Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Whyte E-120 owners – replacement quad links – cracked help!
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

Has anyone had any experience with cracked quad links on Whyte E-120’s? I know there have been a few reports of them cracking / bearing cups coming away from the carbon. Mine is a 2008, wondering if anyone knew rough costs for a replacement link or if its warranty? I’ve mailed Whyte but its bugging me and i want to try and see if anyone’s had the same problems before i get an answer off Whyte.

PhilChap

I have had a few problems and it has always been sorted out under warranty.

judderman
    Free Member

sent my 2008 frame back through Bikecity for ‘filler cracks’ on frame, ATB found cracks on quad links & mounts as well & warrantied the frame & swingarm for 2010 model 😀

allmountain76
    Free Member

Im the second owner though so i guess this may be an issue.

judderman
    Free Member

most warranties are with the original owner. are you still in contact with him? could you ask him to take it back to where he purchased it from on your behalf?

allmountain76
    Free Member

I am in contact with him but he is in the midlands and i am in Kendal. Might be wasier just to buy a new link. What are the filler cracking issues? Cant see anything on mine.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Talk nicely to your local Whyte dealer and see waht they can do for you, Whyte (ATB Sales) won’t usually get involved with customers directly, but their customer service through the dealer is excellent. I noticed a Crack on my 4 year old E5 earlier in the year, 2 days later I had a new frame 😀

allmountain76
    Free Member

ive spoken to Ghyllside in Ambleside. They are going to speak to Whyte Monday and see what they can do. I was open about it and said i was the second owner. On further inspection the alloy bearing cup has separated from the carbon link probably due to a rough bearing outting it under stress. I explained this to Gyhlside and he seemed to recognise the issue. See what happens Monday i guess, might be really lucky and get onne free, if not i hope its not too extortionate!

allmountain76
    Free Member

£No warranty as expected. Spoke to ATB but they were firm on this, even though they know of issues with cracked and debonded links.

The thing i didnt expect – £135 for a new link including bearings. Thought it would be about half that but thats what you get for being naive.

The moral of this tale – make sure if you buy a used Whyte it doesnt need new bearings (8 of them at £8 quid a pop plus fitting) or a quad link!!

I have found a carbon engineering company who are going to try and inject some epoxy into the void and rebond the alloy bearing housing. Then its just the bearing cost but it may not work / last long!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Whyte E-120 owners – replacement quad links – cracked help!’ is closed to new replies.