Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why does alcohol make me feel ill?
  • miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I drank about 5-6 units last night, over 3-4 hours. I started feeling slightly dizzy but not too bad – walked home, drank a litre and a half of water and went to bed.

10 hours later – why do I still feel dizzy and mildly nauseous?

I would be interested to know how alcohol affects the body – how it affects the brain, liver etc. I'm not particularly interested in cancer statistics – more so how it affects the body on a 'night out'. Does anybody have a helpful link?

Quick Google tells me that alcohol is a diuretic and so you get dehydrated faster – need more water to replace that etc, but does the lack of water really shrink your brain? Is that why it gives you a headache? (I don't actually have a headache. I just feel a bit dizzy)

Is it just 'cause I'm a wuss?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Alcohol makes you dizzy because it's looking for company. Give it some more units and you'll feel better.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I had two bottles of red wine last night.

I feel fine and you're a wuss.

colande
    Free Member

miaowing_kat
    where are you from?
    is it because you are missing a certain enzyme?

edit; i might be getting you confused with someone else on here

uplink
    Free Member

You forgot the kebab, it makes everything OK

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Alcohol is a poison. There are also various chemicals (congeners) in the drinks – some of which that gives it colour and flavour – some of these are also poisonous.

Drinking clear alcoholic drinks and a lot of water will reduce hangovers.

the older you get he worse it is as your liver finds it hard to metabolise the alcohol. Its also worse for women as on the whole they are smaller so get higher blood alcohol levels for the same amount of booze

You could also be short on sugar and salt – sugar c'cos you liver is dealing with alcohol and can't find the spare capacity to up uyour blood sugar and salt 'cos you washed it all out when peeing – especially after all that water.

google says http://www.drinkfocus.com/articles/hangovers/hangover-causes.php

mandog

I hit the wine last night also… after the beer ran out. I've got a stinking hangover too

Hairychested
    Free Member

Alcohol isn't a poison, don't listen to TJ. It's the God's drink of choice. You are not the God clearly 😉

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I do realise my alcohol tolerance is woeful: I'm half-chinese- I suffer from 'asian flush' and get rosy cheeks almost immediately after one drink. I'm guessing as a woman of partially asian descent, I'm not going to have very much alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH).

Last night I drank vodka and had two sourz shots. I'm wondering if my body just doesn't like shots..

Having done a bit more research, this link on how alcohol affects the brain seemed quite interesting.

I like the low salt/sugar theory. Unfortunately last night I was too full/too ill to eat any more cake or crisps 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need the cake and crisps now ( or an isotonic sports drink that contains sodium 😉 ) "Resolve" is my hangover cure of choice, paracetamol, antacid and rehydration salts in one palatable drink. An expensive way to get that stuff but convenient.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

'resolve' sounds horrible… I've just polished off some baked beans (with dash of hot chilli), marmite on toast, green tea and a slice of homemade chocolate cheesecake. think that should do me in the salt and sugar dept. 🙂

algarvebairn
    Free Member

2 litre of red kola or vimto and a tin on Heinz chicken soup is the hangover cure of choice. It isn't working today though – Burns Supper last night!

scaredypants

a large bloody mary works well if you really need it – wouldn't recommend on a regular basis, mind

samuri
    Free Member

I'm guessing as a woman of partially asian descent, I'm not going to have very much alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH).

I knew a lad of Indian descent who would get drunk on a single pint and phone in sick for the next two days. Didn't seem to stop him doing it again though.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I´ve gone blind again.

scaredypants

I'm guessing as a woman of partially asian descent, I'm not going to have very much alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH)

aldehyde dehydrogenase is what you're likely short on

epicyclo

I have done extensive research on this several years ago and came to the conclusion that it is caused by poor bottle hygiene, particularly sediment.

For example, in Oz, I once spent a night getting through a few bottles of Bundy Rum with some friends. We stayed sober throughout, but our singing, dancing, and fighting abilities were all enhanced. Unfortunately we ran out of Bundy at about 5am and so polished off a couple of bottles of Port. Shortly after this all of us felt unwell and the symptoms continued for most of the next day. The scientific consensus amongst us was that there must have been something unclean at the bottom of one of the bottles of Port, because up until then we all agreed that we were completely sober and clear-headed.

Who_else
    Free Member

Water poisoning?

waynekerr
    Free Member

You need Irn Bru.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as TJ said, it's a poison 🙁

Houns

Sourz shots, enough to make anyone feel shocking

molgrips
    Free Member

I also have great difficulty drinking alcohol.. I can't even manage one drink.. it's just too.. unpleasant? I just can't get it past my lips. My head hurts a lot and it sort of stings…

ski
    Free Member

Putting my sensible hat on….

Could it be something you ate?

epicyclo

Who_else – Member
    Water poisoning?

You may be on to something there.

I've just checked the contents of my drinks cupboard, and noticed that most of them have at least 50% water and some even more.

There is considerable scientific consesus that it is a dangerous substance. The facts are undeniable.

ex-pat
    Free Member

+1 for resolve. It's always worked for me too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why does alcohol make me feel ill?’ is closed to new replies.