Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whyte 901 advise welcome
  • tomvet

I am going to replace my faithful and much abused 2007 Kona blast and went to look at the Whyte 901 yesterday. I ride a lot on natural stuff e.g Wyre forest, Clent hills, Cotwolds but also enjoy trail centre blacks runs with modest jumps and drops e.g Coed Y Brenin MBR, Degla A Line,ect.

Anyone owned a 901 and able to tell me how tough it is? I have also looked at Genesis core but I just didn’t take to it. Not keen on Ragley x7 quite heavy and poorer spec for the money. Saracen zen X looks nice on paper but might be a bit excessive for my needs. Carbon 456 probably exceeds budget which is sub £1200. Thanks

honourablegeorge

BFe Frame – £300
    SLX Groupset – £202 – http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p26298_SLX-660-10-Gruppe-3×10-ohne-Naben-und-Bremsen-.html
    SLX Brakes – £115 or so, roseversand.com
    Hope Hoops – £280 – http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/hope_hoops_front_and_rear_evo_hubs_with_flow_rims/
    RockShox Sektors – £250 – http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/2012-rockshox-sektor-r-forks.html

That’s roughly £1050, leaves you £150 in the budget for bars, stem, rotors etc from Superstar or CRC. And a nicer bike than any of the above, I reckon.

sjp1
    Free Member

Get one!
    I had the 2011 model and it was brilliant! I don’t know how the spec compares to other bikes or wether it’s good value but the geometry is bang on and they just feel great to ride!

I’ve seen the 2011 model quite heavily reduced online aswell

tomvet

Thanks for the input, nice to hear back from someone who has enjoyed one. As far as building a Bfe goes I think I would rather buy an off the peg bike this time.

tomvet

Just had a look at the 2011 model, one of the differences is the addition of the tapered head tube on the 2012. just wondered is this a noticeable improvement in real world terms?

SBrock
    Free Member

I loved my 901 it’s a great trail bike, I think it’s pretty tough and have had no qualms riding it the dark peak, mine is the 2011 model but I sold it last year due to finances but I’m going to buy the improved 2012 model shortly form Rutland as soon as they are reduced.

mboy
    Free Member

Just a quick question, what didn’t you like about the Genesis Core? Incidentally, I ride the Wyre Forest a lot too, have a Genesis Altitude (same geometry as the Core) and love it, think it’s the perfect bike for round there.

Anyway… Known a few people with Whyte’s, either 801/5, 901/5, or the 19 Steel, and everyone who’s owned one seems to love them. My opinion is that on paper, the BB height looks too tall for a hardtail (by about 10-15mm IMO) and the head angle is perhaps too slack, but then I guess the proof is in the riding rather than the on paper geometry.

Though honourablegeorge above also has a point, in that you might well get better VFM, or a better bike overall, going the custom route. There are a few routes you could take, given some bargain prices at the mo. The Carbon 456 might not be out of your price range, On One have some in at £299 frame only right now in matt black only, or they’ve got red’s and yellows in for the silly price of £249! Or there’s the 456 Evo, heavier yes, but £199 and doubt you’d break it. Or the BFe, as mentioned already, a great frame, well worth the money. Or even a bog standard Inbred for £139 if you only want to run 120mm forks max. Or if you like the look of the Ragley Piglet, but not the full build options from CRC, buy a frame only for £269! There’s also the brilliant Rock Lobster 853 frames from Merlin cycles too.

If it was my £1200 though, I’d go 2nd hand on some of the parts, and I’d buy the following…

Genesis Altitude 853 frame on ebay
    Rockshox Reveleation forks and get the travel reduced to 120mm
    SLX Groupset listed already above for just over £200 from Germany
    SLX Brakes from Rose bikes, about £115, plus another £35 for rotors and adaptors from ebay or Superstar.
    XT hubs on 355 rims from Merlin cycles at £160

I make that lot so far at £1060. You could save a bit of money on the forks perhaps, if you found some decent 2nd hand ones. But failing that, you’ve got £140 to find a headset (£20 on an FSA XL2), seatpost (2nd hand on here probably, £15ish), stem (again 2nd hand on here, £15 again), bars (2nd hand on here again, £20), leaving you about £70 for some tyres, pedals and grips of your choice… Oh and cables.

SBrock
    Free Member

head angle is perhaps too slack

It’s a trail bike, not a XC mincing machine

As for building up a bike with 2nd hand bits the attraction of a new shiny bike might appeal more to the OP

tomvet

I am sure that the Core is as equaly capable as the Whyte, it just didn’t appeal a much don’t know why, I prefered the model up from the one in my budget but I think thats just because it was shiny!

I have ridden a couple of bikes with the slack head angle and quite enjoyed the feel of them. That said C456 is worth reconsidering having seen the price those German groupsets can be bought for.

SBrock
    Free Member

I preferred the whyte over the genesis

d00m
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Grand Canyon – I’m struggling to find anything close to it spec wise. I have had a look at the Whyte though and it is also very tempting.

ant1901
    Free Member

ihave a carbon 456 thats almost new what size would u be after

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a trail bike, not a XC mincing machine

Yes, but 67.5 degrees with a 120mm fork is slack even for a trail bike. Just saying like. Horses for courses and all, sometimes people get too hung up on the “slacker is better” thing which I don’t think is always right.

As for building up a bike with 2nd hand bits the attraction of a new shiny bike might appeal more to the OP

Was just giving another opinion. Personally I’d rather (when it comes to frames, and few other bits) buy 2nd hand and get something better, still in VGC, for the same price or cheaper as if bought new. My frame is a Ti Genesis Altitude, I was lucky, I got it for £390 in immaculate condition. Roughly the same price as the steel equivalent new! Sometimes it pays off shopping around 2nd hand.

I am sure that the Core is as equaly capable as the Whyte, it just didn’t appeal a much don’t know why, I prefered the model up from the one in my budget but I think thats just because it was shiny!

That’s as valid a reason as any to be fair. If you’re going to buy it, you’ve got to like the way it looks too!

I have ridden a couple of bikes with the slack head angle and quite enjoyed the feel of them. That said C456 is worth reconsidering having seen the price those German groupsets can be bought for.

If you know you prefer slacker, then fair enough. C456 isn’t exactly a steep bike either anyway, and On One sell “slackset” headsets for them too to slacken them out further. At £249 in red without stickers, I’d be seriously tempted actually.

tomvet

The reason I am slightly averse to buying second hand is that all though uni I ended up scrimping, saving and bodging my bike together from ebay bits. Now that I am actually able to buy one I quite fancy just getting something easy, all integrated and without compatability issues and a warranty. Though I do agree I am sure if you know what you are doing you can get more for less going down your suggested route.

ant1901
    Free Member

hi matewhat size c456 would u be after mine is nearly new with upgraded tech x2 brakes

tomvet

Hi I guess I would be looking at 18 inch frame size.

ant1901
    Free Member

i have the small which is 16/17 i think im 5ft 10 and its perfect
    take a look and mail me on antony.kleeman@gmail.com if interested
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/one-456-carbon-x9-x0-rockshox-hope-mavic-/160790644621?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item256fde878d

thanks

13thfloormonk

I owned a 905 and it was brilliant, I hadn’t realised it was so slack when I bought it but can honestly say it didn’t bother me in the slightest, on the sort of fast skinny singletrack where I thought I’d want a steeper head angle it still ripped along and really taught me how well a bike could corner.

Also the best climbing bike I’ve owned but it might be something to do with the slightly higher 2×10 gearing forcing me to carry more momentum into tricky stuff.

Either way, great bikes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 901 advise welcome’ is closed to new replies.