• This topic has 160 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rig.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Why do XC riders wear helmets?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

I was thinking, if hill-walkers ad fell runners don't wear helmets, why should XC riders wear helmets? Or is it the walkers and runners who have got it wrong, and we'll be seeing them putting lids on?

Comments please.

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

Poor effort.

Edric64
    Free Member

Your point is?

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I don't see what XC riding and walking and running has in common?

Edit: That would warrant a helmet anyway.

Northwind

I award this an F. Minus.

Spamf
    Free Member

I've religiously worn a helmet since starting riding off road seven years ago, but on big, slow multi-day tours, whats the difference between riding and walking /running?

Do others not wear helmets for straight forward riding?

Not a wind up!! I'm genuinely interested in your views.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Are you twelve? In fact, no, that is an insult to twelve year olds.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I want to reply, but cant be bothered. Sorry

flashes
    Free Member

I'm glad I was wearing one when nutting a tree during Bikefest……….

DezB
    Free Member

Why do XC riders wear helmets?

To protect the head area.

rOcKeTdOg

TJ has a new login?

Spamf
    Free Member

OK, why don't walkers / fell runners wear helmets then?
    By my reckoning, they are just as in danger as an XC rider.

stratobiker
    Free Member

but on big, slow multi-day tours

….

I can see what you're getting at….

Me, I just wear a helmet.

colande
    Free Member

nosemineb – Member
    I want to reply, but cant be bothered. Sorry

haha my favourite reply to the thread,
    i'd say that's an oxymoron

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

OK, why don't walkers / fell runners wear helmets then?
    By my reckoning, they are just as in danger as an XC rider.

Because they exceed 20mph downhill weaving through trees?

Edric64
    Free Member

Because they don't fall off bikes at over 30 miles an hour **** stupid thread if you ask me

Spamf
    Free Member

Have you never seen a fell runner tanking it off something like Ingleborough?

fruitbat

I'm probably what would be classed as an XC rider. Once I was cycling (on a road mind) and I fell off the bike. I broke my collar bone and cracked my helmet. Had I not been wearing a helmet I might have cracked my head.

roughneck
    Free Member

Spamf, I bet you don't wear a helmet on the road because you think you look silly

nosemineb
    Free Member

i'd say that's an oxymoron

Yeah you got me! 😳
    When i fall in fell running its usually more of a slide, i tend to hit the ground harder when falling from the bike and your always that bit higher when riding and usually going faster to.

Spamf
    Free Member

I understand lots of people have "I fell off and hit my head. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet." Stories, but I'm asking why its seen as acceptable that fell runners wear no helmets despite covering similar terrain at similar speeds, but an XC rider is seen as somewhat reckless if not wearing a helmet?

klunky
    Free Member

Clearly Spamf rides his bike so slowly he has no need for a helmet.
    If he was less of a pussy and rode his bike faster on the downhills he would understand.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Go n ask on a fell runners forum. 🙄

xc-steve
    Free Member

Thatcher?!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Today's ride saw 37mph on the Garmin.
    'Nuff said.

Grimy
    Free Member

Because the art of an unplanned dismount from a bike typically ends in you going up and over with a raft of machinery following you, typically landing on if not close to your head. Landing on your head off a bike has a high probability because of the mechanics of the starting position, similar to that of toast always landing jam side down when droped from a worktop.

Id hazzard a guess that fell runers typically go straight down on there arse seeing as they dont have a large round pivot point infront of them called a wheel, trying to send them up and over.

So there a perfectly valid reason to wear a lid on a bike, regardless of speed or terain!

ton

i wear on cos of peer pressure
    don't need one cos my head is like a breezebloc.

Spamf
    Free Member

I'm surprised at the vitriol from this thread also. Its the first time I've been on the receiving end (not that I dish it out).
    So much for "friendly community".

PS Thanks Grimy for the one reasoned response

Why do cricketers and american football players wear helmets when baseball and rugby players don't ?

Edric64
    Free Member

Crashed on the road 3 weeks ago when I was hit by a van door and nutted a wall and split my helmet open .I always wear one

Why have tortoises got shells and rabbits haven't ?
    Rabbits are faster.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

"fell runners wear no helmets despite covering similar terrain at similar speeds,…."

You either run monstrously quickly or ride horrendously slowly.

goonie
    Free Member

you can never predict what is going to happen, that rush of blood to the head when you want to have a bit of fun I would rather be safe than sorry especially after what happend to Liam Neesons wife on a basic sking lesson!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i dont wear one, for just flat xc riding…. or climbs either unless i no its got some funny bits in the decents. i also dont see the point in xc but when you ride xc and have also some technical then i would. also a lot of street riding ie stairs and jumping etc on trails then i do also….

but i see what your saying with just tootling along on a flat…

Why do skydivers wear helmets ?
    If you hit the ground at 200mph a helmet won't do much good ?

Why do canoeists wear helmets ?
    They only go slow and they're only going to land in water anyway.

juan
    Free Member

Why do cricketers and american football players wear helmets when baseball and rugby players don't ?

First two are sport played by english people or ex english colonies. The later is played byt french scots welsh and irish, real men 😉

Nuff said

spooky_b329

Maybe its a bit like Snowboarding…helmets are slowly becoming more common, they are bound to start appearing in other sports where there is a need. Fell running…I dunno. If runners get head injuries from falling, maybe you will start to see helmets…

BTW, its not Vitriol, everyone is just being sarcastic as they think (possibly correctly) that you are trolling 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Similar speeds? WTF? Even the best fell runner only really comes close to an MTBer on the flat – I think they do 5 mile runs in about 35-40 minutes. That's a pretty poor average for an MTB offroad. Not to mention the additional height.

westkipper
    Free Member

FWIW, I pretty much don't wear a helmet for any form of cycling now that I no longer have to (racing)
    I'm still not dead, despite trying hard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Why do XC riders wear helmets?’ is closed to new replies.