Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Why don't roadies carry backpacks?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Everytime I see any they never seem to be carrying anything. Don’t they carry tools, nutrition etc?

This is a serious question btw..

Pieface

jersey pockets and seatpacks

Keva
    Free Member

support car ?

…just a guess!

Kev

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1, Back ache, hence why tourers use panniers over 60ltr rucksacks, they work off road as heavy bikes feel worse off road.

2, Didn’t the UCI ban them? Cammelbacks were deemed to be aerodynamic?

Oggles
    Free Member

Jersey pockets – tubes, pump, multi tool, phone, baby food pouches & energy bars.

Same goes for the mountain bike. What the hell do you put in a backpack? (Serious question)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Why would you wear a rucksack on a day ride unless committing?

druidh
    Free Member

Saddlebag has multi tool, levers, tube, patches and some cash
    Pump is on the frame
    Water/drinks are in bottles/cages
    Tri-bag (just behind stem) has bars/gels/keys/phone

Pockets might have an extra jacket and/or a buff.

Not much else needed if it’s just a spin on a road bike.

jhw
    Free Member

2 spare tubes
    maps
    food
    gps
    radio
    tools
    camera
    shock pump
    normal pump
    layers

7hz
    Free Member

* Spare tube
    * Puncture kit
    * Small pump
    * Spare top / waterproof
    * Phone
    * Wallet
    * Allen keys
    * Chain tool
    * Spare brake pads
    * Spare chain link
    * Spare dérailleur hanger
    * Lucozade
    * Water
    * Food

Out of all of that, the spare top is the bulkiest.

I prefer cycling with a backpack, it helps keep my temperature correct, is good in an over-the-handlebars fall, and can be expanded to take things like cameras, radios, glasses, more spare parts etc etc.

If the UCI did ban them for road races, then that is your answer right there. A lot of cycling ‘fashion’ is driven by racing (see – no mudguards on mountain bikes).

twohats
    Free Member

As others said, jersey pockets and water bottles.
    No need to carry all the unnecessary guff that MTBers insist on having in a backpack.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Saddle bag – multi tool, tube, tyre levers, CO2 canisters.

Jersey pockets – Food (energy bars and gels usually for me), mobile, keys, waterproof jacket if needed, camera, money.

Drinks in bottles on frame.

Cant think of anything else that would need to go in a bag.

mrmo
    Free Member

how much crap are people taking on rides FFS, couple of spare tubes, couple of gas canisters and inflator. and a look at the weather forecast on whether a gillet or goretex might be sensible. some money and some food. spare brake pads for a road ride!! do some ****ing maintenance before you go out, the pads last months!!! and as for better temperature regulation, there are few things worse than the feel of a sweaty back and aching shoulders caused by a back pack.

As for mudgards mtbs, i would say the reason people don’t use them is they are generally crap. either move, bend, break, don’t work or all.

MrSmith
    Free Member

mini tool
    co2
    park patch
    tube
    phone
    doorkey
    £10
    bars/gels

all fit in jersey pockets 9i use sunglasses soft bags to keep stuff together, some shorts have radio pockets in the back so i use them for one of the soft bags.
    still room to stuff a gilet/armwarmers in there.
    for long 100mile type rides i may use a saddlebag with extra tube/food

road riding with a camelback just feels wrong

theboatman
    Free Member

Jersey pockets FTW – tube, levers, CO2, mobile, key (just the one to the house), tenner, food (if I’m out for more than a couple of hours)and if need be lightweight jacket. Drinks and calories in the bottles.

samuri
    Free Member

Because roadies know what it’s like to work hard. They’re not fat mountain bikers. Riding at 80% effort for 4 or 5 hours is standard practise for roadies. And you don’t want some dirty great pouch on your back making you sweat nd slowing down heat loss when you’re putting some real effort in. Best just to stow stuff in your pockets or a saddle bag for proper rides.

oliwat
    Free Member

unless on an all day epic, you dont need more than:

-tube (two if your feeling thorny!)
    -C02 inflator (couple of canisters)
    -multi-tool in neopreme case (with spare link, zip-ties, and self adhesive patches
    -mobile phone (in sunglasses bag/pouch, along with crumpled tenner)
    -bottle of something wet
    -bite of something tasty

all that fits inside a couple of jersey pockets

why would you want to carry more?

kimbers

because roadies ride on the road where the worst you are gonna come accross is maybe a pointy sharp nail or a particularly treacherous section of damaged tarmac
    mtbers are far more likely to break bits of their bikes and therefore need more tools/spares
    and riding rockgardens with a water bottle strapped to your frame is a good way to loose all your drink very quickly

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Over the years I have become more roadie than MTBer and in that time I use the camelback a lot less on the MTB, if you have a jersey with pockets and a bottle cage then why carry a big lump on your back, you tend to carry too much crap on a MTB with a pack.

I also think carrying a rucksack is also an excuse for those ‘check how light my bike is’ moments, and is also a fashion thing.

Although I tend to have more stuff ‘on’ the road bike, it’s all essential kit such as guards, bottle cages and seat pack, but as space is limited I tend to think more what I take on a ride. I would only take a camelback on long MTB rides when I will be far away from the beaten track and need to be self sufficient. On a trail centre ride a bottle, tube, multitool, energy bar and a pump is all I need + a few quid for the cafe of course. Free the back!

Kevevs
    Free Member

road is smooooth, mini-pump and water bottles don’t fall out of cages. and You’d be amazed how many jelly babies you can stuff into a gore phantom 2! Saddle pack for cash, keys n puncture stuff. And I’m not even a roadie!

agreed that mtbers take too much stuff on rides. Unless actually going up some mountains!

brooess
    Free Member

+ your position is much flatter on a road bike, a bag would move forward and knock your helmet
    But basically you only take a fraction of the kit. If you need additional water/food you stop off at a shop

RustySpanner

there are few things worse than the feel of a sweaty back and aching shoulders caused by a back pack.

Let me list a few:

1. Being freezing hot/cold for the 30 mile ride home because you didn’t have room to carry/stash that extra layer.

2. Running out of food/water out in the sticks.

3. Puncturing for the third time on a really long road ride and not having the means to mend it.

4. Finding somewhere really, really interesting (old building, pub, cafe, ancient monument etc), but not being able to go and explore because you think looking like a professional racing cyclist is more important than carrying a decent lock.

5. Losing your wallet/phone/bloody expensive minipump or multi-tool out of an unsecured jersey pocket.

A featherlight Alpkit Gourdon 20 litre backpack or a saddlebag/panniers/barbag might not be the epitome of cool, but at least it means I can carry a decent amount of kit and properly enjoy a long ride.

I don’t look like some TDF wannabee MAMIL either, and I get to read my book at cafe stops. 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Thing with road bikes are, you tend to be on a road, hence, if you have a major mechanical. You’re easy picked up.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that sounds like touring not road cycling

RustySpanner

that sounds like touring not road cycling

Why do you feel the need to define things so precisely?

smell_it
    Free Member

Let me list a few:

As a regular ton plus mile and audax roadie, I can only think that no.1 has ever been an issue for me, and even then it’s rare. If you are talking touring I guess there may be more chance of your fears coming true or if you are planning to interupt your ride with a cultural event or maybe even a movie. If you just want to have a backpack/ or you if you cant’t think ahead or are just a bit of a fretter then, also, maybe.

RustySpanner

Fair enough, but what are the REAL disadvantages of a bit more luggage capacity?

A pound or so extra weight for an unladen pannier, barbag or rucksac?
    Weigh (sorry) that against the advantages and you must admit that it’s only image and the desire to conform that stops you.

Bet you’ve got a nice camera. Bet you never take it on road rides.

druidh
    Free Member

Sad? no.
    If I want to out taking photos, I’ll take a nice camera. If I desperately feel the need to snap something I’ve seen whilst riding, I use the phone. Nothing to do with image or wanting to conform (see http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-is-bother-you-what-people-think-of-you)

Sometimes I go out on the tourer and have a more relaxed ride. I might, as you suggest, take a book or something – usually in a handlebar bag.

RustySpanner

Druidh, so you’d actively avoid taking things with you that could enhance the limited time you have available to enjoy the outdoors?
    Even if there was little objective penalty involved?

If so, why?

EDIT:
    I can see the point of being absolutely minimalist if you’re competing in a TT or trying to break a PB, but otherwise, why bother? What, in all honesty do you gain?

And you’re right, there’s nothing wrong with wearing pink. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

RS – the thing is that when I go out on the “fast” road bike, it tend to be just riding, say a 3 or 4 hour loop. It’ll be planned reasonably well in advance, so I’ll have an idea of the weather, where food might be obtained, how much to take with me. That’s just the nature of that kind of riding.

If I have “all day”, I might just take the tourer instead and head off with a less well determined route. In that event, I tend to take things as they come and will change plans accordingly. For a start,I’ll usually wear an “MTB style” shoe and pedal combination so I can walk around a bit.

It’s just a different type of riding really.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh and…there is something enjoyable and fundamental about going out with little kit.

But I can sympathise with your scepticism. As a confirmed hillwalker/mountaineer, I can’t understand these fell-runner types who go out with no kit and rely on speed alone to get them off the hills in the event the weather turns. Parallels?

aracer
    Free Member

A pound or so extra weight for an unladen pannier, barbag or rucksac?
    Weigh (sorry) that against the advantages and you must admit that it’s only image and the desire to conform that stops you

It does of course depend what you mean by road riding. Clearly yours is towards the touring end of the spectrum – nothing wrong with that, I’ve done plenty of that type, though very rarely if it doesn’t involve an overnight stop. For a pannier you need a frame which takes a rack, which rules out nice light fast racing bikes. Do you not understand how riding a nice light bike can be more fun if the point of the ride is to ride a bike rather than to sight-see? I think we’ve already covered the disadvantages of a backpack. Which leaves the bar-bag – we then come back to the pleasure of riding a nice light bike.

Don’t let me stop you carrying loads of stuff round with you, but don’t imagine the rest of us need all that when out for day rides. If you like I’ll do your list:
    1) – never had that problem, have always managed to stash layers in jersey pockets given you don’t need huge amounts if you plan properly and keep riding.
    2) – carry money and buy from shops/garages.
    3) – puncture repair kit, though I don’t actually ever carry one – the only time I ever have had 3 punctures in a road ride was due to dodgy rim strips where what you carry probably wouldn’t have helped – I called the team car.
    4) – if I do that I’m touring, in which case I’d carry more stuff.
    5) – never happened, and I don’t know of anybody it’s happened to. I’m guessing you don’t actually own a roadie top?

aracer
    Free Member

As a confirmed hillwalker/mountaineer, I can’t understand these fell-runner types who go out with no kit and rely on speed alone to get them off the hills in the event the weather turns.

I’ve seen the sort you mean, but personally I’ll always carry a small pack if in proper mountains (the Malverns don’t count), with enough in that I could survive the night. Most normal hillwalkers would still think I wasn’t carrying enough (I didn’t say it would be a comfortable night). I’m sure you get the concept – if you carry too much then you compromise the experience.

RustySpanner

Fair enough Druidh.

Personally, I can’t see the fun in it – tend to think of minimalist MAMILS on expensive carbon wonder machines in the same way I think of people on GS1200 BMW’s dressed in full Dakar kit for a Sunday pootle:
    Fantasists.

If you’re going to race, then race. If not, stop pretending and enjoy yourself a bit more.

We have enough rules in life about without making up new self-imposed ones as well.

aracer
    Free Member

We have enough rules in life about without making up new self-imposed ones as well

What, like having to carry lots of stuff just in case? You’re dead right – bike riding is much more enjoyable if you ignore that one.

RustySpanner

Druidh/aracer, yes, I get your point lads.

I do have a nice light road bike, and a BMX. I wouldn’t carry a pannier on either.

I do feel though that in some misguided attempt to conform with what is increasingly being promoted as the norm, people new to cycling are missing out on the sheer fun of just being out and exploring the country on a bike.

And no aracer, you don’t HAVE to carry anything you don’t want. 🙄

You should be able to ride what you want, when you want, where you want, without the fear of some pathetic hype-swallowing monkey telling you that you’re not a proper road cyclist because you choose to carry a sandwich and a spare pair of gloves.

Kevevs
    Free Member

anyway, it’s no biggy, backpack or not. yer still riding yer bike and doing something physically and mentally positive. Is this just a question of aesthetics?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner is in the CTC before his time!

Or is it the boy scouts well after his time?…

I quite like riding fast-ish but CBA racing, getting out there on 23c’s with minimal kit is great.

rOcKeTdOg

Nowt wrong with the CTC al, you get great cake on CTC runs

crazy-legs

If you’re going to race, then race. If not, stop pretending and enjoy yourself a bit more.

What about when I’m training for my racing? I want to replicate the conditions of my race (ie ride fast for a long period of time with no rest stops and no baggage on me).

So would you mind awfully if I rode how I wanted to rather than riding to your ideal?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m going out on my road bike later and will be taking my camelbak as usual. I hate having my pockets stuffed full of crap – it doesn’t feel right, moves about, pulls on my jersey/jacket, keeps my ipod safe, means i can have a selection of snacks and I worry about losing stuff from pockets (given I I’ve on my own losing my keys would be expensive). Maybe a i look odd to the numerous ‘proper roadies’ I see out but then i’m usually in baggy shorts, long fingered gloves and big ol mtb spds. It’s clearly a personal thing, but having tried both options I prefer to have a rucksack.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why don't roadies carry backpacks?’ is closed to new replies.