it just doesnt look right, as though its forcing your shoulders up rigidly and unnaturally, like some comics impersonation of sandi toksvig.

maybe on-one’s ‘fleegle’ bars would be an ideal compromise between trekking and riser bars?

good luck.

ska-49
    Free Member

Im running the sunline 745 bars. I found them really comfortable for short rides but as I rode longer I got the same pain. Ive chopped them to 711mm and they are now perfect! I’d suggest chopping them or changing grips to Ergons or similar.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what effect does cutting bars down inn regard to weight distribution? (thinking long stem/short bars – short stem wide bars etc)

bedmaker

It seems obvious to me that as your hands get further apart the angle of your wrist becomes more acute and more likely to get sore over time, unless the backsweep also increases to counteract this.
    I’ve been an avid user of weird bars over the years, jones, mary’s etc.
    I think I’ve found the sweet spot (for me) with my Salsa pro moto flat with 17 deg sweep. 710mm width but I’d like to go a bit wider. I don’t want to go wider without the sweep though.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Waller, you need a set of Ragley Carnigies

http://www.ragleybikes.com/our-components/carnegies-bar/

One of the best bars in the world

bwaarp
    Free Member

Get a set of Syntace Vectors, they come in at 740mm wide and have 12 degrees of backsweep which should help your wrists.

Secondly move to a 50mm stem, as wide bars kind of increase the reach.

VanHalen

Sunline bars make my wrists hurt too. The sweep is too much. I have easton shaped body I find the bars sweep back to the wrist too much. The eastons I had previous were lovely. And I didn’t ride on the ball of my hand so much

waller
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. Sounds odd but I’m glad I’m not the only one suffering… Thought it was me being weird or something.

I will try chopping them down more but I think they may have been a poor choice 🙁

I’m also going to have a look at the sweep the carbon risers I replaced them with. The stem I moved back from 100mm to a 60mm.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Sunline bars make my wrists hurt too. The sweep is too much. I have easton shaped body I find the bars sweep back to the wrist too much. The eastons I had previous were lovely. And I didn’t ride on the ball of my hand so much

I thought sweep was designed to do the opposite. To basically help the bars conform with the natural position of your hand.

I took a straight bit of wood the same length as my bars, clamped it into my stem and my wrists were twisted in a LOT more.

Aidan
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check brake-lever angle, too. Your arms should form a straight line through your wrists and down to your braking finger(s).

I thought I had my set-up right, but > 5 hours I noticed that the brake levers are a tiny bit out and making me roll my wrists to reach them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wide bars wrist ache’ is closed to new replies.